Pre-Op Hysterectomy Appointment Disaster | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Hysterectomy Appointment Disaster Pre-Op Hysterectomy Appointment Disaster

Unread 06-24-2014, 06:54 AM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy Appointment Disaster

SMH... I had my pre-op (with a resident who will be "assisting" in my hysterectomy)...

He enters the room & said "so you don't want anymore kids huh?"

I'm not done having kids, I CAN'T have more kids, I'm in excruciating pain, I've been bleeding for 37 DAYS... I'm giving into my adeno & giving it up!

Then he says "robot surgery is pretty neat, YouTube it" god are you 12?!?

I have complete faith in my Dr who's doing my surgery but so help me god if this BOY touches an instrument I'm dead. :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2014, 07:06 AM
Re: Pre-Op Disaster

Wow...just wow. That's pretty unbelievable. I'm really sorry you had to go through that! He could REALLY use some bedside manner lessons ASAP. Can you imagine him 10 years from now if someone doesn't pull his silly butt aside and tell him this is NOT how to talk to a woman who's about to undergo major surgery, surgery she might not want??

I'm not happy with my assisting doc, either, because it's the doctor I used to have. She's my current doc's partner, however, and my doc did let me know they assist each other in complex cases. Ugh. I'm hoping the partner gets called out on a delivery that morning (she's OB, too).
Unread 06-24-2014, 07:10 AM

Make sure you mention it to the main doctor. That's unnecessarily upsetting, and it will never be corrected if the boss doesn't know about it. So sorry you had to experience that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2014, 07:20 AM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy Appointment Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDee View Post
Wow...just wow. That's pretty unbelievable. I'm really sorry you had to go through that! He could REALLY use some bedside manner lessons ASAP. Can you imagine him 10 years from now if someone doesn't pull his silly butt aside and tell him this is NOT how to talk to a woman who's about to undergo major surgery, surgery she might not want??

I'm not happy with my assisting doc, either, because it's the doctor I used to have. She's my current doc's partner, however, and my doc did let me know they assist each other in complex cases. Ugh. I'm hoping the partner gets called out on a delivery that morning (she's OB, too).
Right?!? Not to mention we lost a baby... Not really a joking matter for me. I wonder if this idiot is an OB resident too, my Dr is great & she's the head OB/GYN maybe this jerk will get called out.... I can't imagine letting him deliver my baby if I actually delivered vaginally (I had c sections because of all my adeno complications & crap)
He just kept making jokes like I was excited to be there. I doubt many going in for this are excited to be there.
Maybe he should YouTube proper bedside manor...
Unread 06-24-2014, 08:37 AM

I believe you have the right to request that he not be involved in your surgery. I would be straight with your doctor. This resident needs to learn about bedside manner & if no one let's him know he sucks @ it, it will never change.

This is a very emotional time for you, the last thing you need stressing you out is this guy. They should be comforting you & easing your mind.
Unread 06-24-2014, 09:18 AM

In addition to your actual GYN, there should be a Dr in charge of the residency program. You should be able to give feedback to that person. You can request a different resident as well, there may be a different GYN resident. I'm sorry you got an insensitive resident. I hope when he is reported that this is a "teachable moment" for him.
Unread 06-26-2014, 01:24 PM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy Appointment Disaster

Update

I was able to talk with my Dr today about my surgery Tuesday & she was so kind & understanding & sorry that resident treated my situation as he did. She assured me he will b no where near me & that I'm in amazing & caring hands,... Feeling good & with as much pain as I'm in can't wait until my surgery!
Unread 06-26-2014, 01:37 PM

Congratulations! ! So glad he was understanding! Hopefully the resident will learn a life lesson from this. Best wishes! !
Unread 06-26-2014, 02:13 PM

It's a mistake that kid won't make twice. *hug*
Unread 06-26-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliStacey View Post
Update

I was able to talk with my Dr today about my surgery Tuesday & she was so kind & understanding & sorry that resident treated my situation as he did. She assured me he will b no where near me & that I'm in amazing & caring hands,... Feeling good & with as much pain as I'm in can't wait until my surgery!
Yay!!! Your doctor sounds great.

You did that resident a favor because he certainly needed this lesson. Lets hope he never talks like that to another woman.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register