LSH Newbie first post: post op 10 days | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newbie first post: post op 10 days Newbie first post: post op 10 days

Unread 08-16-2012, 04:35 AM
Newbie first post: post op 10 days: story 1-10 days

Hi all, this is my first post even though I have visited these pages pre-op and over the past couple of days. The information found through each thread has been a god sent for me. Hope I can add to the support and info on this site.

I am 37 years, no kids or partner. Live alone with my 3 cats. I have had adenmyosis and endometriosis since I was 16. Diagnosed with adenmyosis 7 years ago had a more a implant put in and drug treatment which I gained 30kg. 7 laparoscopies. I had to wait till I was over child bearing age to get a hysterctomy. I am fit and healthy-ish but the disease has slowed me down and affected every part off my life. This surgery is the blessing for my life going forward

Now to my post op recovering blog

My date of surgery was 6 August. I was under for 2.5 hours and I had a full hysterctomy with the conservation of both ovaries through laprascopic surgery removal through the vaginal canal.

Upon waking I was in excruciating pain and apparently I had vomited and I had a seriously itchy nose. Once I was in the ward the pain continued and i was given morphine which was blissfully fantastic and i drifted off to sleep.

Day 1: I awoke with not much pain or bleeding. And after 37 hours of no food I got to eat breakfast. My blood clotting pressure leg pad were removed and i was given an injection to stop blood clots. The nurses got me up for a shower which was wonderful. I realised in the shower that my pj pants I brought into hospital with me would not work as I had a catheter and wee bag. So I had to don the sexy hospital night gown again.

My surgeons came into tell me that he operation went well, the ovaries look good, I had adhesions on my bowel which they removed and the removed my uterus and cervix perfectly through my vaginal canal. They look at my 4 incursions and were happy with them and said I could go home the next day..

The pain relief was given in intervals so it made the pain levels bareable. I had so much gas/wind in my belly which seem to push on my stomach. The nurses made a deal with me that if I got up and went for a few walks I could get the catheter removed.

During the morning my temperature rose and my blood pressure dropped to a very low level and developed and cough. I was put back on fluids through the drip and was monitored closely. Once the fluids were back in my system i felt better. One of the nurses suggested that if I get up and walk a bit this will help with my blood pressure. They helped me walk for 5 mins and I was exhausted. The feeling of my stomach was unusual -it was lighter than it was but heavier below and I had to hold the stomach because it wanted to flop down.

12 hours later I had the catheter removed my blood pressure was normal and my temperature was back to normal. When they remove the catheter they then needed me to prove my bladder was working. They call this trial void - you need to pee everything out and they expect at least 200 mls (thank goodness I was on fluid drip and drinking lots of water), then they have a machine to see if your bladder empties fully. Then about 5
mins later they want you to pee again and do the test again. If you pass these tests you get to keep the catheter out, if you fail you need it back in again.

Day 2: I was discharged and allowed I go home. They offered me a wheel chair which I refused but in hindsight it would have been the better option. As you cant walk upright or very fast and have to hold your belly. Outside of your safe ward you now need to interact with people who don't understand the operation you have been through and not give you space or courtesy. So take the wheel chair of offered

Returning home was a great feeling but then the realisation hits you - you can't do the things you thought you would be able to. The bed doesnt lower so you can get I easily, no rails in the shower..... something is on the floor that needs to be picked up that nobody has noticed but you cannot bend to get it etc.

I live alone so I have had my darling father in everyday to help me me out. He has cooked me good hearty veggie and meat stews and washed and hung washing, cleaned and mopped floors, emptied my cat litter trays and feed them. He can only be with me during the day them needs to go home to help my step-mom from work etc.

Since I have been home I have been on full recovery I can stand up right, walk but not for very long and sit up. I have an Accupunturist who has given me post recovery herbs and treatment.

Day 3: wind/ gas is still a problem and s no bowel movement. Walking better and can now get out of bed easier. Incesions still have steri strips over them, even though they are glued shut. Had de-gas and metamucil bought. Pain is manager with panadol and ibuprofen.

Day4: thank god for metamucil bowel has started to work and the pain is much better. Still having panadol and ibuprofen. Walking so much better, can stand for longer periods with no pain. Sitting upright stil is a discomfort.

Day 3-6: pain is good less panadol and ibuprofen and able to walk, stand more
freely. Colour is back in my face, appetite is food recovering really well.
Family and friends are surprised and happy.

Day 7: I have tried to do too much too
soon, I thought I was superwoman and did a stupid then and moved my bed to clean up my cats vomit. It didn't hurt at the time but 10 mins later it felt like I had done 100 sit ups. The tiredness and achiness has kicked in and now I am flat on my back. Pain and nausea has set in and I don't feel too good. Lost my appetite.

Day 8: I awoke bright as a bird and feeling Good. Showered and put on day clothes and able to make my own breaky. My father suggested an outing to my local store so I could get things I wanted. I managed 20 mins in the store and needed to come out. I got home and was completey wiped out and had to go back to bed. Pain, discomfort, nausea and loss of appetite.

Day 9: still completely wiped out and had to stay in bed all the day. Light spotting and discharged has started, not sure if it is the stitches dissolving or of I have hurt myself. Small temp and discomfort. Still have no appetite and feel nauseated.

Day 10: my incisions have scabbed over and about to fall off. I still have light spotting and pain and discomfort levels have increased. Called the hospital and I need to see my GP who is booked out till tomorrow. Have an appointment for the GP in the morning. I have been restif all day and now now understand the fill extent of the surgery i have had done. I have read up on the cutting and stitches that has happened inside and now do not want to move to tear anything. This is a visual the surgeon or nurses need to give you prior to discharging you. The scarier stories the better to stop us trying to do too much too soon. I am worried I
may have caused damage inside that may not be repairable.

Tips:
1. Buy de-gas tablets, metamucil and peppermint tea to help your bowels to move and relive the gas/ wind pressure
2. Take a nighty into hospital and free flowing light one so after your first shower you can put something of yours on whilst you have a catheter in.
3. Write a list of questions you want to ask your doctor about the operation - when they do their rounds you only get a few minutes with them and you still on high levels of drugs so your brain doesn't work quick enough.
4. When you get home be a princess and don't do anything. If you a like me it will be frustrating I know.... But .... It is better for the healing process.
5. Have Gatorade or sports drinks in the house to help with dehydration, drinks lots of water and eat lots of orange and yellow veggies. If you are not hungry try to eat rice or something bland.
6. Most important: this is major surgery
treat it better than I did
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2012, 04:50 AM
Re: Newbie first post: post op 10 days

Hello October74,

Take it easy girl! NO moving the bed!!! ;-) I am Day 14 post-op and I'm still finding out just how little can be too much! ...and the insomnia is driving me nuts! I went shopping with my daughter yesterday (drove for the first time in 2 weeks) to just get a few groceries and some school supplies and felt so wiped out from such a short trip!

Hang in there!
Unread 08-16-2012, 05:40 AM
Newbie first post: post op 10 days

The insomnia is a nightmare i just thought it was me lol day 14 and yours driving already that ia gr8 I am not allowed till next week. No more moving beds or lifting anything now until I am
more heeled. It is amazing how little normal things like walking can wear us out, bring on day 30 and watch is run lol. Thank you for the reply. Happy healing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2012, 05:57 AM

OH...don't get too excited about my drive. It was a mere 2 1/2 miles round trip!! When I told my 9 year old daughter we were going to go to the store she said, "Who is driving????" I told her I was and she asked if she could stay home! :-p Then she asked me, "Mom, are you sure you won't hesitate if you need to slam on the brakes??" hee hee

I am driving to my first follow up appointment later today (unless my husband picks me up--he offered)

I'm pretty sure I won't be running by day 30... I used to run about 3 miles on a semi-consistent basis before surgery and now I get frustrated because I get tired from a slow walk around the block!

It's about 7:00 a.m. here, what time by you? I really need to try to get back to sleep. I have been awake since 4:30 and I am running on only 4 hours of sleep!? I will be cross eyed later if I don't get a nap.

Happy healing to you, too!
Unread 08-16-2012, 06:04 AM
Newbie first post: post op 10 days

Take care driving today - fingers crossed your hubby can drive you

I was swimming and running prior to the op so i feel for you and understand the frustration on getting tired from just walking. Hope you can get a few more hours sleep.

It's 10:03pm over here, I'm in Australia.

Have a good safe healing day x
Unread 08-16-2012, 08:18 PM

My drive today was ok. I was really tired all day and my husband was able to.drive after my appointment. Doc said everything is healing well but he wants me off another 10 days. That is fine by me!

I hope you were able to get some rest and that there was no cat vomit to contend with ;-)

I am hoping to get some decent rest tonight for a change???

Have a good one and by the way, my favorite musician is an Aussie! :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register