Freakin out about Enema | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Freakin out about Enema Freakin out about Enema

Unread 08-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Freakin out about Enema

So yesterday when they handed my pre-op instructions they wrote on the back "fleet Enema". I just did some searches on here and didn't realize what that was. I'm so... freakin' out here now. I 'googled' it and was shocked to realize what it was. HELP! My mom is to far away to ask about this and would probably not be able to answer since she gets super embaressed about these things! Her 'sex' talk with me was hilarious. She told me I might get sick and bleed and handed me a book. Everything else I found out on my own. YIKES... Why do some of us need to empty the bowels and some don't??? Can anyone answer this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Re: Freakin out about Enema

The best thing for you is that after surgery your bowels will be "sleepy" from the anesthetic and the pain killers. Anything there will sit for a while until they wake up. You will have gas initially. It may take a couple of days before you have a BM. Some do not have any problems with the first BM while others do.
Sending Best Wishes and:hugs5:
Linda
Unread 08-04-2009, 08:39 PM

Hey Omaklackey,

I don't know why some people have to empty their bowels and some don't. I think it might be the doctors preference. I didn't have to have any sort of bowel prep and knew going in that I was going to be having a bowel resection in addition to my hyster.

I once had to do an enema before having a sigmoidoscopy and it's really not too bad. From what I have read it's a lot better than having to drink the awful stuff theygive you for a bowel prep.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2009, 08:41 PM

Omalackey -

As you've found out different doctors require different prep procedures. Some seem to be more thorough or cautious than others.

as you get ready for your surgery.

Wishing you a successful surgery and an uneventful recovery.

G.
Unread 08-04-2009, 08:41 PM

The following thread is a discussion about bowel preps that you might be interested in if you have not read it yet:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=374058
Sending Best Wishes and:hugs5:
Linda
Unread 08-09-2009, 08:45 PM

Did I mention that I had major abdominal surgery about 2 1/2 months ago. I didn't have any problems with bowels. This is my third Abdominial surgery. I wish the doctors would pay attention to what they write for whom. If he had been even moderatly aware he would never have wrote that. Ding Dong!
Unread 08-09-2009, 09:04 PM

I'm glad I have to do bowel prep. I had a big knee surgery many yrs ago. Everything shut down and I didn't have a BM for a week and a half. I had to go back to the hospital because I could go. they gave me an enema and told me to push it felt like I gave birth to a 5lb package It really was not fun and I guess my bowel were ready to blow up. So we should be glad we have bowel prep. One less thing we have to think about, because after I'm out of surgery I don't want to think about poop
Unread 08-09-2009, 09:41 PM

Some do the bowel prep because when they do the surgery it gives them room to work in there so they can push the bowels up out of the way. If they are full they can be in the way and we don't want that. It does really help to have a clean system since it shuts down for awhile after surgery. You will be much more comfortable. I will have a Fleet enema too and was happy to hear it. I wasn't looking forward to having to drink anything, lol!

And Eyelady1971 - you are hilarious! Thanks for the laughs!
Unread 08-09-2009, 11:51 PM

i was surprised and taken off guard when I realized what it was too. About a year prior to my surgery i had to prep for a colonoscopy so just assumed I would be doing the same thing for this surgery. When I realized what it was I was because i don't think i had ever given myself one. i had to enlist the help of my DH who was not amused but it was quick and easy and much less of a bother than the prep for the colonscopy. seriously, it was a lot less irritating and emptied a heck of a lot sooner than the never ending colonoscopy prep. i had burns on my bum from going so much that time!

i'm really glad that i did the prep too because 24 hours after my surgery, i needed to test my bladder which went without a hitch and i was able to go home without a catheter. having my first bm on day 4 at home however was extremely painful. just the thought of having to experience that any sooner during my recovery gives me the shivers.
Unread 08-10-2009, 08:22 PM

DAY 4! No wonder it hurt! I went as soon as I got up and walked around hence why I got to go home so very soon after my last Laparotomy surgery. I don't have sleepy bowels! LOL! I realize most people have this problem though so I guess whatever. Just wish the doctor would pay attention to what he writes sometimes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register