Newbie with Pre-op questions.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newbie with Pre-op questions.... Newbie with Pre-op questions....

Unread 10-27-2006, 02:20 AM
Newbie with Pre-op questions....

Hi everyone. It's great to find this site with so much input to answer those nagging questions.

I just have a few--

How long really before resume sex? What can you expect as they check you in, get you into or? What about recovery - what feel/remember? Bleeding for how long vaginally? What side effects of anesth.and morphine or other meds offered? How long before they make you get up and walk? Go to bathroom? Just how long is surgery? Anything to expect if they put you on breathing tube? Do they or is it jus O2?

I am a little freaked out about my upcoming hyster. and am the type who needs to know step by step to be comfortable with it.

Thanks in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2006, 04:21 AM

txtinkerbell ~ My answers are based on MY experience only...

How long really before resume sex? I was told between 6-8 weeks.

What can you expect as they check you in, get you into or? When I got to the hospital I was given the ever so stylish hospital gown, booties and hair net. They started an IV and gave me a sedatiave to reduce any anxieties and it also dried out my throat (intentionally) as it is easier to intubate someone with a dry throat. I was also started on an antiobiotic. My anesthesiologist and surgeon came to see me in case I had any last questions.

What about recovery - what feel/remember? I remember the nurse asking me to cough, which made my stomach hurt. And I also remember getting ice chips.

Bleeding for how long vaginally? Immediately post-op I had maybe a teaspoon of blood that day and that was it.

What side effects of anesth.and morphine or other meds offered? I had no side effects from the anesthesia but it can make some people nausiated. The only side-effect I had from the morphine is that it made me very groggy (not a bad thing at this point in your recovery) and it decreased my respirations so I was given oxygen.

How long before they make you get up and walk? I walked the halls that night. The quicker you do this the better in terms of preventing blood clots and constipation.

Go to bathroom? My catheter came out the next morning so I started using the bathroom then.

Just how long is surgery? I had a TAH and it was 1.5 hours. I was in recovery for another 1.5 hours.

Anything to expect if they put you on breathing tube? You will probably be intubated so that means you will most likely wake up with a dry mouth and maybe a sore throat.

Do they or is it jus O2? They use oxygen to wake you up after the procedure and you might need it with a narcotic as they commonly reduce your respirations.

These are all great questions and I'm sure as the time draws closer you will have more. Make a list and ask your Dr these questions too. I'm sure every surgeon and hospital differ with their procedures.
Unread 10-27-2006, 04:34 AM

I was told no sex for six weeks. I have not had surgery yet but from what I remember from my last procedure, I will get in my gown and they will have me waiting in a room with all the other pre op people. The drug doctor is my favorite. He came to visit me right away and I told him my wishes to not know where I was going.
When they came in to take me, Dr Feel Good was right there and I don't remember being wheeled down the hall or anything.

I am a smoker so they did intubate me while I was under. I don't remember ever having a tube down my throat, but was told I did. I didn't remember anything except arriving with my mom and getting changed.

I had constipation with the pain meds but they gave me stool softeners to help with that. My DR told me that I would be getting up to go to the bathroom as soon as I was comfortable but he did not tell me that they were going to make me get up at any certain lenght of time.

He did say the sooner I was up and about, the faster I could return to my own bed. He remembers how much I hate hospital beds. My feet hang off the end because I'm 5'11 and the beds were not made with me in mind.

I go from being scared, to being relieved, back to being scared all in the same minute.

I'm sure the princesses here will be able to tell you more about what to expect.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2006, 04:58 AM

FireGoddess72 ~ What is the difference between being intubated and "having a tube down my throat"?
Unread 10-27-2006, 11:49 AM

my doc informed me 6 weeks before resuming any kind of sexual activity....2 weeks to drive....i had sum discharge a few daze after
surgery but none since then....thye got me out of bed the next day to
walk a little and use the bathroom....i was told my surgery lasted 2 1/2 hours....don't remember n y thing after being roled into surgery...
the last thing i do remember was my awesum surgeon holding my hand
until i dozed off....i was on oxygen for 2 daze after surgery....
i am 1 week yesterday post op and am feeling pretty good....off the
pain pills as of yesterday just on ibuprofen every 4 hours....went on first outing yesterday morning with my sis-in-law....it felt good to be out & about, ez does it....i was very tired on my return home....
n y who, my 2 week post op appt. is next friday....
U take care....
Unread 10-27-2006, 06:53 PM

Hi Ladies
My surgery was Oct 4 last year. I had a minor complication and ....
let's see...surgery was scheduled for 10:00. I was supposed to be there at 7. Was shown to a bed, asked to put on the lovely gown. All of a sudden I had several nurses around me, putting on stockings, hooking up the IV, asking me to pee in a cup etc.
Then I was told my surgery was moved up to 8 because the lady before me had to cancel (don't know why)
Taken down to OR. talked to several nurses and DR about what was happening.
My GYN came in, chatted with me for a few minutes and got me some warm blankets. Then said your IV is going to get slightly warm and maybe a little tingling at the needle site.
Came to in recovery 4 hours later, feeling really hot and itchy. Taken to my room, mom and DH were there. DH stayed for a while. I was in and out of consciousness and really have no recollection of the afternoon or evening. I do remember the nurse coming in and rolling me to my other side and telling me to cough.
Morning after - the nurse removed the catheter. I got up and peed, ate a full breakfast. Started walking the halls. Had the morphine pump removed (hadn't used it).
GYN came in.
Stayed in hospital til Fri morning.

Bleeding-I wouldn't really call it that either- was the first day. Then a little smearish type of discharge for about 8 days.

Breathing tube was in and out while I was under. Slight sore throat, really thirsty and slightly raspy voice for a couple days.

Meds: I have a high sensitivity to narcotics. I cannot have morphine in my pump nor can I take percocet (received both, which explained the itchiness I was experiencing). I was given the same dosage of anesthetic as someone else my weight and that was too much but the surgeon and anesthesiologist both decided better safe than me start waking up mid-surgery (which is what led to the no recollection of the remainder of the day)
I took regular strength tylenol for the rest of my hospital stay AS NEEDED. The nurses didn't make me take any further pain meds. I was on extra strength tylenol at home, as needed, about 5 pills per day for a week.

Resumed intimacy beginning of Dec (8 weeks)

I will suggest you write down ALL your concerns about your upcoming surgery and have your doctor address each and every one of them to YOUR satisfaction.
There is no reason at all for you to feel apprehensive about the procedure. (I didn't say the surgery)

Wishing you well. If you want more info, feel free to PM me.

Autumn
Unread 10-27-2006, 07:18 PM

<<How long really before resume sex? >>

They recommend 6 weeks..your Dr. will let you know.

<<What can you expect as they check you in, get you into or? >>

I checked in to the short stay unit. I went up to a desk, gave them my name, then sat in the waiting area for about 20 minutes. An older lady came out to get me and took me to my pre-op room. She gave me the "beautiful" gown to put on and told me about the room (aka, where the bathroom was...duh, I could see it right next to me....and the TV controls.)

About 30 minutes later a lab tech came in to draw blood followed by the first nurse who took my vitals and weight. Thent he second nurse arrived to put in the IV. This was followed by my Dr. and then the anethesiologist (whos name, no joke is Miles Standish!!!)

I was in the room at 7:15 AM and Dr. Standish wheeled me out of it at a bit before 9AM. I remember chatting with him as we went down the hall and he hit the elevator button. From that point, I remember zero.

What<< about recovery - what feel/remember? >>

This was very easy, for me. I recall waking up fairly quickly, although I do not know for sure I woke up with a nurse (a cute guy, if I do say so) offering me ice chips, which I happily accepted. He offered them about 4-5 times before he came over and told me that he would be removing my catheter. He told me that I might feel a bit of tugging, but I didn't feel a thing. Then I was off to my room in another area, not the pre-op room.

<<Bleeding for how long vaginally? >>

I had LSH, so everything was done through my navel. So, my bleeding was minimal. A little when I went to the bathroom the first 4-5 times. Then nadda.

<<What side effects of anesth.and morphine or other meds offered? >>

No side effects for me. I did tell the anesthisiologist that I had thrown up once after a previous surgery years ago. He may have taken that into account, or this may have been easier (my last sugery was an emergency gallbladder removal, so I was obvliously in trauma where I was not with this surgery). I did not have morphine and only took a half dose per time of Oxicondone.

<<How long before they make you get up and walk? Go to bathroom? >>
I was up walking around 4PM (I was in my post op room around 11:30 or noon). I probably could have been up walking earlier, but they were busy and I was being lazy My afternoon nurse came in around 4 and asked if I thought I could go to the bathroom. I told her that I would try. So up I got...she did not help me, but was there if I needed her. I did fine and pee'd like a race horse. Then she asked if I wanted to take a walk. Sure, why not. So off we went, cruising the halls. It was then that I asked her if I was getting pain meds in the IV. NOPE! She told me that I had not had any pain meds and would need to ask if I wanted some. Pretty cool as I was not in pain, just discomfort, so we went for the half dose of meds. That worked well for me.

<<Just how long is surgery? >>

For me, about 2 hours, which was about 30 minutes longer than expected.

<<Anything to expect if they put you on breathing tube? Do they or is it jus O2?>>

I have heard that we are all intubated, but I do not recall any of that nor did my throat hurt. I am sure I was, as Dr. Standish checked out my teeth asking if any were chipped....in other words...if they were chipped later, he did it.

I am the type of person who is awake once I am awake. So, once I was in my post-op room, I was awake for the duration. I did not nap at all and finally turned off the TV in my room around 1AM. Of course, you still don't sleep as they keep taking vitals AND then there was the lovely lab tech who woke me up to drwa blood at 4AM!!! UGH! There is a name for people like her

Be sure to write down your questions and ask your Dr. I also highly recommend the book "So You're Having a Hysterectomy". I picked it up at my local library and that is how I found this site. I took the book to the hospital with me and refered to it for a few weeks post-op.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register