post op help list | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post op help list post op help list

Unread 03-09-2004, 01:37 AM
post op help list

This morning as I bent down looking for lost shoes,whilst loading the washing machine and putting the dishes away all at the same time as packing kids lunchboxes and nagging them to eat some breakfast,it dawned on me how tricky I am going to find the early post op days at home.
I have 5 kids,aged between 5 and 12 years,and am due to have TVH soon.I have tried to explain to them that I will be restricted in what I can do initially,but even my hubby is having difficulty getting to grips with this.
Thinking about putting together a list of my can and cant do's.Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2004, 04:26 AM
post op help list

Hi, try this click here

It's a great list of do's and don'ts for after a hyst. Hope it helps you.

Best wishes.

s
Unread 03-09-2004, 06:10 AM
post op help list

I too have been wondering the same thing. There are so many things that you bend over for that you don't even think about. So, after you start feeling good again, but still are restricted in what you can do, how do you keep yourself from automatically bending over to pick something up or pat the cat or dog, etc.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2004, 07:24 AM
post op help list

That is the hardest part for me, feeling good, but still following directions. My restrictions were lifted significantly 1 week post op. Initially, I was only allowed to lift/carry up to 2 lbs and do absolutely NO housework, none, notta!!! At one week, I was increased to 10 lbs and light housework. Still no vacuuming, ironing, or carrying the laundry basket for the entire 6 weeks post op. I do the laundry, but I make several trips to fill the washer and empty the dryer. I was released to drive at 1 week post op also - as long as I wasn't on any pain meds. for at least 6 hours prior to driving.

The only mistake I made was at 4 days post op while still on the 2 lb restriction. I had made a chili in the crock pot (daughter took it out of the cabinet for me earlier in the morning). When it was time for dinner, I absintmindedly (sp) carried the crock pot to the table. It was way more than 2 lbs and I felt it as I sat it down on the table. I was and still am very contious and careful about every thing I lift or bend for now.

Just remember to constantly think about the restrictions your doctor gives you.

As for your kids, I hope you will be surprise at how much they will want to help you. My first day home from the castle, my 8 year old daughter had a no school day. She made a menu for me to order breakfast, lunch and dinner from. It even had drinks and dessert choices. For dinner, I made sure to have several family size frozen dinners in the freezer that she could put on a cookie sheet and put in the oven. She loved helping out and feeling like she was in charge.

Good luck and let everyone else do the housework.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register