unable to sleep well | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

unable to sleep well unable to sleep well

Unread 05-22-2007, 07:16 PM
unable to sleep well

Does anyone have this at all?
my surgery was on 5/16 and slowly the pain has got much better...EXCEPT at night.
I for the life of me cant get a good nights sleep.
like last night for example.
I was awaken probably every hour (although I did not look at the clock) from 11 pm to 6 am. in sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeer pain.
it seems everytime I lay flat this happens.
but sitting up in a chair and sleeping does not work so well either.
What has everyone else done so you can sleep better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Sleeping

HI, do you use pillows at night? It hurt me to lay flat so I used 2 pillows for my head propted (spelling) up on the head of the bed and then when I laid on my side I had to have a pillow to support my stomach, probably about 2 weeks after the surgery I was able to do this but the first 2 weeks slept on my back propted up some. I also bought a body pillow and that helped a lot, I still sleep with it at 6 weeks post-op because I am use to having it now-heehee.
Good luck to you!

Susan
TAH 4-11-07
Unread 05-22-2007, 09:05 PM
unable to sleep well

If I can't sleep I just give up the ghost and catch up on TIVO or come online. The gals from Australia and the UK (actually the entire Eastern hemisphere) are really nice and they're all online overnight. You can also go on the games threads and keep yourself busy.

FYI I've had crappy sleep for almost a week (including pre-op) and last night stayed in bed for a full 12 hours! I didn't sleep the whole time, but found I was tired and dozed off and on. It did help. I also kicked the narcotic pain meds today (Day 4 for me) and think that's also helped. I found the Darvocet was making me wired instead of tired!

Try some herbal teas just before bed. I like chamomile or Sleepy Time to help me relax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2007, 09:06 PM
unable to sleep well

Hi, My LATVH was on may 15th. I sleep with... let me see 1,2,3........6 queen pillows on my bed, a body pillow and my tummy pillow. Everything conforms to my body, and I feel like I am sleeping in the clouds. Now...if I can just a get a little help around the house from my kids, I would be in Heaven. I have prepared every meal for myself since I came home from the castle, loaded the dishwasher twice, and straighten up the common areas everyday. They have taken me to the store when I needed it, but as of today I am driving myself. I don't know what I would do if I was in more pain than a 2-3. Anyone else having a challenge with family stepping up to the plate to help?
Unread 05-22-2007, 09:20 PM
unable to sleep well

well I jusat remembered I have some Tyelenol PM in my medicine cabinet so instead of my usual rx I am taking that so HOPEFULY I can get some decent sleep. it feels like I have not slept since the 16th....5 days...ya I am dragging.
Unread 05-22-2007, 09:54 PM
unable to sleep well

jclif048, My useless husband did pretty much nothing for me post op (ok, he washed the dishes twice, helped me with my first shower) but I was cooking, doing dishes, laundry, you name it, the day after I came home. My mom offered to help but I just couldn't ask a 77-year old woman to do what my husband should have so I know that road all too well. And I was in alot of pain up until prolly yesterday afternoon. Didn't drive until today and just gave up thinking he was going to do anything. Other than just saying "HEY, I need this done bozos" I can't think of anything else to do.
needles dear, my pain was also worse at night, prolly from being up and about and wearing myself out. mornings were just horrid. I got to the point I kept my pain meds and a bottle of water on the cup holder in the sofa and took them before attempting to move (except for those ever present potty runs). Pillows will help, it just takes alot of experimentation to get them situated just right. Also remember no caffeine after 6. Melatonin worked for me for at least 2-3 hours of constant sleep.
Unread 05-22-2007, 10:06 PM
unable to sleep well

I slept on the couch the first 2 weeks with a pillow for support. Also would use an ice pack to ease the pain. Sometimes when I'm on my side I put a pillow between my knees. A trick my Grandpa used to take pressure off him back. I sleep better, so whatever works.
Unread 05-23-2007, 06:08 AM
unable to sleep well

I found propping up my head like Taterkitty suggested and putting pillows under my knees and feet helped the most.
Unread 05-23-2007, 06:25 AM
unable to sleep well

mrs0323, I think thats alot of it to, oh Monday I was kinda forced to return to normal a bit more.
dh Had to go back to work (third shift) so he had to sleep in the day and my parents had to go back to work to.
with 3 young kids wdyd? There is not much of a choice.
I am a Stay at home mom so there is alot I feel guilty that I am not doing. I **** near cry everytime I look at a washbasket. I so want to do it but know I should not
Unread 05-23-2007, 06:30 AM
It will wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by needlesandpinza
mrs0323, I think thats alot of it to, oh Monday I was kinda forced to return to normal a bit more.
dh Had to go back to work (third shift) so he had to sleep in the day and my parents had to go back to work to.
with 3 young kids wdyd? There is not much of a choice.
I am a Stay at home mom so there is alot I feel guilty that I am not doing. I **** near cry everytime I look at a washbasket. I so want to do it but know I should not
All of the work WILL wait needles! Don't overdo it. You need to heel correctly, and you can't speed it up, but you can mess it up!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register