Scheduled SAH SAH needed for complications from D&C...scared to death! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

SAH needed for complications from D&C...scared to death! SAH needed for complications from D&C...scared to death!

Unread 06-02-2013, 06:53 AM
SAH needed for complications from D&C...scared to death!

I have a long history of heavy bleeding that led to severe anemia and non existent iron stores. I couldn't eat, had severe panic attacks and sensitivity to light, vision problems, and even paranoia (all of which the Dr. said WANS'T anemia related symptoms) I guess I'm a "difficult" patient because I refused to have a hysterectomy or ablation at the time and I also refused blood transfusion. My Dr. at the time said I'd die without it. They said I had a Fibroid in my back uterine wall. I opted for iron infusion and I slowly began to improve. I continued to have some mild anemia, but got much better when I met my wonderful husband and started eating better. The past few years I've been on Ferrous Fumarate 324.A year and a half ago I had a D&C and Hysteroscopy. They said I had polyps that were likely causing the bleeding. It was wonderful! Bleeding was much lighter and I while my levels were on the lower side I was no longer anemic. 4months ago I had my period as normal, but continued to have light bleeding for weeks. I went to see my GYNO and he said "let's do another D&C because you are nearing menopause and the issues will resolve itself. If that doesn't work we will use hormones." I was excited because the first D&C went so well. After the D&C I felt great, but I thought it was odd that the hospital called to check on my twice. They didn't do that before. I also had more bleeding than previously for the first two weeks, but wasn't concerned. Then the bleeding stopped and I got a pale yellow discharge. I talked to the GYNO nurse. She wasn't concerned. Two weeks post op I had sex with my husband because the Dr. said it was okay. I had pain and more bleeding. No concerns from them again. Two weeks later we tried again.,.more pain and bleeding. I went to see Dr. again and he said no infection, but I was getting ready to ovulate and that should clean out my uterus. He said everything looked "fine." He told me he scraped much more this time because he couldn't believe the amount of lining that had grown back and that he scraped my Fibroid to see if it would scar over. I searched the web and paid to talk to those online Dr's and NO ONE has ever heard of such a thing. One online Dr. told me it was impossible to make a Fibroid scar on purpose. That weekend I had a severe headache with nausea (migraine??) and blood clots started coming out with heavy bleeding. I figured that was the "cleaning out" he was referring to. But this didn't stop and continued to only get worse. Suddenly I was having HUGE clots (the size of a grapefruit), then some smaller ones. Off and on the blood would lessen and I'd think it was going to stop then it would gush with more clots and keep repeating this cycle. I am 7.5 weeks post op and it still wont' stop. I went back to see the Dr. again a few days ago so upset, crying, depressed and scared. I told him he must have done something he shouldn't have to me and now I was worse than I have ever been! He said he "had" to scrape the Fibroid because it's in the wall next to the lining and that my Fibroid was the problem. My cervix was tender when he examined me and he has no explanation as to why. (above the pelvic bone-that's the cervix right??) He gave me the choice of hysterectomy or trying hormones, which probably wouldn't work. At this point I told my husband I feel like I have no choice. I just told the Dr. to only remove my uterus and not my cervix or ovaries. This Dr. told me the uterus and cervix are "useless organs" that have nothing to do with orgasm. I have read much different on the Internet! I talked to him about UAE and he said they don't do that and it would be extremely painful and wouldn't last any way. I am scared to death! I don't trust this Dr. any more, but if I wait to get a second opinion I feel like I'm going to bleed to death and my surgery is scheduled for only 11 days away. My husband asked him to check my blood levels (as if he even had to ask!) and later that day when they called with the date of hysterectomy they said I was "mildly anemic" and to take my iron 2X's a day. I explained I already do that so the nurse said "well just keep doing that and we'll check it again the day of surgery." 4 days later I'm having dizzy spells, weakness and feeling like I'm going to pass out.I feel like this won't go well if I don't have a positive attitude going in to it, but it's hard to under the circumstances. I'm scared he's gonna get in there and have to remove my ovaries and cervix too and I will no longer be able to have sex with my husband and it will ruin my life. I'm also scared he will do something again and I will have complications. He assured me there will be two surgeons in there, not just him. Confused, scared and feeling desperate. Feel like I am slowly dying and don't know where to turn. Getting too weak to even reach out for help..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2013, 07:22 AM
Re: SAH needed for complications from D&C...scared to death!

Get to a new doctor NOW. Bleeding post op and clots that large are NOT normal. Can't believe they think that is okay. Go to another GYN and I bet they take you when they hear your story. Do this Monday morning.

You can have your uterus, ovaries and cervix removed and still have great sex with your husband. Trust me, would not be doing it if I couldn't, I totally understand that thinking. You can still orgasm, but when the cervix is gone the man will not feel that " pulsing" from it during orgasm. The vaginal wall still contracts and squeezes. )
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:05 AM

Thank you so much! I only wish I would have come here sooner rather than continuing to deal with this Dr. for nearly two months! My only concern about getting a second opinion at this stage is that this Dr. office is the only GYNO office in my rural area so I have to travel an hour to get to another, which I have no problem with, but I don't know how soon I could get in and I can't keep bleeding this way for much longer! My thought now is I asked my husband to go to the emergency room at the hospital that's an hour away with the hope they would call in a GYNO who could see me ASAP! Just this small comment has given me so much more hope!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2013, 08:16 AM

Pleeeeeeaaazzzz get another obgyn...the one u have has not served his purpose..... Don't wait do it ASAP... My prayers go out to you. I had my LAVH 3 days ago, they removed my cervix as well.....I'm feeling much better then I thought I would.....best of luck to you!!!!
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:24 AM

Thank you missKarma! Finally people I can actually talk to about this and validation that it is not just my own worry that there is something wrong with this Dr.!!! I will get to the hospital first thing tomorrow as soon as I am able as I am too weak and dizzy to move first thing in the morning. I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I'm able! I hope this helps someone else as well!
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:29 AM

nsprague

As said already get to another Dr ASAP.

When you call explain your situation, that you are concerned about the route this Dr is taking but you are bleeding heavily and due to anemia concerns you need to see someone. This may help you get an appointment more quickly.

You have no trust in this Dr so if there are issues after the surgery you will have no trust in either what he is telling you or his resolution of the issue.

Unread 06-02-2013, 09:54 AM

Everything they said!! Call first thing in the morning, explain the bleeding and your impending surgery, and someone will get you in. Don't do the surgery with this doctor!! Prayers for you!!!
Unread 06-02-2013, 01:54 PM

Trust is HUGE when going in for a surgery at all, but especially one like this! Do what everyone else said and call a different dr and explain your situation! Dr's have "black out" appointments for emergency situations, I'm sure you can get in sooner than you think! Good luck
Unread 06-02-2013, 04:58 PM

Keep us posted! We are all pulling for you!

Peetz

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register