Doctor suggesting hysterectomy for migraines | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doctor suggesting hysterectomy for migraines Doctor suggesting hysterectomy for migraines

Unread 07-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Doctor suggesting hysterectomy for migraines

My doctor has suggested a hysterectomy for my migraines...my hormone headaches are sometimes lasting up to 10 days a month. It is really terrible and the thought of a hysterectomy sounds great compared to the migraines. My sister had it done a few years ago and loves the outcome. I would love any thoughts from others who have gone through the same process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2011, 10:59 AM
Re: Hysterectomy for severe migraines?

I had the pre-hormonal migraines as well before my TAH...but, after 9 months, I developed severe, daily, aura migraines because of my fluctuating hormone levels...I dont think most docs would agree on this for migraines. Most days I cant get out of bed anymore, and cant find any relief for my headaches.

Gursie
Unread 07-26-2011, 11:11 AM

So you had the hysterectomy with removal of both ovaries and it didn't help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2011, 11:20 AM

Have you tried Axert for your migraines? I had hormonal migraines and it worked wonders!
Unread 07-26-2011, 01:29 PM

Yes, ovaries removed.....migraines got much worse and still cant control them. Had to be hospitalized a few times as well. I thought I had some blood clots...for the past few years, I get the Aura ones that leave me almost paralyzed. I also had a friend, who had a TAH a few months before me, and she suffers more now than ever as well. Its very hard to balance hormones to begin with, and even HRT can cause them. I think its a bit radical for a hyster to try and prevent them.

Gursie
Unread 08-28-2011, 04:06 PM

omg guys I just had a partial hysterectomy on Aug 12 from the bleeding and the cramping and pretty much hoping headaches would get better. Fioricet does work now but I take it daily. At least Im not in the er where toradol only worked for my migraines that and reglan for nausea. Would you believe i gave myself a hiatal hernia on account of all the vomitting i did. I chose to keep my ovaries and my headaches are less severe but still coming daily. I do use maxalt that seems to help for severe migraine But a neurologist gave me nortriptiline to regulate them now. Its a antidepressant but it has helped . Perhaps progesterone cream would help I wish I new how to stop the headaches once and for all...hormonal imbalances really bites.
Unread 08-28-2011, 08:34 PM

I see a neurologist who specializes in migraines and he says he's never heard of a hysterectomy as a solution to hormonal migraines. I get them as well and average 10-12/month. I take 200mg of Lyrica daily as a preventative and before I make any decisions about a hysterectomy I will be consulting with him.

I have recently started acupuncture and honestly I feel like it's helping. I got through this last period with 2 headaches which is an improvement over previous months. I was skeptical about it but I'm very happy so far with the results.
Unread 08-28-2011, 09:39 PM

I heard of Botox for migraines. Good luck with whatever you decide
Unread 08-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Re: Doctor suggesting hysterectomy for migraines

(((scbmn)))

A hysterectomy will not resolve your issue. Instead, I am guessing your doctor really is wanting you to consider an oophorectomy--removal of the ovaries. Likely, s/he is assuming you would have both procedures done as for a variety of reasons many women do not choose to retain the uterus if the ovaries are removed.

My own neurologist does not recommend an oophorectomy to treat hormonal migraines as the success rate is too low. Instead, I used a prophylactic med (Keprra) to prevent many of them and then I used rescue meds (Maxalt) when I actually had a migraine. I also had prescription pain meds for the headaches that weren't quite a migraine yet.

Hopefully you have a great medical team and you have been able to get a second opinion about what might be best for you!

Unread 09-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Re: Doctor suggesting hysterectomy for migraines

I would suggest you see a nurologist instead before doing anything surgical.

I have had migraines since I was a teenager and under a nuro's care since I was in my 20's. When I was discussing my possible hysterectomy, he warned me that it could go either way with me for my headaches. They could get better or worse, but the best option for me is to keep one ovary to prevent HRT's since I am so sensitive to BCP pills. I could not even take the mini pill for regulating cycles.

I take Topamax which is a seizure medicine to control my migraines and when I get them I use Axert for when I get one.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register