I'm scared for the 21st | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm scared for the 21st I'm scared for the 21st

Unread 06-15-2006, 07:48 PM
I'm scared for the 21st

Hi, I'm Shawn, and my hysterectomy is scheduled for June 21st, only 6 days away! I'm a nervous wreck! I was doing okay until I had a bad day Monday with a trip to the hospital and an u/s, and my pre-op yesterday. Now I'm freaking out! I'm not good with anesthesia - I'm asthmatic and one time I woke up with a nebulizer treatment being done because I had problems while I was under. I've had 2 procedures since then with no anesthesia problems, but I'm still scared to death!!! I just want to wake up! My hysterectomy is a partial - it's done abdominally but I'm leaving my ovaries and cervix. Any advice to calm me down short of me downing tranquilizers? LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm scared for the 21st

Well, I am claustrophobic and I discussed it with my doctor. She said that well before they take me to the OR I will be given an IV with "Happy Drug"--her words---in it and I won't mind a thing. I'm counting on this. My surgery is on the 19th.
Unread 06-15-2006, 08:17 PM
I'm scared for the 21st

You will both be fine! Shawn, when I had my surgery and I was in the prep/holding room, the woman next to me apparently had asthma too because they gave her a breathing treatment before they took her back for surgery. I would mention your fears to your anesthesiologist and maybe he/she will order something for you before surgery.

As for the "happy drugs," they are great. I've has a few surgeries in the past few years and whenever I get my happy drugs in the prep/holding room, I get to the door of the room and then don't remember a thing.

Good luck to both of you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2006, 08:18 PM
I'm scared for the 21st

6/6 was my surgery, I did not get Happy Drug before the OR, It was given to me in the OR. This is a good idea.
Pamper yourself the week.
Unread 06-15-2006, 08:19 PM
I'm scared for the 21st

Oh big hugs....

I was the same way.. the surgery didnt bother me as bad as being put under. However, the anesthesiologist, came in and gave me that relaxation drug in my IV. I was in tears. He was so kind and nice about it. After he did that, I really didnt care anymore. Made me real relaxed.

I wish you well and just know if this is that big of a concern, please let them know so they can help you out! You deserve to feel good before too!

best wishes and you will be okay... dont feel alone..

Lily
Unread 06-15-2006, 10:13 PM
I'm scared for the 21st

Thank you everyone! Wish I could have that happy drug right about now until the 21st! LOL!
Unread 06-15-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm scared for the 21st

Yeah, give me that happy drug to so I can calm down my anxious self! Oh, I had the Versed (happy drug) yesterday with the colonoscopy, it was WONDERFUL, wish it didn't wear off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 06-16-2006, 12:11 AM
I'm scared for the 21st

I am also asthmatic and woke up with the tube still in my throat-- being a little clausterphobic, I was so scared and of course I knew not to touch it but they said to relax and breathe and I did and I was fine. It does not hurt to call the anesthesia dept in your hospital (I did) and explain your concerns- maybe they can pick a Dr who is better with your issues and can calm you better. MY surgery is the 23rd for a TAH and panniculectomy so it is a 4 hour surgery. Have faith and dont get all worried-- they know what they are doing.
Unread 06-16-2006, 05:22 AM
I'm scared for the 21st

Hi Shawn!!

My surgery is the same day as yours. I am getting anxious myself, and am trying to keep busy.

I don't know if you have the option of having and epidural for your surgery or not. That way you wouldn't have to be put out. Just a thought!!

Beth
Unread 06-16-2006, 07:46 PM
I'm scared for the 21st

Hello! My surgery is the day before yours ..total abdominal and one ovary. I do not have any experience with the asthma thing, but the advice the other girls gave sounds great. If you are comfortable, maybe you could call you doc and ask for a low dose anti anxiety. I take .025 Xanax as needed. Funny, but thats getting more often lately...go figure. I am not a doctor and I do not think these would work for everyone, but it has helped me alot.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register