Post-op Motorcycle riding question... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-op Motorcycle riding question... Post-op Motorcycle riding question...

Unread 03-16-2005, 11:57 AM
Post-op Motorcycle riding question...

Scheduled for a TAH on April 12th. BF and I are planning a motorcycle tour early June, if possible. Does anyone know how long it takes healing wise to be able to ride after a TAH? TIA!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2005, 12:01 PM

Hello fellow biker chick!

I am only speaking from my own experience....

Are you riding your own bike, or riding on the back of bf's bike?

My hyst was in June, and I didn't ride myself for the whole summer. I just wasn't up to it, and didn't feel strong enough. After about 6-8 weeks, I was able to sit on the back for about an hour's ride. After that, I needed a nap!

But I've also known ladies on this board who were hopping back on their bikes within 4 weeks! I hope you are one of the strong ones!

Keep your hair flying in the wind - and keep the bugs out of your teeth!

s
Tam
Unread 03-16-2005, 12:30 PM

I am the passenger, although BF would love it if I got my license!

Planning on riding to Chicago, Atlanta, California and Denver from Texas. Not all in the same trip...don't think my butt could handle that! (LOL) Broken up into individual trips over the course of the summer as the kids will be on vacation with their father for 7 weeks so we are having our vacation(s) then.

I know that my BF was cleared after 4 weeks to ride the bike. (survived prostate cancer surgery in Dec.)

FYI....just sold the '02 Harley Road King and got an '05 Honda Gold Wing..more comfortable for me as a passenger.

Thanks for the reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2005, 01:00 PM

My hubby is a Harley dyna wide glide man. Surgery is the end of May so I figure I won't get to ride for most of the summer. I will miss that but actually postponed the surgery until the end of Spring so I wouldn't miss out on all the fun entirely. I don't think pushing it to get back on the hog is a good idea so I'll just look forward to riding again this fall. (On the back - not my own)
Unread 03-16-2005, 01:32 PM

I'm figuring 4 weeks minimum before I can climb on the back of the bike again, but I will double check with the doc. I "hope" to be ready for at least a few days ride by 6-7 weeks post-op.
Unread 03-16-2005, 01:38 PM

My first real ride (as a passenger) was 2 months post op. A total 4.5 hours in one day. I was sore for almost a week. Since then we have taken shorter rides and I have been fine. Our Goldwing is so comfortable that I never realized that there is still some vibration. If the weather cooperates we'll be taking a two hour ride this weekend. I would try taking a few shorter rides first and build up to a long ride. Keep in mind that everyone heals differently.
Unread 03-16-2005, 02:29 PM

Wondering this same question...! My BF is an avid Harley Rider...I LOVE to go riding and wanted to get my license this Spring;unforunately, the hyst surgery on April 26 is taking precedence. I purposely planned it around that time so I COULD go riding in the summer!

After surgery, would being a passenger on a motorcycle hurt your stomach or something else?

"Ride to live...Live to ride."! Ha!
Unread 03-16-2005, 05:35 PM

Iasked my doctor about me being able to ride my own bike this summer and he asked a couple of questions:

How heavy is your bike? 432lb. dry

What type of bike? sport bike (suzuki SVs 650)

When is my surgery? April 12th

His response was probably not this summer.

He said the strength to hold up the bike and balance would not be there and the vibration would aggrevate my "area".

My husband and I ride almost every day during the spring, summer and into the fall.

I use my bike to get to work when the weather is nice because I get a ride in and the gas usage is so much less.

I am bummed that I can't ride my bike this summer and it has been a couple years since I have been on the back of my husband but I will be healthy and won't have to miss riding once this whole situation is taking care of.

Just my 2 cents

Kat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register