Question about Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy Question about Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy

Unread 04-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Question about Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy

I was wondering if anyone has had an LSH or talked to there doctor about having this procedure done and had the doctor tell you that when they leave the cervix you could still have some spotting?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2006, 07:11 PM

I saw my Dr. yesterday and that was one question I asked him. I had read that the little "stump" that is left can bleed. With my incredible bad luck I wanted to know if I would be the only woman on the face of the earth to have no uterus and still have a period! He said it can happen but he has never had to go back and remove just the cervix. He told me that if there was some residual tissue they could go in (in the office) and cryo the spot that is troublesome. If it helps any I met a lady today who had it done 3 years ago and is doing great with no bleeding at all. Her situation was quite similar to mine in that she had an ablation that failed, and ended up having LSH. I'm scheduled for the 28th and just wish I was already on the recovery side of things! Good luck in making your decision and I hope I helped a little.
Unread 04-05-2006, 08:02 PM

I had a LSH and I have had no bleeding or spotting. I asked my dr. about mini-periods and he said less than 1% of his patients has experienced it. He was very confident that I would not.
I would just ask your doctor some questions to find out about their past patient results. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2006, 09:56 AM

I don't want to scare anyone, but I'm hoping that some experience can be gained by what happened to me with LSH. My recovery was going along great (no discharge at all). Then one week after the procedure I was told that they had discovered uterine cancer. No tests had been done for it prior to surgery. Unfortunately, by chopping the uterus up into pieces, the LSH procedure has put me at much greater risk of the cancer spreading. Cancer had been the farthest thing from my mind prior to my hysterectomy.

I still think that LSH is a great procedure, but please tell your gyn about my experience and ensure that the possibility of cancer is at least explored prior to your surgery.
Unread 04-08-2006, 11:57 AM

Hi BuNNyinmi,

I also had a LSH. I had my cervix cauterized ~during~ my hyst and I have not had a mini-period in post-op. You might ask your Dr. about it.

Best wishes,

Mary :smilie5:
Unread 04-08-2006, 08:03 PM

Crazysuzy, Wow that's scary. Just out of curiosity why did you have the LSH? My ultrasound showed a normal sized uterus with some spots of suspected adenomyosis. He seems to feel everything is "normal" except the abnormal bleeding despite my hydothermal ablation. My husband keeps asking me "are you sure nothing else is wrong?" I keep saying I don't think so, but in the back of my mind there is always that nagging thought of what if it's something more. I'm sorry that fear came true for you. I hope things go well for you . Thanks
Unread 04-08-2006, 08:41 PM

I had an LSH for a 3 cm fibroid and an enlarged uterus (11 cm). I asked my gyn why my uterus would be so large, since my fibroid was relatively small. She didn't have an answer. It turns out that the type of cancer I have enlarges the uterus uniformly.

I was having constant bleeding, interspersed with bleeding "episodes" with a huge flow and clots the size of my hand.

If you are post-menopausal and are having abnormal bleeding, please encourage your doctor to do a biopsy prior to the surgery. Several ladies in the cancer group have commented that they had an ablation that failed because the cancer just kept right on going. It's worth a phone call anyway.

Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 04-08-2006, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the advice. I am not menopausal only 41 but will probably talk to the Dr.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register