Scheduled TVH Upcoming hysterectomy Jan 2017: What will it be like and what do I need | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy Jan 2017: What will it be like and what do I need Upcoming hysterectomy Jan 2017: What will it be like and what do I need

Unread 12-01-2016, 04:57 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy Jan 2017: What will it be like and what do I need

I'm having a total vaginal hysterectomy on jan 9. Please someone tell me some me what to expect. Like since the stitches are internal will I be in pain? Do I need ice packs for my belly or special underwear to hold ice packs like I had after giving birth? Will it feel like after giving birth vaginally? I had my 2nd all natural no meds and I tore I didn't make it to the hospital in time for meds.so I felt it all. Will this be like that? Will i need pads and be bleeding after? Why can't I drive for 2 weeks? Where is all the pain? I looked at the store in this site but did it know if I needed all that since my belly isn't getting cut. I'm so lost right now my head is spinning but I am excited to finally end all this pain and other issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2016, 05:28 PM
Re: What will it be like and what do I need

When I woke up my pain was at a 4 of 10. I told the nurse but she said I had to wake up more from surgery till I can get more pain relief. By the time I got relief pain was about an 8.
Seems that the worse pain was about 4 hours. Pain is under belly button. Like a bad cramp.
I did not think it felt like giving birth at all. Peeing the first time stung just a bit, but not bad.
A lot in TVH they pack your vagina with gauze. I did not have this packing my doctor used a drainage tube.
You will be catheterized if needed during surgery and maybe even after.
You should be able to walk fine and once you get pain under control... the rest is not bad!
They gave me some mesh panties and pads at hospital. Honestly, you should not hardly bled. You will have a watery discharge with some pink or brown. This discharge will last 6 weeks.
I'm a fan of the heating pad! I don't do ice.
Stay in top of your meds, walk often, drink water and rest!
Make sure your urinating good, complete and regular cause I had an issue with that. And addition hospital stay.
I think you will find this much more manageable then having a baby and repairing an episiotomy.
Unread 12-01-2016, 05:57 PM

Thank you so much for replying quickly. Ok I'll get a good heating pad then. And make sure I take my pain meds. Just knowing what is going to happen helps me a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2016, 07:55 PM

Hi tbogart-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbogart View Post
I'm having a total vaginal hysterectomy on jan 9. Please someone tell me some me what to expect. Like since the stitches are internal will I be in pain?
You will have lots of internal stitches, and they do much work in there. They are removing an internal organ so they have much to do. Pain, however, is different for everyone. Some women experience little to no pain, while others experience quite a bit. It just depends. I had at TAH BSO. I had moderately high pain, and I have a high pain tolerance. The pain was controllable with narcotics and Motrin alternating.

Quote:
Will i need pads and be bleeding after?
This is also different for everyone. My doctor told me to expect, and I did have, 6 weeks of discharge (ugh!). The first few days it was bloody - like heavy spotting. After that it was clear and waxy. I was given full pads in the hospital. When I got home, I used those ultra-thin maxi pads. I changed twice a day.

Quote:
Why can't I drive for 2 weeks?
This is MAJOR SURGERY. You will be sore and you will be very tired. You may also be on narcotics. You cannot safely operate a vehicle in this condition. It took me 3 weeks before I could drive.

Quote:
I looked at the store in this site but did it know if I needed all that since my belly isn't getting cut.
What is in the store is for everyone and all surgeries. But, it is really a personal choice on what to buy. I had open abdominal surgery and did not feel I needed any of it.

Quote:
I'm so lost right now my head is spinning but I am excited to finally end all this pain and other issues.
Your feelings are normal. This is one difficult surgery to digest and process.

Just remember you are not alone in this. We are here for you.

Unread 12-02-2016, 09:04 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy Jan 2017: What will it be like and what do I need

Oh and one more thing. The first BM can be scary, try to eat soft fiber type foods!
The pain is like a cramp or a pressure!
I am six weeks since TVH and if o had not had the issue with my bladder I would say this surgery is fairly manageable.
And I have had 2 children and several other surgeries!
Good Luck
Unread 12-02-2016, 12:37 PM

This is something I've been wondering myself. I have had a C-section but never given birth vaginally. My Dr assured me the recovery for this would be easier than the C-section. I'm a little panicked about what all will be going on down there.

Thank you everyone for your replies
Unread 12-02-2016, 02:07 PM

Thank you very much for all the replies. I'm taking notes!
Unread 12-02-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I'm having a total vaginal hysterectomy on jan 9. Please someone tell me some me what to expect. Like since the stitches are internal will I be in pain? Do I need ice packs for my belly or special underwear to hold ice packs like I had after giving birth? Will it feel like after giving birth vaginally? I had my 2nd all natural no meds and I tore I didn't make it to the hospital in time for meds.so I felt it all. Will this be like that? Will i need pads and be bleeding after? Why can't I drive for 2 weeks? Where is all the pain? I looked at the store in this site but did it know if I needed all that since my belly isn't getting cut. I'm so lost right now my head is spinning but I am excited to finally end all this pain and other issues.
Hi, I had a supracervical hysterectomy 4 weeks ago. Although can't speak to the vaginal procedure part, I can say you will be sore inside where they cut the ligaments and other structures to remove everything.
Ice packs felt great on my abdomen. I got nightgowns with front pockets (the big pockets like sweatshirts have) and I put the ice packs in there so I didn't have to hold them constantly.
You will need loose comfortable clothes.
I got some of those bras from the Hyster sisters store. They are very comfortable but only give minimal support so for me not appropriate for out in public, but fine for around the house.
As far as driving, I don't think you will want to. I felt so sore that I wasn't able to turn fast enough or hit the brakes quickly if I would have needed to. I did wait a little over 2 Weeks to drive and even that was nerve wracking.
Walking was slow due to soreness for a couple of weeks.
Having a bm was painful. I ended up with diarrhea for a few days immediately post op, not sure why, then nothing for a bit. So I made the mistake of eating 8 prunes within a few minutes one day. Yes it did work, a little too well to the point of discomfort......
You will need to devise a way to help pull yourself up from lying down to sitting and standing, as every little movement causes abdominal soreness. For me that improved into the 3rd week.
A tip that someone gave me and that I read about is to squeeze fresh lemons into water and drink it after surgery to help flush out the anesthesia. And it gives you vitamin c for healing too.
I also got a heating pad and used that on my back sometimes while the ice was on the front. And also used it on the abdomen sometimes. Both ice and heat felt good.
Oversized cups with lids and straws or travel mugs are great for keeping hydrated, especially if you end up home alone, you don't have to get up as often to get a drink.
Find the place where you want to be to recover and set it up now.
I stayed on the couch for 3 weeks. I set it up like a bed with foam padding, mattress pad, and sheets. It worked out great for me.
A bedside table for your drinks and other things that you want next to you is helpful too.
We got remote light switches for the room so I could just hit the switch while lying down to turn lights off and on. That was great when I was tired and sore.
And of course things to occupy your time like Netflix, books, puzzles etc. I had a large square basket that I put everything in within easy reach.
Oh yeah, and can't forget snacks! Someone posted a note about not feeling hungry for big meals for a while and to have broth and other easy snacks on hand, or something lite that you like to eat.
Best wishes to you!
Unread 12-03-2016, 12:39 AM

Just had my tvh on November 28. Honestly I expected a lot more pain! Everyone is different! I feel lucky to be feeling so well for sure. More aches and pulling for now, every day is a new adventure. Only taking ibuprofen before bed to make sure I sleep well. Haven't used ice on anything but my heating pad is my best friend for backache! Only spotting since I woke up in recovery so just wearing pantiliners. No swelling anywhere really. Two vaginal births and finding this a lot easier! Hoping my recovery continues to be comfortable, just taking one day at a time and resting whenever my body needs it. Everybody's recovery is different from all I am reading, and things can change from one day to the next! I definitely have less pain now than before so can't wait to finish healing and back to a normal life again!!! Best wishes for your surgery and speedy recovery
Unread 12-03-2016, 04:09 AM

Thank you all for replying. Harlechpt I hope mine goes as well as yours! I am looking fw to afterwards when I'm healed and I no longer have cramps, dizziness, exhaustion all the time like I do now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register