7 Day Post Op Appt & Released by Doc-Is This Normal? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

7 Day Post Op Appt & Released by Doc-Is This Normal? 7 Day Post Op Appt & Released by Doc-Is This Normal?

Unread 11-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Re: 7 Day Post Op Appt & Released by Doc-Is This Normal?

Hello ladies,
Thank you for all your advice! I called the doctor this afternoon and talked to her nurse. When I asked if no follow ups were the norm, she said no. She told me that since I worked at the same hospital, I would know if I had any problems and she would see me if needed. She sounded as if she was doing me a favor by not having me come in. I did explain to her that I was uncomfortable (thanks ladies for the encouragement) with no checks and she seemed to understand. I now have an appointment in a couple of weeks and feel much better!

I love this site and the people on it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2009, 06:22 PM

If I was you I would look for a second opinion I have never known anyone to be released after one week. I was told to spend the first week in the bed. I am 2 weeks out and still cant drive. I do not think that the waiting 6 weeks for sex is really a option I have read some of the horror stories on here and would not even think about doing that until released by a doc.
Unread 11-06-2009, 09:44 PM

Good for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2009, 10:37 PM
7 Day Post Op Appt & Released by Doc-Is This Normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck1600 View Post
Hi Ladies,
I had a total DaVinci with everything removed Oct 26. I went to my 7 day follow up appointment with doc and she said to call the office if I have any problems and see you in a year!
I was shocked to say the least, I thought doctors would atleast like to do an exam one more time to see if everything was healing properly. The only thing she had to say was she recommends no sex for 6-8 weeks (recommends?? sounds like that could be left to choice...) and call when you're ready to go back to work and we'll do the paper work...ok....how long should that be? I'm nervous now because I feel like I won't be followed medically like most here on this site are. We have good insurance so I'm sure that's not the issue....any other similar experiences?

Feeling like I've been kicked to the curb by my doctor!
Carrie
Wow!
Most times, your doctor should book a 4,6 or 8 week post-op appointment to determine how you've progressed and come along. Doesn't matter which procedure was carried out for your hysterectomy-you still have the same internal healing going on. Make sure you take a good chunk of time (I would suggest no less than four weeks) to make sure you are feeling up to working an eight hour day!), THEN call your doctor's office for release. OR, call now and pre-book one for that timeframe for a final assessment. Just got to tell you that a lot can happen after Day 7. On Day 9, I was hospitalized for 5 days from complications that had materialized, so NO-you should not be released yet! Go easy girl and take time to rest up!
Unread 11-06-2009, 10:52 PM

WOW! I had a partial Vaginal and was instructed to not drive for two weeks PERIOD! He was very direct about that. He wouldn't even schedule me an appointment for 6 weeks to go back to work. i begged him to and he said the earliest he would even consider is 4 weeks...

If I were you I would get a second opinion. I drove a very short distance after 8 days and let me tell you, I was in PAIN the rest of the day. Throbbing pain in the vagina and sharp pain in my stomache
Unread 11-07-2009, 06:46 PM

I saw my doctor post op at 10 days and was released (cautioned not to lift or push anything too heavy) but also have a last check up about 7 weeks post op ......
Unread 11-07-2009, 07:14 PM

Hi Buck1600,
I sort of had similar dr appt. only I am 3wks post op from having vertical abdominal removal of tubes, ovaries, ovarian mass, adhesions, & bowel repair. I only came in for them to check incision & ?'s I may have had, touched briefly on HRT's, then said to call if any problems or if I decide on HRT's after getting clearance from reg dr or MS dr. No internal to check if healing ok, nothing. Call for referral in January for mammo, that's it.
I do not feel ready to go back to work at 6wks, I feel I need a couple more weeks, my MS symptoms flared up. I don't know if I should go to reg dr. for ext. in disability beyond 6wks. or call ob/gyn office that I am having problems.
I just feel I have been dismissed and that's it.

Lynnd
Unread 11-07-2009, 10:41 PM

Lynn, especially with the MS, push for yourself. Maybe try the gyn. office first, and if not either talk to your regular doc. or get a second opinion. Strange you hadn no internal check at all. How areyou supposed to know for sure it's healing correct? Odd.

Take care,

Unread 11-08-2009, 07:20 AM

I had a DaVinci too and had a two week post-op and that's it unless there are any problems. I don't have to go back until my yearly next July.

I was a little surprised too but she said they don't neccesarily have to see you again unless you experience any problems because you heal so much faster with a DaVinci. I decided to take the full 6 weeks because I do a lot of lifting at my job and hardly ever sit down.
Unread 11-10-2009, 08:48 PM

Hi Hyster Sister

It is totally ok to call and shedule an appointment with your doctor to go over questions. Tell her that you need this time. My doctor said she would see me in 6 weeks in the hospital. I was actually surprised that she did not want to see me before. I wondred if OBGYN's are reluctant to bring patients to the office because of H1N1 concerns. I am high risk and have not recieved the vaccine yet. Maybe?

I also had no probleem calling the office to ask questiosn as I needed them answered. Not a PIA but reasonable things, constipation, discharge changes, pain. The office nurses have also been a good support. When my dr. was away the other doctors called and answered my questions. They were very supportive and offered to have me come in to check things out if they did not get better. If you need test results you can ask for one of the other physicians to give you results. If you have an infection 2-3 days could be very important.

Finally, it i think it is a good idea for both you (and your doctor) to have an actual exam before being medically cleared to return to work. In the event something happens after you return to work there may be insurance/liability/FMLA issues.

I encourage you to be direct with your doctor. You deserve to feel supported during this time.

Good luck

PS sorry for any spelling errors. I havn't figured out the spell check tool yet!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register