How do I tell my children? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do I tell my children? How do I tell my children?

Unread 07-12-2011, 07:50 AM
How do I tell my children?

We've waited until the last week to tell the children that Mommy is having surgery, because our boys are very sensitive. They are 6 and 10. We want to talk to them about it together as a family.
I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to approach the subject with them? Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Re: How do I tell my children?

I am wondering the same thing. We are waiting to tell our kids until the week before. Even though I will be in castle just overnight, I don't want them freaking out.
Unread 07-12-2011, 08:08 AM

Its always difficult telling our children...i have had a few issues where i have had to sit with mine when they were younger as well as now that they are older...mine to are emotional...i first plan it as a family day movie or game day bbq or order their favorite take out...try to make the most of the day...since your children a a bit younger and i dont know them...but with mine my husband and i would then have them sit in a place that they know is comforting and tell them we are proud of them they are growing up...and i to give them assurance i would mention ..you know how when i take you to the dr and he makes them better...i would say that mommy has something that the dr needs to fix and hes got special helpers at the hospital to do it...you might need to stay there so they can help you...i wouldnt get to involved with the iv thing...if they come visit they might not even pay attention to it...it can be explained if they ask...i dont know if any of this helps..i know its not easy...we've unfortunately had a lot of relatives pass since my children were young and it hasn't been easy...and i am the one who NEVER gets sick...oh and i never told my kids people were sick because if they passed theyd make a relationship with sick people and dying people... wishing you the best with the surgery as well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2011, 08:15 AM

My kids are 4 & 7.I had my TVH on July 7th.They knew that I was in pain for quite some time.I told them that mommy was going to stay at the hospital overnight so that the doctors could try and make me better & that I would need their help when I got home.So far they have been great with everything.I wish you ladies the best with your surgeries & recoveries
Unread 07-12-2011, 08:36 AM

With having 4 girls it wasn't hard to tell them at all. (ages 16,14,12,10) They witness everything that I go through every month and watch me deal with it. The only question I had was from my 10 year old was how they were taking it out. I explained they would cut small incisions in my tummy for the dr to work through and they would pull it out and then I pointed....she just looked at me and said nevermind. lol. They know I'll be staying the night and their cousin is coming to stay with them so they are excited.
Unread 07-12-2011, 10:46 AM

We have always been upfront and honest with our boys (who are 6 and 4) about what's happening with me. I've had other surgeries and we just sit them down and explain what's going to happen. When I had surgery for cervical cancer we explained to the boys that I had something growing in my tummy that didn't belong and that thing is called cancer. Explained that I'd be given special medicine to help me sleep while the doctor took the cancer out and that afterwards I'd be sore and they'd have to give me gentle hugs and snuggles. We've never made surgery into a scary thing. In a few weeks we'll be having the same conversation again to prep them for mine!

Good luck to you!
Unread 07-12-2011, 10:53 AM

my boys are 8 and 14. The 14 yr old has known for some time that we were dealing with precancerous cells and such, so because we had talked about it he was aware that surgery was a possibility. My 8 year old is more sensitive and I was worried about how he would react, however my husband and I sat down with both boys so we could tell the younger one. DH just said mom has to go into the hospital so the doctors can fix something. She will have to stay in the hospital a few days but we will go visit her. We explained that when i got home I would need a lot of help and that they would have some extra jobs to do around the house. Younger son was ok with that, but later came to me with questions so I answered them as he asked.
Unread 07-12-2011, 04:22 PM

Honesty is the best. Make it age appropriate. No need to worry them. I also have 2 boys. 9 & 12. They are sensative kids, especially to me. I have never complained to them about any of my issues and they have never seen me sick. I don't think they even know what a period is. I was worried how they would react. They did great. I told them that i needed to have a operation to improve my health. That I had a "part" that had been causing me trouble for a long time and made me feel yucky ALOT. I knew I would stay at least 1 night in the hospital & gave them the option of coming to see me there. They chose not to. They just wanted to be able to talk to me on the phone. My 18yo niece stayed with them & even went on a field trip with my youngest the day of my surgery. My husband stayed the night at home, as ususal, and came to pick me up while they were at school the next day. They were a little timid when they first saw me at home. Not sure how to act around me I guess. Once they saw I was okay and still looked normal, acted normal, etc. they were more thatn happy to wait on my and have continued to take great care of me since! In fact, my 9yo just went to the store with me and would not let me anywhere near the cart to push or lift a single bag. Makes me realize I really am raising great boys!

Kids are resilient. If you are "okay"...they will be "okay". Make sure they know YOU are OKAY.

Hugs & Luck! It has been the BEST thing I have ever done! No regrets!!!
Unread 07-12-2011, 07:17 PM

I was worried about how my kids (3 and 7) would react. My husband and I had to leave them with different family members and friends for five days to go out of state for my surgery.

My kids were FINE. To them it was an adventure. I tried to talk to my 7 yr old son and he was all "yeah I know mom." hehe

I think staying matter of fact and not going into details is best for mine. As pp said kids will look to us for cues.
Unread 07-13-2011, 07:24 AM

Well we did it last night and all your advise really helped us. Thanks so very much!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register