GERD and TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-23-2004, 11:33 AM
GERD and TAH

This will probably be longish since I want to give you a bit of history first before I get to my questions. I was diagnosed with severe GERD a year ago. At times it interferes with my work (I need to run and also alot of bending, lifting, and other physical work). It is so bad that when I run I aspirate stomach acid or food (if I've eaten recently). My Gastro Dr was also my primary care Dr and he never thought that the GERD could have anything to do with any of my gyn problems. In fact he seemed to just completely brush off the pain periods, bloating, nausea, IBS, and other symptoms that I was having and wanted me to have a Fundo wrap to stop the GERD and aspiration. That surgery really scared me because I have alot of nausea and vomiting when I have my period and after the surgery I wouldn't be able to vomit any longer. Dr didn't seem to care.

I had been to so many doctors at that point that I just stopped going. For the last year my gyn symptoms have gotten worse until I had to do something. I found a wonderful doctor that actually listened to me and after a number of tests I'm scheduled for a TAH/BSO on July 2. He found that I have lots adhesions and endometriosis all over my abdomin, an enlarged uterus, and fibroids. He thought that after the TAH I wouldn't have any of the problems that I am having now, especially the pain and nausea. He also thought that the IBS symptoms that I only have just before my period would stop (Yea!).

Now to my questions, I can't ask my Dr until the day before my surgery since he is away on vacation this week....

I'm sure I won't forget to tell the A man about the GERD, but is there anything I should know about having it and also general anesthesia? Higher risk?

Has anyone had GERD before surgery and notice it decrease or go away after surgery? I'm hoping that this will happen since I have a belly full of fibroids and enlarged uterus right now that makes it hard to bend over and still breath...so I figure it has to be pressing everything up and out!?

Any info would be appreciated - Thanks!

Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2004, 12:10 PM
GERD and TAH

I had to do a quick search for GURD, but if I read this correctly you are talking about Heartburn, Reflux, Acid problem?

If this is the case then yes I to am a sufferer. I was dx in 2001 with a Hyatus Hernia & take Losec for the condition (this type of Hernia causes Reflux in a big way).

You must make sure you tell the A-man & he will know what to do about it. Don't worry I have had 5 surgerys (I think it is) with this problem & not had any trouble
Unread 06-23-2004, 12:50 PM
GERD and TAH

GERD here too. My A team told me to remember to take my nexium that morning and that they would elevate my recovery bed (the head) Also will be pretreated for nausea.

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2004, 02:01 PM
GERD and TAH

reflux here too!

I was given two tablets of Ranitidine to take one the night before surgery and one the morning of surgery in order to prevent any reflux.

Princess Tam
Unread 06-24-2004, 08:25 AM
Thanks!

Thanks so much Ladies! I have a couple of pills to take the days before surgery (both for the reflux and antibiotics) and will definately make sure the A man knows. I like the idea of them raising the bed up a bit too. I have 4 big pillows that I sleep with now so I'm not laying flat.

Sue
Unread 06-24-2004, 09:59 AM
GERD and TAH

Hi Sue,

Remember to take your acid inhibitors with you to the hospital. Give them to the nurses and they can give you the pills at the proper time. I never missed a pill and had no problems at all with acid or regurgitation.

Good luck.
Roxanne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register