Adhesive Allergic Reaction | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adhesive Allergic Reaction Adhesive Allergic Reaction

Unread 03-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Adhesive Allergic Reaction

I am 2 wks post op and am having an allergic reaction to the adhesive they put on the incisions prior to placing the steristrips.

It started 4 days post op. I went to my GP (it was Sat) and she gave me an anti-itch cream. This did not work. I went to my ob/gyn's associate the other day (Monday) as my Dr is on vaca (go fingure) and she gave me a much stronger anti-itch cream (0.1 to 2.5%) this also did not work. I called on Wednesday (Dr does surgery on Tuesday). They called in a 'script for a 6 day steroid treatment that I just started today.

Luckily for me my DBF has back problems and had 4 gel ice packs in the freezer; these are my only comfort. I rape one around a hand towel around the ice pack, put it on my belly and hold it in place with the belly band sold here (the ice packs that come with the bad are ineffective as they will not cover both incisions at the same time; it is one incision 100% or both 50% covered.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, when does it clear up?

The itching is so bad that my cases of poison ivy and shingles are nothing compared to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Re: Adhesive Allergic Reaction

I had that same problem. When I went to get my surgical clips removed, they put a glue called "Mastisol" around the incisions. Then they laid steri-strips over the top. Right away they bothered me. An hour later, I was peeling them back off and using warm soapy water to remove the glue. I called the doctor and he said to use gauze and tape and cover the wound, but not tightly. Since then, I've had no problems and my incisions seem to be healing alot better.
Unread 03-20-2010, 10:44 PM

My surgery had to have the little flags because I'm allergic to the glue on bandaids and tapes, so I was labeled as latex allergy. Still have peeling 6 weeks later from the tape they used over my little incisions. I got itchy then when I tried peeling the tape back, I saw my skin getting the telltale redness. It actually did a little blistering, so off came the tapes. Ask your doctor's office if you can take something like a kid's dose of benadryl or if they think you have an allergy to latex glue. Topical's never worked for me for itch relief, only getting rid of the tape or using 'liquid skin' to hold gauze in place. Don't itch the red spots or you'll end up with a little badge of dried skin or infection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2010, 11:17 PM

i had same w/ gallbladder surgery - i got antibiotic ( just in case), steriods & a steroid cream. Also used a antiobiotic cream, like neosporin. It will go away , but patience is hard!
Unread 03-21-2010, 12:13 AM

sounds like a latex allergy... good thing about that is your always first for surgery due to sterile enviroment needed!
Unread 03-21-2010, 07:42 AM

I also have an allergy to some of the tape they use, usually paper tape. I have been left with a scar now in the crack of my arm where they taped an IV, it blistered and then crusted over, now at 5 weeks it's just a scar
Hope you feel better soon
alicia
Unread 03-23-2010, 02:27 PM

update:

Today I am 2.5 wks post-op.

The cortisteroid treatment worked for the first couple days, and then the itching came back as bad as ever. The hydrocortizone cream only works for an hour or so; then the itching returns. My only real relief is the ice packs.

I have never had an allergic reaction to anything (ok except poison ivy and oak) ... is this the same??? ( as in it is going to take weeks for the itching to stop??)

Between not being able to do anything I want to do because I have to be careful, and this itching, I am seriously becoming depressed. (I dont want to do anything, just sit and veg on the couch and basically be a lump on a log)

Thanks everyone for your responses.
Unread 03-23-2010, 02:56 PM

I'm sorry, Bezer.

Maybe you should call the dr's office and let them know it's not working. I would think you'd be having relief by now. Perhaps they can have you use something else.

Try to not feel down and sad. Enjoy this quiet, restful time. We'll be back in the hectic "real world" soon enough. Take care.
Unread 03-29-2010, 06:35 PM

Thanks everyone; I am now just over 3 wks post op and the itching is pretty much down a healing incision.

I can honestly say I wish this upon no-one. (I gave up after the cortisteroid pills as I could not get in to see the Dr, really didnt want cortizone shots, and thanks to having to sit around the house, got used to wearing an ice pack on my tummy)
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:48 AM

I had the same problem after surgery.I had a reaction to the band aids.I also had a rash from the hormone patch they applied to my arm after surgery.Well both were scared for a long time.I never thought they would go away.They did .I later found out I do have a latex allergy.Might want to be tested.Good Luck.You will get better in time.Enjoy your rest .Take care

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register