Scheduled LAVH Upcoming hysterectomy 10/13: serious anxiety! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 10/13: serious anxiety! Upcoming hysterectomy 10/13: serious anxiety!

Unread 10-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 10/13: serious anxiety!

My hysterectomy is 10.13. I've had all my pre op visits and blood work so I'm ready to go. But I have issues with anxiety and I'm freaking out. I am trying so hard to just relax about it but I have to admit, I'm scared. I've never had a surgery where you are put under and intubated. I've had 3 c-sections but those weren't a big deal. And if my surgeon has complications she'll have to do abdominal. I polled my friends on FB and found nothing but terrible reviews for the hospital I'm going to. I'm freaked out about being in pain and being ignored by the nurses. My husband isn't a fan of hospitals and i'm nervous about him not being there. I'll probably have to share a room - which I've never done either. Oh, man. How do I get rid of this anxiety???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 10/13: serious anxiety!

Ha ha, the best advice I can give is to keep busy! And also, exactly who is a fan of hospitals? I HATE that excuse, everyone in their right mind hates hospitals! I would tell my husband to suck it up and be there if I were you. He is an adult, right? I had never been in a hospital or had surgery of any kind before my hyst, and I too was scared to death. But when I got to the hospital, they were so nice, and did everything to put me at ease. I am betting that if you treat them nicely, they will take good care of you! I wasn't in much pain after my surgery, but if you are worried about the hospital ignoring you, than that is all the more reason for your husband to man up and be there to help if that should happen. My hospital didn't have great reviews and wouldn't have been my first choice, but my gyn is amazing and I wanted her to do the surgery so I went there and they were amazing to me. I remember being wheeled into the OR, and then being wheeled into my room, and don't remember anything in between. The breathing tube will go in and come out while you are sleeping so no need to worry about that. I woke up feeling good and pain free. I was left with a dry mouth afterwards and a slightly irritated throat. Very small irritations given that I had just had major surgery! Best of luck to you, before you know it, you will be done and wondering what all the worrying was about :-)
Unread 10-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 10/13: serious anxiety!

Mine is coming up also! 10-17!!!! Ugh I'm driving myself and my husband crazy with worry. I have not had surgery either except tonsils when I was like five. But I have been anemic due to my extreme menstrual cycles and went to family doctor yesterday and did blood work to find out my thyroid is out of whack too! I'm just letting you know that you are not alone in worrying. Two things help me with worrying-either stay busy or I absolutely love aromatherapy and that helps a lot! Hoping all goes well for you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2014, 03:26 PM

I was scared to death before my surgery. It was my first major surgery, I had had a kidney stone removed once but I didn't get cut open for that. If you are having severe anxiety you can get a perscription to take to help calm you before surgery, just call your doctor. As for your husband I agree with the above response, no one likes hospitals he just needs to man up and be there for you. I was in quite a bit of pain the day of surgery and my nurses were very good at giving me more when I needed it just be vocal and let them know when you need it
Unread 10-07-2014, 03:57 PM

mine is the 13th also! I go for pre op Friday morning
Unread 10-07-2014, 05:03 PM

Hi
I had my op on the 30th May this year and was terrified! I understand how you are feeling. I can honestly say that I felt no pain after my op at all. The nurses will look after you, try and relax. The worst part of all is now...the waiting. I had a wonderful recovery, reading and resting and you will too. I will be thinking of you, take deep breaths and keep telling yourself you'll be fine. X
Unread 10-07-2014, 05:18 PM

Thank you girls - I didn't mean to paint my husband in a bad light. He's wonderful, but we also have 4 kids at home who will need him too. And I've had bad experiences previously at a hospital in Texas. So I have fears. I was left in a room and ignored for hours at a time. It was awful. But I'm doing my best to relax and put it in God's hands. Thank you for your support!
Unread 10-07-2014, 06:08 PM

My op was on 9/30. I was so anxious but the nurses were great. They took great care of me. I came home same day and the first week has been up and down but nothing horrible. I feel great today. I know it is easier said than done but try to relax. I am so glad to be on the other side. I wish you the best of luck.
Unread 10-07-2014, 08:51 PM

Me too! It's all gonna be fine! I think it's a blessing and a curse when we are simply trying to educate ourselves; we read a lot of bad reviews with good news sprinkled in! With that said, there will always be bad reviews no matter where we go, but I guess we have to focus on the fact that everyone's experience is different. This surgery is of course a big step, but at least we have this site to back us up! Sigh!! As far as anxiety, under normal circumstances, what are some of the things that relax you? I know I've been trying to do some things that I love; even just something small, like watching the sun rise. Peace and healing to you!!
Unread 10-07-2014, 09:19 PM

Hi! I had a TVH on Sept. 17. I, too, suffer from anxiety and take regular medication to help me stay level and not freak out. That said, I did get quite nervous in the last few days before my surgery. It is totally NORMAL to be anxious before surgery. But I want to tell you that all will be well. All will be well. My hospital was not great with reviews either but I loved my GYN and trusted him. Remember, they pick the staff they want with them in surgery so if you trust your doctor, trust that he/she will choose good, qualified anesthesiologists, etc. and the beauty of anesthesia is that you go to sleep and wake up with no memory of the surgery at all! I also had 2 c-sections previously and this was a breeze compared to them...and I had no complications with either of my sections! I am 3 weeks post op tomorrow and have begun celebrating the beauty of never having a cycle again! I am pain free and feel totally back to normal. Soon, YOU will be on the "other side" and telling other sisters not to worry!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register