13 days post hysterectomy: When is my belly gonna go down and when will I have a real BM??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

13 days post hysterectomy: When is my belly gonna go down and when will I have a real BM??? 13 days post hysterectomy: When is my belly gonna go down and when will I have a real BM???

Unread 11-10-2015, 12:59 PM
13 days post hysterectomy: When is my belly gonna go down and when will I have a real BM???

It's been 13 days since my total abdominal hysterectomy . Pain is much better still have discomfort . When is my belly gonna go down and when will I have a real BM???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2015, 01:12 PM
Re: 13 days

My swelling started to go down at about 6 weeks. As far as the BM, what do you mean by a 'real' one? I assume that at 13 days, you have had some. Are you off of narcotics? They can contribute to bowel issues. Drinking water, eating fiber and walking, walking walking with help with the bowels.
Unread 11-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Re: 13 days

Swelly belly will be your constant companion for many weeks to come. Some days it will be better, others worse. Movement helps to keep fluid from building up, I found I had great luck with wearing my belly binder and an ice pack. I'm almost 5 months post op and my swelly belly lasted through 12 weeks and even now, if I exercise really strenuously, I'll swell a bit at night. It is very normal (but annoying).

I see coughy16 asked the same things I would - are you having any bowel movements? If they are hard and small, you may benefit from a stool softener. Hydration is key so juices, water, soups or teas and natural high-fiber foods like apples and prunes can help regulate you. Try to steer clear of gassy (beans, broccoli, onions) or greasy foods. Finally, narcotics can cause constipation so if you are still taking them, that could be the leading cause of you discomfort.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2015, 08:36 AM
13 days post hysterectomy: When is my belly gonna go down and when will I have a real BM???

The swelling could be related to your bowel issues, so addressing those can also help. In addition to what the others have recommemded, try increasing your intake of magnesium, which can help to normalize bowel function; good sources include leafy greens, nuts and seeds, dark chocolate, or a good quality supplement. Try a smoothie with almond milk, spinach, cherries and ground flaxseeds; that's what ultimately worked for me. As for tea, my go-to for constipation is peppermint. In addition to beans, onions, and broccoli, foods to avoid include cabbage and its other relatives, cucumbers, melons, pears, and artificial sweeteners. Best wishes for your continued recovery!
Unread 11-11-2015, 08:40 AM
Re: 13 days post hysterectomy: When is my belly gonna go down and when will I have a real BM???

Thanks ladies! I am having small BMs (rocks). I stopped taking the heavy meds just sticking with Motrin. The swelling will last THAT long?????! I'm just hanging in here!
Unread 11-11-2015, 02:42 PM
Re: 13 days post hysterectomy: When is my belly gonna go down and when will I have a real BM???

Check with your doctor about stool softeners, I was on Docalce 2x a day, but used Milk of Magnesia the 3rd day after surgery. I was so swollen and uncomfortable until I was able to go. I also found that laying on my left side was helpful too. Drinking fluids helped a bunch. Feel better soon!
Unread 11-11-2015, 04:21 PM

Apparently the pain meds (I had Motrin & Percocet) contribute to constipation. A natural laxative called Swiss Kriss worked for me, there's a delay of a few hours described on the bottle before it takes effect. I had a small amount of cramping with it but it is effective, and I didn't think the gel caps they sent me home with worked at all.

feel better soon!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register