surgery/hysterectomy for endometriosis | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery/hysterectomy for endometriosis surgery/hysterectomy for endometriosis

Unread 06-24-2003, 09:47 AM
surgery/hysterectomy for endometriosis

Hi there, I just joined this site today. I am 33, awaiting 2 consults in the next two weeks for possible hysterectomy. I have had endometriosis for at least 7 yrs, have had 5 laparoscopies and have been put on Lupron 4 different times. I am at the end of my rope and have been told that the hysterectomy is inevitable by four different gynecologists over the years. I don't have any children and am very upset about this. It feels like a huge loss. Can anyone relate? Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2003, 10:07 AM

((((Aisamo)))),

I am sorry about your not having children. I couldn't have kids , but that was years before my hyst.

Here is a link to the ladies of aching hearts. The can help you through your emotional pain:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...p?s=&forumid=8

And here is the link to alternatives to a hyst:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...p?s=&forumid=4

Please visit these boards hon.

And feel free to come back to these with any ?s you may have.

Best wishes,

Pamcat
Unread 06-24-2003, 10:43 AM

I'm so sorry you could not have kids, I had a hyst do to endometriosis, but I do have 3 kids, Twins the 2nd time. I feel blessed for that. I am 31 years old. If you have gone through all your other options you have to decide if It is right for you. I know most women dont even want to think about adoption, but you just have to decide for you. I am new to the group also you will find it very helpful, good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2003, 12:02 PM

s

Yeap, I was there too - I was 28 when I had the surgery, and my husband and I don't have kids either.

Please know that you're not alone...and that it's ok to grieve for the children you can't have biologically. Both my husband and I grieved, quite considerably - but, we both know that if and when we want to, adoption is still a possibility. We (hubby and me) came to the conclusion that essentially, whether through adoption or other means, a child is a child, regardless....we decided that if we adopt, the child would be "ours" no matter what

Hope nobody is offended by this - that's the last thing I want to do!

Many warm wishes and blessings; you're not alone, and many of us have been in the same situation. You'll get through it, I promise!

Tess
Unread 06-24-2003, 12:18 PM
Yes....

I had my hyster done on April 30th due to severe endo. My DH and I of 18 years tried to conceive but it never happened.

I have to tell you that the pain of endo and the hormonal problems and the bleeding were so debilatating to me that I felt I wouldn't cope well as a Mom anyways. BUT...

now as a post-op princess I feel soooooooo much better with wnergy, emotional stability and freedom from health issues that now we're looking forward to ADOPTION! We're looking to adopt 2 boys, one is deaf, from the county foster care system.

I told my Mom when I had the hyster, that I was sad I wouldn't have a biological child. She quickly asked me, "If everyone could give have biological children then where would all those wonderful children go without parents"? That humbled me a bit...and now my DH and I are VERY happy.

I first needed my health back...my sanity...my LIFE! Endo took that away from me. It's impossible to live 'normal' with endo...it drains you emotionally and physically.

It was upsetting for me in the hospital. I made sure I wasn't kept on the maternity ward post-op...sometimes they do that and I think it's upsetting if you haven't had children biologically.

I will warn you, if you do decide to go through with the hyster and you are told to come into the doc's office to sign steralization papers...DO NOT GO ALONE! I went in alone thinking I was fine...we were adopting and I just wanted an end to my SEVERE pain. Well, I cried...and cried...and I was so upset I had to call a friend of mine from the parking lot so she could talk to me and calm me down. It was horrible. I don't care how prepared you think you might be...don't sign those papers alone. It makes it feel so cold and heartless. I just wish I had someone with me when I did that to help keep my mind of it a little and for support.

Also...endo can really make your hormones off balance, so don't be surprised if you feel more emotional about things than usual. I feel soooooooo much better these days...and people tell me I look happier than I've looked in years.

I know the baby issue is hard when we haven't had biological children. I'm 39 and we'll be adotping this year. Those babies are already 'mine' and I haven't even met them yet!

Please feel free to PM me anytime you need to, okay?

Rita
Unread 06-24-2003, 12:46 PM

Oh boy can I relate! I too I'm new to this site and have found it to be really informative and supportive.
I was diagnosed several years ago with stage four endo. My only symptoms were infertility. I have no pain at all. I also was on Lupron, twice. Once for 6 months and again for 9 months. I did tolerate it pretty well, sure was nice not getting my period!
After 3 attempts at invitro fertilization with no success it was very difficult for me to except that fact that I could not have children.
Ofcourse all the fertility meds I injected just made my endo worse. I had another lap to clean up that mess in '97. At that time my Dr. told me a hysterectomy was definitely in my future.
A couple of weeks ago I went in for a routine exam and pap when he noticed my ovaries were enlarged. US confirmed that they are the size of grapefruits! Still I had no pain, just a feeling of fullness and a little bloated. My size 4 jeans seemed a little tight, I thought I had just put on weight!
My pre-op was yesterday. Now I'm just waiting for my reservations to 'El Castile'. It's a very difficult and personal decsion to make. If keeping my reproductive organs is going to kill me, forget it! I'm ready to let them go.
Whatever you decide, I wish for you the best.
Feel free to e-me if want at: JLSKID61@aol
Unread 06-24-2003, 03:27 PM

Been dealing with endo pain for 15 years. We too tried it all to get pg. I had to go through the grieving process with the acceptance that I would not give birth to a baby. But---a real big but---you can still be a mother, still be parents. On the other side of the loss and emotional pain there are many options. We are truly blessed with 2 sons that came to us at ages 1 & 2. We too fostered/adopted siblings. They are God's greatest gift to me. Somehow I know it was meant to be. But I had to go through all that other stuff first to get to that point. Take care of yourself physically and give yourself time. After the boys came I really ignored my physical stuff--didn't even go to the gny for years hoping it would all go away. One of my saving graces through the years of infertility and then adoption (and now hysterectomy) was to find online BB's like this one where you can 'meet' others who are going though the same thing. You are not alone. Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register