Keeping ovaries but confused about hormones | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keeping ovaries but confused about hormones Keeping ovaries but confused about hormones

Unread 08-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Keeping ovaries but confused about hormones

I'm 44 and aving my hysterectomy in December. Can anyone give me some insight on hormones. I'm very confused, I'm keeping my overies and cervex, but everything I read on the internet has women complaining about hormones, premature ageing, lack of sexual desire, and orgasim problems such as no orgasm not to mention forgetting about having a multiple orgasm ever again because I won't have a uterus!. I am very lucky to enjoy orgasm almost everytime my husband and I have relations, I even have multiple orgasms on occassion. I'm sorry, but I am really scared and thinking I might just learn to live with these thing! Please help to educate me I don't know who or what to believe anymore!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Re: Keeping ovaries but confused about hormones

Hope92,

Good question! Hormones can have a huge impact on some of us. We are all different and the women who don't have any hormone problems don't tend to hang out here and talk about how good they feel. Those of us who have had trouble come here and ask questions.

That said, the fact that you have fibroids is a pretty good indication that your ovaries aren't working exactly like they should. Some say fibroids can be caused by an imbalance between your estrogen and progesterone or estrogen dominance. It can be very common as we get older and approach menopause.

Keeping your ovaries may leave you trouble free! Or maybe not. You just have to wait and see. The surgery can shock your ovaries and they can shut down for a time. If that happens you may want some HRT for a while. Or it could happen that you go into natural menopause and feel great or find you need some HRT. There are various possibilities. And you thought you were confused before!

A big portion of the complaints you read about are from women in surgical menopause, no ovaries. Keeping your ovaries will save you from surgical menopause but you will still go through natural menopause at some point. As you know some women need hormones in natural menopause and some don't. There are lots of women who do well on the first HRT the doc give them, no complaints.

Like I said everyone is different so you can't predict how your ovaries will react to the surgery. No need to worry about it now, wait and see what happens. Your will help you if needed, that's what they do. Hope this helps.

Unread 08-30-2010, 07:16 PM

Just wanted to pop in and say that after my TAH (kept ovaries, lost cervix) 6 weeks ago, I am having no hormonal imbalance issues whatsoever. As for the desire and orgasm issues ... no worries! *grin*

Everyone experiences their hyst differently but I am so glad I had mine. I am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my 30's and beyond painfree!

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2010, 07:36 PM

Hi Hope92!

Because the blood supply to the ovaries can be interrupted with a hysterectomy, women can experience some hormonal issues following the surgery while a new blood supply is established. If all goes well and your ovaries function normally, hormonally you can be fine once the blood is flowing well.

I experienced menopause and PMS symptoms all mixed together for a few months following my hysterectomy. Needless to say, it was quite an interesting experience! But once everything settled down, the menopause symptoms dissipated and I was simply left with PMS that lets me know my ovaries are doing their job!

Because my ovaries do function, I have not dealt with sexual dysfunction issues. Hopefully, your ovaries will also continue to function and all will be well for you, too!

Make sure to discuss your concerns with your spouse and doctor and have an idea of some options just in case things don't go as planned!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register