~ ~ Relax ~ ~ | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

~ ~ Relax ~ ~ ~ ~ Relax ~ ~

Unread 07-01-2003, 07:02 PM
~ ~ Relax ~ ~

{{{{{Ladies}}}}}

This is a very stressful time in our lives. I'd like to share the secret of gaining control and relaxing.

First: Sleeping At Night. So many of us have this problem. Here's a secret that works for me.

Lay on your back on the bed. Make sure your arms are by your side and you are completely still. Close your eyes and breathe in slowly through your nose, hold it a couple of seconds, then release it through your mouth. Feel how heavy your head is on the pillow. Feel how you form into the mattress. Let your arms and legs go completely limp. Let your body sink into your mattress. Continue to breathe deeply, taking your time. Smile. Think of the one place and time that you were at your very happiest and most relaxed.

Visualize it in your mind's eye. Smell the air, feel the things around you, feel the breeze if there is one, taste the freshness and the peace of the moment. Listen to the sounds around you. Live in that moment. Continue your deep breathing and experience that moment as if you were there. Let it take you to sleep, peace and relaxation.

Second: Panic Attacks. As the surgery draws near, or perhaps as you're waiting for your date, there are moments of overwhelming stress. You can get control, no matter where you are, no matter what you're doing.

Sit calmly and quietly away from rush and noise. Concentrate on your breathing. Do the deep breathing exercise you just learned. Close your eyes and continue to breathe deeply and slowly. In through your nose, hold, our through your mouth. Visualize peace and tranquility throughout your body. Let your mind chatter (whether negative or positive) pass over you and float away. SEE it going from you. Don't discourage the million and one thoughts racing through your mind... just watch them float away from you as soon as they are thought. Focus on a good and positive thing. If you are stressing over your surgery, then visuialize yourself waking up in the recovery room and it being all overwith. SEE yourself smile as you wake up and KNOW that it is now all behind you. If you're just plain stressed out, visualize something that made you genuinely smile. Something or someone or some time that made you feel so GOOD. Embrace that. Let the negative thoughts and mind chatter float out the window as you focus on pure happiness.

This really works for me. As a victim of anxiety and panic attacks, I have practiced this method of relaxation for years. It is really worth a try.

LOVE YOU ALL, SISTERS. Truly hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2003, 07:13 PM
~ ~ Relax ~ ~

(((((((((( Northern Wolf ))))))))))))

Thank you for that. I am a sleepless person right now, it's 2.07 am in the UK and I should be in bed fast asleep....especially as I have to work at 9.00 am....oops!

This sounds lovely tho....

thanks again!

Kathy
TAH/BSO due 8th July 2003
Unread 07-01-2003, 07:20 PM
~ ~ Relax ~ ~

What great suggestions for the LIW. I wish a magic wand could be waved to rid the LIW of any pre-surgery anxiety. But since there isn't, your suggestions are the next best thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2003, 09:17 PM
Thanks for saying that......

You are so right, and you've helped more than you know!
petaholic1 scheduled 7-3-03 TAH/RSO
Unread 07-02-2003, 11:43 AM
~ ~ Relax ~ ~

You are SO WELCOME!

This is not something to be rushed. Try to keep away from distractions while you practice this method. You can take as much time or as little time as you want.

Practice it over and over and soon you will be able to immediately calm yourself, no matter where you are!

Unread 07-02-2003, 11:51 AM
~ ~ Relax ~ ~

great suggestions!
I've done some of these things, (to help me get to sleep) - but I haven't done the "watch the thoughts fly away" strategy.

I am sure this is going to do me good. Thank you for taking the time to write things down so clearly.

Cheryl
Unread 07-02-2003, 12:02 PM
~ ~ Relax ~ ~

yes thank you-just went to DR office for q-tip test, and to get all my questions answered, and he is delivering a baby. The office staff said he offered to do it all on Monday 7/7 with pre-op, and I put my foot down and said NO, I want all my questions answered before the holiday weekend, and SLEEPING PILLS!!! LOL
So, I will breathe deep, and wait for the DR office to call and see if they can get me in this afternoon, and I will try to concentrate at work, and if not, I will take my mind to calm waters and be kayaking on a clear lake.

LIW-castle date is 7/8-yikes!
Unread 07-02-2003, 06:37 PM
~ ~ Relax ~ ~

CAS ~ Cheryl,

It gets even better! One night I lay there, totally relaxed, and "released" every single person from my life. I imagined letting them go and they floated away from me. I watched them in my mind's eye as they vanished.

Then I brought back ONLY the people I wanted in my life. Of course, this doesn't work in Reality (wish wish) but as I brought my dh and kids and parents back to me, I spent a moment feeling each of their love and kindness and the love I have for them.

When I opened my eyes again, 3 hours had passed! I mean, I could not believe it! It was very empowering to let everyone go and bring back ONLY the ones I truly loved and needed in my life. It's very relaxing and centering. If you let your thoughts go away from you, try to let people go next. See how it feels.

Unread 07-02-2003, 10:05 PM
THANK YOU!!

I'm printing a copy of this to keep at my bedside and I will practice tonight...especially the letting go part...I have several insignificant people in my life I'd like to let go just now =)
Unread 07-02-2003, 11:01 PM
~ ~ Relax ~ ~

Great tips wolfie!!!!!!!!!! You are such a wealth of information hon!

Love & S

Sharon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register