Consultation scheduled and alittle nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Consultation scheduled and alittle nervous Consultation scheduled and alittle nervous

Unread 08-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Consultation scheduled and alittle nervous

Hi! I joined HysterSisters in 2008 when I first found out I needed surgery. I have put off the surgery this long for many reasons. Now I have my consultation scheduled for Monday the 30th and I just don't know what to be prepared for?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Re: Consultation scheduled and alittle nervous

It's normal to be nervous. I thought I would have a panic attack when I walked into my Dr's appointment. I had a lvah on 8-16 due to chronic pelvic pain. No Doctors believed me and thought I was only a drug seeker. Even though I wanted 1 more child my quality of life was going downhill so I decided to have the surgery. My doctor was pretty fast at deciding I needed to have a hysterectomy. I went to my 1 week follow up and the Dr said that they found a lot of adenomyosis and the surgery was the best option. I am kind of sad now because I know there are treatments for it and I could have gave the medicines a try.
I wish you lucky and hope all goes well, you will be in my prayers.
Unread 08-26-2010, 12:14 AM

Hi SisterBelle:

Here is a link to get you started on things to ask your doctor: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...=96847&print=1 Bring pencil & paper so you can write down the answers (it can be overwhelming!).

I hope you are able to find the right answers. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2010, 03:04 PM

You didn't say why they thought you needed surgery... I put off surgery for 18 months because I didn't feel that the symptoms warranted it. I did some research though and found out that not all cancer can be biopsied and found. Based on certain conditions, spotting or what not, means a 7-30% chance of cancer.
You also didn't say how old you are, because, in my opinion, once you "go in there" then some people think "take everything" because then you would never have to worry about getting cancer down the line. Maybe that's not a good reason... however, for example in my case, I talked to two gyn's and an oncologist and researched and one thing everyone seemed to agree on - if you are late 40's -50's take the ovaries, if early 40's or younger keep them. I also found out that if you've got lot's of fibroids, polyps, etc., then these could be stopping the blood from getting to your ovaries anyway and so they could very easily be "atrophied" anyway.
I was scared too - but putting it off could be much worse!! I finally got the nerve to do it after I friend put hers off for a long time and then ended up with cancer and had to do chemo and radiation! Luckily for me I had no cancer and now I will never have to worry about it.
Unread 08-28-2010, 05:00 PM

This is actually the first time I've read to go ahead and take the ovaries if you are my age (54). Is there any links to research this more anywhere on hystersisters or elsewhere? My research (very limited so far) seemed to say that if you were under 65 that keeping your ovaries could possibly help reduce the occurrence of osteoporosis, heart disease and .... oh can't remember right now, but it all sounded like a good reason to keep them.
Unread 08-28-2010, 05:39 PM

Actually, the latest research that I am aware of states that the ovaries shouldn't be removed regardless of age if they are healthy: Ovary Removal or Not? Study Suggests -- Keep Ovaries.

Each woman needs to speak to her own physician and second opinion about what is best for as her own medical history, diagnosis, family history, etc. has to be considered. But generally speaking, keeping healthy ovaries may be best for women.

Ovaries secrete trace amounts of hormones even during menopause so they are doing a bit of work for us, even then!

Unread 08-28-2010, 07:13 PM

Yes, well, regarding the ovaries - key word there is healthy!

I am 54 also and chose to take them out based on my own research and consultations yet as it turns out both of my ovaries were atrophied! Something no one had mentioned!!! Because of the fibroids/polyps blood had not been able to get up the tubes properly. This atrophy of the ovaries is quite common. That basically means they were dead and not working!

So I am glad I took them out and removed any chance of ovarian cancer. My gyn said that whether or not they help with heart disease is debatable, no one could give me any definitive answers on a good reason to keep them - sadly this is why I think it's so tough for women to try and make these decisions.
Unread 08-29-2010, 11:39 PM

Just to clarify something... even if ovaries are atrophied, they can be producing tiny amounts of hormones, and merely being atrophied is not a reason to remove them. Also, removing the ovaries does not mean there is no chance of ever getting ovarian cancer. The likelihood is much lower, true, but it's not zero.

How can this happen? Well, the ovaries, being glandular tissue, are kind of fluffy/fuzzy, and it's not like removing a hard-surfaced sphere like a ping pong ball, more like removing a little sea sponge with pieces hanging off of it. It is VERY easy for little bits to be left behind, and those little bits can even re-grow an entire ovary, in a condition called Ovarian Remnant Syndrome. It's uncommon but not super-rare... we've had many women here who have had ORS.

In addition, it's possible to get primary peritoneal cancer after the ovaries are removed, and that is basically ovarian cancer but in the peritoneum in the areas where the ovaries were.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

s,
-Linda
Unread 08-30-2010, 12:08 PM

soooooo....all this said.
There appears to be no right answer or wrong answer to the removal or not of the ovaries..it sounds like it's a "what you and your doctor feel will work the best for you."
I don't like that....I like black and white so much better. It makes life so much less complicated.
But, no one promised me an uncomplicated life, did they?
Oh well...maybe complications just add some spice to life!
Gotta look for the good somewhere in this!! LOL
Unread 09-04-2010, 09:35 PM

I believe it is what you decide to do and what is best for you. Depending on your problems as an informed individual. Research as much as you can. I still have not made my decision but, it is at my door and I have ignored the knocking for to long. I'm 30 and I had my left ovary removed 2 years ago not by choice, it was gangrene. The docs are now wanting me to have everything taken out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register