When to quit smoking before sx | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When to quit smoking before sx When to quit smoking before sx

Unread 01-04-2012, 12:49 PM
When to quit smoking before sx

My surgery is Monday, Jan. 9. I have reduced my smoking a great deal in the past two weeks. I only had one last week but this week its been extremely hard because I am so stressed. Did anyone smoke up to the day of surgery? What is safe? I know the longer you go without a cigarette the safer you are but omg I'm so stressed and not just because of the surgery I've got some personal things going on... so anyone who is a prayer warrior please please pray for me and my family. Thank you for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Re: When to quit smoking before sx

I'm with you, and I'll send some prayers your way!
I too am a smoker and I'm trying so hard to quit before I have to go in. Not only for my health but also so I don't have a nici-fit while in the hospital. That happened last time and I promised I would never put myself, (or the hospital staff, lol), through that again. I'm trying the 'wait for an hour' approach. Give yourself an hour, if you make it congrat yourself and then ask "Can I wait another hour?" Sometimes this needs to be done on a minute by minute basis, but you get the idea. Also, keep yourself busy and release some of that built up energy. I'm cleaning the house like a mad woman and making sure that all loose ends are tied up. I don't have a surgery date yet, I talk to my Dr tomorrow, but I'm acting like its happening this weekend. Anything to keep me busy.

Take care and let me know if you need anything. Us evil smokers have it hard because we have a literal drug habit to kick before we even go through with the surgery. I'll be your quitting buddy if you'd like. God knows I need the support too, lol.

(((HUGS)))
Kim
Unread 01-04-2012, 02:49 PM

When i quit a few years back, lollipops really helped. I know it sounds silly. I would just suck on it a second and then lay it down on the wrapper. It kinda felt like a cig in the ashtray. I didny even realize i was exhaling like yoi do with a cig with the lollipop! Till a friend mentiones it. It really helped woth tricking my mind.

Will be praying for you!!!

Tina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2012, 03:05 PM

I smoked up to the day of surgery. I just reduced the amount I smoke. I asked the anesthesiologist why we weren't supposed to smoke, and he said it is because it raises the risk of getting pneumonia while in the hospital because the smoking changes the cellular structure in your throat and they no longer bring trapped bacteria from your lungs, upward, and out. He said I was fine because I am young (22 at the time). I am planning on quitting, though. I am starting chantix soon.
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:34 PM

Thank you all for the advise. I've also heard red hots are good to use to help you quit. My problem is I smoke most when stressed and I've had alot of that these past two weeks. It'll be easier after I have surgery (I hope). KimT1975 I'd love to be your smoking buddy...It is very helpful when you have someone to quit with you. (thanks)
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:59 PM

Did anyone have to give themselves an injection the day before surgery to prevent blood clots? I feel really ashamed of having to do that, simply because I choose to smoke. Not feeling like the brightest crayon in the box.
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:34 PM

Hi Ladies, My surgery is Jan 9 too and I too smoke. I have quit at the begining of the month and was doing so good for about two weeks. Now that it's the last week I have found myself smoking again ARRGG!!
I have been feeling the stress and anxiety, not sure why since I am looking forward to having the surgery and being on the other side. I guess sometimes we are good and pushing fears and worries deep inside that we don't realize it until it rears it's ugly head.

I'm here for you ladies who are trying to quit, we can cheer each other on!! it's beeter for our health!
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:51 PM

Good to know I'm not the only one. We can all be smoking buddies and get through this together!
Sooooo... my wonderful hubby, bless his heart, saw how much I've been stressing over this subject and planted a horrible idea into my head. You know those electronic cigarettes? Well, they are odorless and only have water vapor. SO... no smell, no smoke and if a nici-fit hits I could take care of it and not go crazy and be a raving 'B' to everyone. Plus, even outside of the hospital they help you quit smoking. Sounds like a win/win, but I don't know how well it would fly with the hospital staff. Maybe I could hide it and just take one puff if I'm in there longer than 24 hours.

Good lord I sound like a crack junkie, lol.
I'll probably be kicked off of here for posting this.
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:15 PM

My TVH was Dec 13, and I smoked up until 12 that night before my surgery... My surgery was at 11:45 the next morning... I did cut back to half a pack a day a few days before surgery... 2 days after the surgery I have been smoking a pack or more a day bc I am
bored... My point is once u come out of
surgery and don't want a cig at that
time hold off bc once u start bk u will
smoke more..
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:30 PM
When to quit smoking before sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisianawoman View Post
My surgery is Monday, Jan. 9. I have reduced my smoking a great deal in the past two weeks. I only had one last week but this week its been extremely hard because I am so
stressed. Did anyone smoke up to the
day of surgery? What is safe? I know
the longer you go without a cigarette
the safer you are but omg I'm so
stressed and not just because of the
surgery I've got some personal things
going on... so anyone who is a prayer
warrior please please pray for me and
my family. Thank you for listening.
I did just notice ur surgery date, and I will prob smoke 2 packs that night...LOL... I'm from Bama/ ur from LA.... I hope all goes well

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register