Why so many problems with the bladder and the need for catheters? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why so many problems with the bladder and the need for catheters? Why so many problems with the bladder and the need for catheters?

Unread 02-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Why so many problems with the bladder and the need for catheters?

Hello. I am new to this site and facing a Vaginal Hysterectomy, with a rectocyle and cystocyle repair. I've seen two doctors and they both agree I need to have it done, esp. hysterectomy, since my cervix is now prolapsed and I am most uncomfortable. I don't have a lot of bladder problems, yet, a bit leaking when coughing and sometimes when I sit down. But, usually, it's because I should have used the bathroom earlier..

Here is what scares me: CATHETERS! I cannot stand the thought of being stuck on a catheter for days or weeks. I've had just the hysterectomy and no repairs, but I understand that removing the uterus weakens the support for the bladder and I will need to have the sling then.

Anyone out there have thoughts on this: Does one have better prognosis having an abdominal surgery for repairs versus vaginal surgery, in regards to bladder setbacks?

If I wasn't so uncomfortable, I would put this off for a few more months, but feel like I am getting worse, week by week.

Thanks for your response and support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2013, 05:58 AM
Re: Why so many problems with the bladder and the need for catheters?

Hi Shlynn,
I had a TVH with enterocele & rectocele repair on 1/29. It sounds like our surgeries are similae except for your cystocele. I think the catheter is necessary to keep the area clean and dry during surgery, and I think for a cystocele that it would be mandatory.

I had similar concerns about the cathetwr prior to surgery, but after I was glad I had it. I had a spinal, and there was no way I could hace gotten out of bed to pee during the first 12 hours after surgery. I also cannot imagine hoisting myself onto a bedpan!
I was really worried about taking the catheter out, but it was no problem. It took a few minutes to pee, but it all worked out. I have read that the catheter stays in longer for the cystocele, but you want things to heal properly.

Regarding vaginal vs. abdominal surgery...I would ask your surgeon that one. I believe that recovery from a vaginal surgery is easier because there is not an incision to heal along with everything else, but there could be benefits to having it done abdominally.

Whatever you decide, you have come to the right place for support! Let us know how things progress...Everything will be ok, whatever you decide:-)
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:08 AM

You also need to remember that the majority of ladies who have no issues with voiding after surgery do not post. It is the ladies that do have issues that post so you are getting a disproportionate view of problems with catheters.

Personally, I loved having the catheter overnight so I didn't have to get up. It was removed the next morning and I had zero problems voiding.

If you do have an issue, a little trick to try is to pretend you are blowing through a straw. I don't know why it works but it does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2013, 10:43 AM

Did you say you will have to have a cathedar for weeks! I have only ever had to have one til I was aware enough it was there, then threw a fit til they took it out. I don't blame you for being leery about that. It is nice to not have to get up to go to the bathroom for a day or so, but I have nothing to compare it too past that. My dr is doing my hysterectomy abdominally, because in past surgeries I have had a lot of scarring that had to be revived. From around the uterus and ovaries. He wants to have a closer look while he is in there to make sure he separates it from the bladder with no issues. He has scheduled a general surgeon to assist, in case the scarring is attached to the bladder. I think that is kind of a benefit of abdominal if there are already issues with the bladder. That's just one dr opinion, though.
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:46 PM

That was the one thing I was NOT looking forward to, the catheter. I didn't have any additional repairs but had the catheter for just under 20 hours. I barely noticed it and was thankful I didn't have to get out of bed to use the bathroom after surgery. I had the catheter and packing removed about 6 am the morning after the surgery and it didn't hurt or bother me at all! The packing, on the other hand, felt extremely weird when they removed it- I thought it was never going to finish coming out , man they pack a lot in there.
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:57 PM

I am worried about coming home with one and the possibly catching on my own.
Unread 02-03-2013, 03:23 PM

I would ask your doctor what the chances are of needing one at home. I was told that I would only come home with one if I couldn't void after they took it out in the hospital. On that I must commend the nurse. when the time came to remove my cath they filled my bladder with saline solution before removing it. I went to the bathroom immediately after they pulled it and had no trouble voiding then, or since.
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:25 PM

I had the surgery you're looking at - had the bladder sling too. Previously, I had trouble with my bladder every time I had surgery - it's often a reaction to the anaesthetic. In this case they are also manipulating the bladder which can be shocking to it.

They told me that they usually take the cath out on day 2 but since I have had issues - they took it out on day 3. I could pee right away but didn't feel like I was emptying properly - they had a little handheld ultrasound that they could check to see how empty the bladder was - and I was okay.
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:45 PM

Perhaps I should suggest the Saline Solution, then? No one else has commented on this, yet. It this a "trick" an experienced nurse knows
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:50 PM

Years ago, after having surgery to remove a hemorrhaging cyst, and "clean up" endometrosis, I could not pee after the catheter came up. A clever nurse, stuck me on bed pan, put warm water in there, and dumped in peppermint oil. Seriously, worked like a charm. I'm making a run to the grocery story and grabbing some of this oil.

Anyhone heard of other tricks to help one pee in the hospital?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register