Damage to crowns on front teeth?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Damage to crowns on front teeth?? Damage to crowns on front teeth??

Unread 02-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Damage to crowns on front teeth??

Okay, I just came from the dentist. I just spent a small fortune (okay not so small) having the crowns on my four top front teeth replaced.

As I was leaving, I chatted with my dental hygenist. I wanted to tell her my hysterectomy was next month, since she and I had talked about it before (she had one several years ago). She said "Don't forget to tell the anaesthesiologist (sp) about your crowns!! I've seen them damaged by anaesthesiologists when they put the tube in!"

So now I am more scared about this than I am about the surgery. I am serious, I spent a LOT of money on these, even took out a loan to pay it off. If anything happens to them, I am going to be beside myself.

Anyone ever hear of this happening? Anyone here have crowns on their front teeth?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2008, 01:19 PM

Hi Cathy,
i worked in a dental lab for 18 years and have never heard of any such incident. With all that is going on i think this should be the least of your worries. Porcelain crowns are very stong if that is what you do have. If they are acrylic they could pick up some staining, but i did think your dentist would be able to help you if something does happen. Have a safe surgery, and may God keep you. BB
Unread 02-20-2008, 01:19 PM

When I had pre-op last Friday, that was one of the big questions from the anesthiologist about crowns. I have none but I wear a night guard, I am a night time teeth grinder. Let them know at pre-op. Good Luck, I am less than 48 hours to the castle..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2008, 02:16 PM

I have crowns and everything was fine.. Good luck!
Unread 02-20-2008, 02:34 PM

Hi
I have a capped tooth, and it was no problem. BUT, its only a problem anyway if you have a general and they put a tube down your throat. So you can ask if you can have a different anesthetic--depending on medical condistion an epidural may work for you and its better at post surgery pain management (for the first hours after) anyway. I had epidurals for two other surgeries but couldn't for the hysterectomy due to anemia--if youare not anemic maybe its an option for you.
Deb
Unread 02-20-2008, 02:52 PM

Hi Cathy in Boston!!

Yes, the anesthesiologist will ask you about your teeth. What they told me is that they are looking for any removable teeth or temporary crowns that could fall out, while they are inserting the tubes for anesthesia. They always ask at surgery, just to make sure. I have crowns on a couple of my back teeth. They are cemented in and will not fall out anytime too soon! I had no problems with my crowns with anesthesia. I understand your concerns.....crowns are a lot of money for sure. I had to get crowns because there was no flouride in the water where I lived as a child. No flouride leads to soft teeth, which leads to cavities. I'm happy to know that water in many areas of our country is flouridated now.

I wish you all the luck and best wishes for your surgery.

Peace, Irish Bridie

P.S. Go Red Sox!!!!!! My family and I live in NC now but have lived all over the country. We have always supported the Bosox, wherever we lived! We are originally from New England......once a Red Sox fan.........always a Red Sox fan!!!! Take me out to the ballgame.............
Unread 02-20-2008, 03:02 PM

I have crowns on my front teeth and have had several surgeries with no problems at all, I don't think you need to be concerned, porcelain crowns are pretty tough! Best of Luck!
Unread 02-20-2008, 03:15 PM

Yeah porceline crowns are very strong, so I would think they are worried about removable teeth/plates/etc that could be dislodged and choked on.

They would have to be awfully rough with that tube (which is plastic I assume) for it to damage new, cemented porceline crowns, in fact it would probably be hard to do!
Unread 02-20-2008, 04:45 PM

Thanks EVERYONE, you made me feel much better about this!!!

(Irish Bridie....not sure how to tell you this....I am more or less a lifelong New Englander....and a fan of the Evil Empire....but I love you anyway!!!)
Unread 02-20-2008, 05:05 PM

Hi Cathy in BOSTON!!!!!!

This is Irish Bridie writing..........

WHAT??? A fan of the Evil Empire??? How could you????!!!!!........Fenway Park.......buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks.....at the old..... ball.....game!! Hee Hee!!

Love you anyway..............

Have a sunny day!

Best wishes, Irish Bridie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register