Surgery coming up, kids at home. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery coming up, kids at home. Surgery coming up, kids at home.

Unread 05-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Surgery coming up, kids at home.

Hi. I am having a TAH, keeping ovaries. My kids are 9 and 11 and they are going to be home with me (off for the summer) during my recovery. My husband is going to be back at work and I am feeling so guilty that I won't be able to do things with them. My 9 year old daughter is already upset about that and my husband seems to think I am being dumb. Anyone been through anything similar? I need advice. This board has been amazing..seems like the surgery isn't as bad as your mind makes it out to be. I really hope that's the case with me too. Thanks Sisters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Re: Surgery coming up, kids at home.

Hi!! My boys are 8 & 11 and will be home with me for my recovery as well. Just wanted you to know-I feel just like you do. Luckily we have a pool in our development and another mom in my neighborhood told me she'll take the boys with her daily to swim if they want.
Maybe you can set up some "play dates" at their friends houses during your first few recovery days or have a girlfriend or family member that would take them to a park for the day? It works for me to tell my sons that they have things to look forward to. Best Wishes!!
Unread 05-29-2011, 07:12 PM

Thanks..when is yours? Mine is June 24th. I had kidney surgery 10 years ago, but I am still scared. I give 100% to my kids. I love being a mom..I guess I am having a case of mother's guilt. Thanks for the ideas..I have a freind who offered to take them. My dauhter is glued to me all the time and she is having a hard time with the thought of me being diwn for the count which in turn is making me stress out. Good luck with your surgery..I am so ready to get mine out. I have s grapefruit size fibroid!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena1986 View Post
Thanks..when is yours? Mine is June 24th. I had kidney surgery 10 years ago, but I am still scared. I give 100% to my kids. I love being a mom..I guess I am having a case of mother's guilt. Thanks for the ideas..I have a freind who offered to take them. My dauhter is glued to me all the time and she is having a hard time with the thought of me being diwn for the count which in turn is making me stress out. Good luck with your surgery..I am so ready to get mine out. I have s grapefruit size fibroid!
Mine is on June 16. I am scared too-have never had any surgery before besides having my wisdom teeth out when I was 19! I also have 2 large fibroids.
I understand-I have been feeling that guilty feeling too-but just making plans for them to go to my inlaws a few days and with the neighbor to our neighborhood pool has made me feel alittle bit better, plus telling them that they will be busy doing this and that makes them excited. Good luck to you as well...our babies will be fine and we will too! Hugs!!
Unread 05-29-2011, 07:51 PM

What about some movies you can watch together? Or books you can read to her, or she can read to you? Do you knit/crochet/craft, and maybe you can 'teach' her from your sickbed? Is she crafty at all - maybe you can stock up on crafts she can do w/ little assistance while you rest, and she can show you the finished product when you wake! I love Joann/Michaels/Ben Franklin for great craft projects.

My kiddos are 4 and 7 and I've been stocking up on stuff they can do on their own and/or w/ little help from mom. And I'm making a list of RedBox movies DH can pick up each day that we can watch together. Plus we are reading the Harry Potter series, so I can read those to my older one while the little one is busy elsewhere.

Good luck! You are not alone!!!!
Unread 05-29-2011, 07:53 PM

I too have kids home for the summer 11, 12, 13 and 17 and feel the same as you about feeling guilty for being down. What we have done so far that works is stocked up on games, movies and activities that I could do while recuperating. Each kid takes turns picking so no arguments. We also have a pool that the hubby or friends have taken them to and they have spent a few nights off with friends. I joke and tell them to enjoy the time with friends now because when I'm up and moving again it's mommy time. My kids have been such a big help and we will going on a great trip together once I get the all clear as a thank you for hanging in there. It's amazing how responsible they have become to help me out. I keep reminding them that this in the long run will make a healthier more active mom and so far it has worked out. Wishing the best and hope all goes as well as possible.
Unread 05-29-2011, 09:41 PM

I have boys ages 8 and 12 at home too. We are trying to do some things now....going to the movies, chuck e cheese etc etc so that being home with a sickly cranky mom for 4 weeks wont be such a drag LOL Thankfully they both love movies and video games so Ill buy them a new xbox came prior to my date with the castle, and we have the streaming netflix ready to go when Im home
Unread 05-30-2011, 06:31 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions..I am probably worrying too much! I am hoping for a speedy recovery..I am going back to taking acupuncture too. Thanks to you all..this site is the best!! I feel so "normal" here with all of you who really understand what I am going through.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register