Anyone with symptoms like this from Fibroids? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone with symptoms like this from Fibroids? Anyone with symptoms like this from Fibroids?

Unread 05-20-2004, 09:55 PM
Anyone with symptoms like this from Fibroids?

Hello all, I'm new here. Have just been starting to discuss hysterectomy with my doctor because of Fibroids growing. They have been a watch and see protocol now for at least 10 years but are at about a 16 week pregnacy size now. I have been lucky to not have many symptoms associated with them, just possibly having to urinate a few times during the night when laying down. I've been able to live with that. Now they're growing it's time for other options. To get to my question:
I have been having some other symptoms for the past few months that my gyn says "could possibly be related to the fibroids" per the nurse relaying the doctor's comments when I called begging for an appointment.
I have been treated for a UTI by my GP that just won't go away for the past month. But the symptoms of the UTI have been only back pain caused by a large amount of gas. As soon as I relieve the gas (by pounding on my back) the pain is relieved. Also abdominal pain probably caused by the gas build up. That's basically it. It took a while to diagnose the UTI from those symptoms.
But it cleared up all that gas pain. Now my urine test is showing clear BUT the pains are back. I'm probably not making any sense, but just wondering if anyone else out there with Fibroids has/had this type of symtom? I know that I have 2 large fibroids at the lower end of my uterus and a pendulated one I believe outside the uterus hanging down towards the bladder.

Thanks for any help. The gyn is going to see me first thing in the morning before his other appointments so maybe I will know more then.

Thanks,
Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2004, 11:19 PM

Hi Linda,

I had frequent urination, bloating and tummy swelling from my fibroids, but not the problems you're describing. You may want to have your gallbladder checked, as your symptoms sound similar to gallbladder problems.

Anyway, best wishes on your surgery.

s,

Lisa
Unread 05-21-2004, 04:07 AM

Hi Linda,

I have fibroids and my symptoms are frequent urination, low back pain, bloating, lot of gas (but not painful), constipation, and abdominal discomfort. I think these are fairly common with fibroids from what I've been reading on this board. My gyn seemed to agree.

Good luck with your app't this morning!

Mimi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2004, 08:44 AM

Hi, Linda -

I have fibroids and large endometriomas. They are pressing on my bladder, "smushing" it. They are also compressing the ureters, which is causing the kidneys to back up. My symptoms were frequent urination (esp at night), back pain (upper kidney area, and side pain), as well as lower right quadrant pain (adbomen). I have some blood in my urine.

So, it might not be a bad idea to talk to your doc about getting a US and/or an IVP to see if something similar is happening. The IVP will show how the urine is flowing into the kidneys, through the ureters, and into the bladder.

Of course, if you get a quack of a urologist like I did, he'll tell you your kidneys are "fine" and there's nothing more they can do for you. GRRRR *punch* Any idiot could look at my IVP and see serious problems!!

If this happens, then something needs to be done ASAP, b/c the longer the kidneys remain backed-up, the greater chance of permanent damage. I'm a little freaked b/c it will be 8 weeks to the day from the time I went to my PCP with the back pain to the day of my surgery. Freaked b/c it is happening so quickly, and also freaked b/c it is not happening sooner.

In studies with dogs, if the obstruction was relieved within 2 weeks, there was no permanent damage - after 6 weeks, the damage is permanent - who knows how long I've been like this, and then another 8 weeks on top of it?? AAARGH!

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to freak you out - chances are good that this is not happening to you, but it wouldn't hurt to ask your doc.

Good Luck!
Esme
Unread 05-21-2004, 10:39 PM

Thank you both for your replies. The ob/gyn was just as baffled by my symptoms as everyone else has been. The pain got really bad overnight with back spasms and abdominal pain due to the gas running around inside me. This afternoon my GP's receptionist turned into an Angel and while my GP is out of town, without prompting she had the office's PA call me and offer help. I went in to pick up samples of yet another Proton 2 inhibitor and while I was there tested negative again for a UTI. So thennnnn the nurses chipped in and said she needs Pyridium to control bladder spasms (didn't know I was having them) and frequent uriniation. This gave the PA a good idea and he also gave me samples of Detrol LA. An hour after taking the acid inhibitor and the Detrol La I felt like a functioning human being again.

Fibroids involved in all this? The Gyn didn't think so from my smyptoms. But who knows now with them pressing on my bladder and I just can't tell thru all the spasm pain. Still scheduled to talke with him in a couple weeks about a hysterectomy.

Thanks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register