The depression thing... | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The depression thing... The depression thing...

Unread 10-30-2002, 09:48 PM
The depression thing...

It seems I've been hearing a lot about depression afterward. I think it's the thing that scares me the most. I'm having my surgery Nov. 15 and I'm actually looking forward to it. (Mainly just let's get it over with so I can go on with my otherwise very active life!) I'm hoping the depression thing doesn't get to me. From the first Dr. visit and through the tests until I got my results, I was sure I had terminal cancer and told everyone!

I was so relieved to find out no cancer that I almost feel this surgery think will be a snap. (well maybe.) I'm hoping I can keep chin up and just continue to tell myself that it could have been the big C and that I'm really lucky. Do you think I can pull it off?

Also, my husband is concerned about having someone with me all the time when I get out. When can you be left home alone??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2002, 10:00 PM
depression

I haven't had any depression at all since the surgery. Like you, I was actually looking forward to getting things done and taking control of my life again. Female problems aren't ruining things for me anymore. I feel very good at 7 weeks post op and am in my second week back to work. The only thing I notice at this point is I still tire easily and swelly belly came back with a vengence once I started working again. However, compared to how I felt before, that's not a bad trade at all!

As far as being home alone, my parents came to stay with me. I came home on a Saturday night and they went home the following Monday morning. However, I didn't have any driving restrictions, and that may make a difference. My 17 year old goes to school and works, so I was usually home alone from 7:30 a.m. until 9:30 or so p.m. and did fine. I just kept the phone nearby. I didn't shower while I was alone in the house until a few days after surgery, mainly because I had a friend that fell in hers after surgery and couldn't get out on her own. Didn't want that to happen to me! I cooked a lot ahead of time, so getting my own meals was a matter of pouring the milk on the cereal or zapping something in the microwave.

Hope this helps put your mind at ease. Good luck!
Unread 10-30-2002, 10:24 PM
The depression thing...

Hi Jetty

I didn't have depression afterward, but I didn't have mood swings either (and this is according to my DH!). I felt tired and rested a lot, but I was pretty much okay.

My DH brought me home from the hospital and then went out to get my prescriptions. He worked at home the next 2 days, but I was relatively mobile and got around okay. I did need his help getting in and out of the shower the first few times, though!

And I followed another sister's advice and kept my cell phone nearby --- it was actually in the pocket of my tummy pillow, which I ALWAYS kept close.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2002, 11:55 PM
(((((Jetty))))))

Hi Jetty,

I totally understand about your concerns of post-op depression... I worried a lot about that too.

My TAH/BSO was about 6 weeks ago... I had only a couple days in these 6 weeks where I felt kind of funky, kind of blue... AND... found that if I went out with a friend for a coffee (or something easy like that)... the depression was gone. I think my blue moments were more from having "cabin fever" than anything else.

You asked how long will you need someone with you post op... it was just the first couple of days that I really felt like I needed hubby's support... just in case... I needed help the first day home getting in the shower, etc... but from that day forward it got easier and easier. My hubby only missed, like, 2 days of work to help me out. I think you'll be feeling better than you think you will be feeling. That is how it was for me.

My best wishes to you... please join us in the hystersisters chat room... lots of wonderful support just waiting there for you.

HUGS to you, Gracie
Unread 10-31-2002, 09:23 AM
The depression thing...

Jetty,

I will be 5 weeks post tomorrow & have not experienced actual depression. I have had periods of feeling a bit weepy, but I attribute that to hormonal adjustments & just wanting to have things back to normal.

As for having help post-op - I had my dd for the first 3 days at home (mostly to walk my dog!!!) & it was wonderful having her. But, I could have taken care of myself (ONLY MYSELF) without help.

Like OmahaKitty, I did not shower for the first week unless someone was in the house. I was also afraid of falling & having some real problems. Did fine, though.

Good luck to you!

Mongie
Unread 10-31-2002, 09:25 AM
The depression thing...

I am just over 1 week post op and have not experienced any depression. (I am on HRT now too) Sure, sometimes you get a little cabin fever like other sister said, or frustrated with not being able to get back to normal as soon as you would like, but overall I just try to take things one day at a time and enjoy the rest and relaxation.

As far as being left alone, it really depends on how your recovery goes. I had surg on a Wed, came home on a Fri, was alone for several hours on Sat, and hub has been back to work since Mon. My 17 yr old does get home in afternoons, and my dh makes sure I have what I need(or within my reach) before he leaves in the morning. And family and friends have been great about bringing meals, so eating has not beena problem.

Best of Luck! I think having a good attitude now like you do towards your surgery will help.

Unread 10-31-2002, 10:14 AM
The depression thing...

I have had a few bouts of depression since my surgery. They have not been severe and they have not lasted too long. A friend tell me it is not uncommon after surgery to have some of this go on, especially with this particular surgery. My mood swings seem to have been over sooner than the bouts of depression, which seem to still come on occasion. I was post meno when I had my surgery. I am unable to use any HRT. I also have a couple of teenagers who are going through some difficult times. So I can not tell you how much of the depression comes from the anxiety and stress that adds. I can tell you that the depression bouts are getting less frequent, tho.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register