Faxed Pre-op Questions...got Answers!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Faxed Pre-op Questions...got Answers!! Faxed Pre-op Questions...got Answers!!

Unread 02-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Faxed Pre-op Questions...got Answers!!

Well it worked, I had a tough time getting answers by calling the office, they seemed to be very busy. So I typed them up and faxed them in 2 days ago, and low and behold they came back, mostly answered.

I am so pleased - the only thing that was bad was they put the wrong last name on the cover sheet, everything else was great, I am just hoping that someone called or said something while she was writing and she mistakenly wrote the wrong last name - ANYWAY...

HERE IS MY LIST OF Qs & As - THIS IS LONG SO BEWARE!!!

1. How long will surgery take? I believe I am first in line that day, what time will we start??
A -AROUND 1 HOUR - WILL BE IN OR AT 7:30

2. Exactly what will be removed? Uterus, ovaries, tubes, cervix, appendix? (I would like you to do whatever possible to save my ovaries)
A - TO BE DISCUSSED AT PRE-OP

3. How long will I be in the hospital?
A- 2-3 DAYS

4. How long will I be on bed rest?
A- TILL AWAKE

5. Will a pathology report be done of all the organs removed? I do want one done.
A- YES
What about a photograph of what was removed?
A- NOT ROUTINELY

6. How long for the results of the pathology report to come in?
A- ABOUT 1 WEEK

7. Do I need to discontinue taking pain relievers (Advil, Alieve, Excedrin Migrane) prior to surgery? How soon before?
A- 1 WEEK - AS THEY ARE BLOOD THINNERS

8. What medication will I be on for pain in the hospital and when I am home? Are there non-narcotic choices?? I tend to have a lot of nausea w/ narcotic pain killers, can I have an anti-nausea med. if narcotic are used??
A- DISCUSS @ PRE-OP VISIT - ARE A VARIETY OF CHOICES

9. Will the doctor make a bladder tack?
A- NOT SCHEDULED

10. Will the doctor use a tummy binder on me? Will I need one?
A- NO

11. If my ovaries must be removed, when will I start hormones (HRT)? Most important: will the doctor help me to adjust if needed or should I see my family doctor to help with this?
A - GYN WILL HANDLE THIS - USUALLY START RIGHT AWAY

12. If I am keeping my ovaries, how will I know if they are working post-op? if they shut down temporarily and I experience hot flashes, how long will I endure menopause symptoms before the ovaries kick back in?
A- SHOULD CONTINUE TO WORK

13. Will I need any preparation before surgery? (enema, stool softener, liquid diet, etc)
A - NO

14. I take certain meds regularly (Wellbutrin, Melatonin), will I be allowed to take these to the hospital with me?
A- NO - WILL USE HOSPITAL DRUGS, WILL BE PRESCRIBED BY DR.

15. I've heard that there is a problem with gas after surgery and have been told that Over-the-Counter medicines such as Gas-X and mint tea can help. Is it OK if I take some along to the hospital with me?
A - THEY PREFER YOU ONLY USE DRUGS FROM HOSPITAL PHARMACY SO THEY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TAKING

21. What kind of anesthesia will I have?
A - GENERAL ANSTHEIA

22. Will I be in a private room in the hospital?? What floor will I be on?? Are cell phones ok on this floor??
A - DEPENDENT ON YOUR PREFERENCE AND AVAILABILITY OF ROOMS IN HOSPITAL.

23. What can I expect during my pre-op apt. that is scheduled March 9, (the day before surgery)
A- ANSWERS TO ALL YOUR QUESTIONS
INSTRUCTIONS AS TO WHERE TO BE AND WHEN
AN EXPLANATION OF THE PROCCEDURES AND WHAT TO EXPECT AFTERWARDS
LAB WORK AS NEEDED

SO - ALL IN ALL I am pretty happy w/ the results of the fax, I feel like I got some much needed information.

I am going to call and make sure they know they put the wrong name on the fax, I did include my whole name, address, phone # and surgery info in my cover letter to them, so I am pretty certain they know who they are talking about - I HOPE!!!

Anyway, hope this helps anyone who is still having a hard time getting answers from their dr. office, the FAX worked!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2005, 11:11 AM

wow,

That was a great list of questions. It has given me thoughts as to what I want to ask my dr in May when i need to go and schedule my surgery.

It is also good to see someone else concerned about the after surgery pain killiers.. I really don't want to have nausea.

Jaimi
Unread 02-17-2005, 11:22 AM

Can you imagine having to throw up with an abdominal incision - YIKES!!

I learned from my 13 year old daughters experience, she had tonsils and adenoids taken out last summer and had a reaction to the morphine, and could not quit throwing up - and went into shock - ended up back in the ER and then in the hospital for 3 more days - and threw up over an over and over - on that wound - yowiee -

anyway

they finally gave her some anti-nausea meds and changed her pain killers and she was much better.

LESSON LEARNED!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2005, 11:41 AM

Rochelle-What a smart girl to fax them the questions!!Great idea!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register