Bladders & GYN's | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladders & GYN's Bladders & GYN's

Unread 12-27-2001, 07:01 PM
Bladders & GYN's

My doctor has said that he will "address" my bladder/stress incontinence when he does my surgery. Is it routine for GYN's to repair the bladder, if necessary and simple? Or is this only done by urologists. Of course, I will ask him these questions when I have my preop appt. on Jan. 3rd, but I would be grateful to have input from those "in the know."

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2001, 07:17 PM
Bladders & GYN's

Cindy,

I'm not exactly "in the know," but it is my understanding that gynecologists are perfectly able to perform simple bladder repair-type procedures and it is not uncommon for them to do so, if the need arises, during surgery. I had asked my doctor a similar question because of concerns about the adhesions attached to my bladder. He told me that he is able (and has experience) making the necessary repairs, if needed, and that I shouldn't worry. For something very complex (if there is such a thing, bladder-related), I would consult a urologist, but OB-GYN's do deal with bladder issues as related to pregnancy and such, so I wouldn't worry too much. Do ask your doctor for more info, but I'm sure he/she will do just fine.

Kristine
TAH scheduled 12/28/01!
Unread 12-27-2001, 07:22 PM
Bladder problems

CindyO:

Your ob/gyn should tell you, straight out, how he intends to "address" (and hopefully fix) your bladder problems. To
answer your question, yes, ob/gyns can and do fix bladder
problems while doing a hyst. I had a TVH in June of 2000. Not only did I have a VERY large fibroid, but I had stress incontinence to boot; it was very painful and embarrassing. In my particular case, my dr not only did the hyst but also "slung" my bladder up in a sling (I think it's called the "Birch bladder suspension" ?), and also did an anterior and posterior repair. Basically, he rebuilt a great deal of the muscle structure down there for me. My understanding is, this repair work is sometimes necessary in order to avoid prolapse (collapsed muscles?) following a hyst. My dr knew that if he didn't do the repair work during the hyst, there was a good chance that he was going to have to do it later on. I had had three kids, 1st one was 9lbs 12 oz, 2nd one was 9 lbs, and last one (my baby boy) was 11 lbs 3 oz !! So, my muscle structure down there was pretty well shot.

To wrap this reply up, ask him straight out HOW he intends to fix your bladder problem. Call him if necessary and talk to him. I was very shy about asking questions, and I now know that I shouldn't have been. I was lucky because my dr was very very honest and up front w/ me, but not all docs are like that. They assume that they know what's best for us, and I wonder if sometimes they think we don't "need to know" certain things. * sigh *

btw, I am very very happy w/ results of my operation, specifically the repair portion of it. My stress incontinence has all but disappeared, and the dr confirms that my muscle structure down there is "beautiful" now. I have great GREAT bladder control, and I am very grateful to have had a highly skilled, honest dr who really was upfront w/ me.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

BIG hugs to yoU !!

Jane
Vivelle .15 for vasomotor symptoms
Prozac 20 mgs for PMDD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2001, 03:31 AM
Bladders & GYN's

I, too, had bladder repair. On the 6th of Nov, a tvh with a & p repair was done. I guess due to 4 children, 2 were 7 lbs and 1 was 8 lbs, 9oz and 1 was 9 lbs 8oz. All were 21 inches long. To add, I had 3 miscarriages. I guess that, age 47, and just having a bowel system that goes crazy with stress or milk allergery. At any rate, I woke up with a small piece of tape on the bikini area, the scar is not bad. I am glad to have it done. Now I can sneeze, cough, laugh and hold alot longer then I could before. I found out that he had to cut there to do this, it was not planned. Sign me
:jumping: for joy

:
Unread 12-28-2001, 10:21 AM
Bladder repair

Hi Cindy,

I am having my surgery on Jan. 18. for a very large fibroid. My gyn actually asked me about stress incontinence at my last visit because this would be the time to do something about it. When I told him that I leaked urine when I coughed, sneezed or laughed he sent me to a urogynocologist who specializes in bladder repair. After the hyst is done, the urogyn will do a Burch procedure for bladder repair. He assured me that it is a relatively simple procedure and that as far as pain goes I wouldn't be able to tell that the procedure was performed. He said that the catheter wouldn't have to be in any longer than is necessary for the hyst. I hope he is right.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register