Painful Pelvic Exams | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Painful Pelvic Exams Painful Pelvic Exams

Unread 05-17-2013, 10:48 PM
Painful Pelvic Exams

Ladies~
I am post op Total Abdominal Hysterectomy, of three years. My surgery was emergency, and a cancer scare. At the time of surgery, I was a young 32 year old lady, who was terrified. I have over come a lot of obstacles in the last three years of my life, including the chronic pain that follows a diagnosis of PolyMyalgia. My question is one of a personal nature, but I need some kind advice on what I should request at my next pelvic exam which is this coming Wed.

Normally I would have my GYN to perform the exam, but I am a nursing student that has no health insurance, so I need to go the cheapest route possible. So for this exam my Primary Physician will be performing the exam. The following questions are ones that I need some advice on.

1. A pelvic exam is VERY painful, as I am not married and have chosen to save myself sexually for marriage. It literally feels like the Doctor is ripping my insides out, and I am in pain for a couple of days after. Any ideas on how to make it a bit more bearable?
2. I have never had a rectal exam done, is it something that I should request? I feel kinda of funny asking for such a private exam to be done, but I need to protect my health.

I now these questions are personal, but I am hoping for some answers from ladies that have walked in my shoes.

Thanks everyone!
Tina Paynter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2013, 11:24 PM
Re: Painful Pelvic Exams

About the pelvic exam - tell your primary care physician about your painful experiences and ask for the smallest possible speculum.

Went you say "rectal exam", do you mean a Colonoscopy? I had one done a few months ago - basically they put an IV in your arm, give sedation and painkillers through it, and feed a thin tube up through the colon and large intestine. Many people don't even remember the procedure, because of the sedative. I did, and there were only a few moments of mild pain, whereupon the doctor told the nurse to up my pain medication. There was a video monitor he used to monitor the scope's progress, which I could watch, too. They gave me pictures afterward, but I think I was so out of it from the meds that I misplaced them. You will probably need to arrange for someone to drive you home, and to rest for several hours afterward.

IMO the worst part of a colonoscopy is the bowel prep the day before, and the 'no water' fast the day of the procedure...

Unread 05-18-2013, 12:56 AM

If you had a hyst, why do you need a pelvic exam? For me, they have always been horribly painful and traumatizing and I refuse to have them when I am conscious, especially after the hyst. Before the hyst, I was having surgery every few years anyway, so they would throw in an exam while they were at it.

Why do you need a rectal exam? Are you having trouble? Again, not something to put yourself through if you don't need to.

Just my two cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2013, 05:54 AM

I think you can speak with the nurse ahead of time at your appointment. That has worked with me in the past when there has been something I have been particularly afraid of. If you make it clear what your fears are, and that you need help, she will help you. As far as the rectal exam I have never had one in my life, so if you aren't having any particular concerns I would put that out of your worries. I think the doctor normally would glance at the rectal area during a pelvic exam and see that the outer surface area looked normal and leave it at that. It is not the area of his specialty, kwim?

Hugs and good wishes. I hope you find a compassionate doctor.

Unread 05-18-2013, 10:14 AM

One reason a rectal exam is done is if there has been endometrial cancer, so if you had any signs of cancer it's good to have it done.It's not pleasant, but it's quick, the doctor is just trying to feel if there are any lumps. It is a manual check, one finger ,that doesn't really hurt, but is a bit uncomfortable and maybe embarrassing. Even though you have had a hysterectomy, as you know you still need pelvic checkups. However, not all doctors do a pap smear. You are not alone with this problem of pain. If you look up "vaginismus" you will find that there are physical exercises you can do to help stretch your vagina to make the pelvic exams easier for both you and the doctor. And when you do finally meet your prince, intercourse will be easier too! Take good care Tina.
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:44 AM

Ask them if they could maybe use a child size speculum I had to have my vaginal cuff checked 11 days after surgery and they used one on me to lessen the pain and I have kids. I just want to also tell you that I truly respect that you are 35 and are still saving your self for marriage it takes dedication and courage that I did not have and now as a minister I wish I had so I could tell the young girls that I did it and it can be done but above and beyond that I hot pregnant before I was married all this was before I recived my calling from god.
Unread 05-18-2013, 11:03 AM

Also, ask for the speculum to be heated. Some office do this and some dont, but cold metal can cause spasms and more clenching and pain. The first time i had one done with a small heated speculum, i was amazed that it did not hurt.
A single digit rectal exam isnt bad. The best thing I can tell you is to be sure you had a bowel movement and do not feel the need to go prior to the exam. It can be much worse when the colon is full.
Unread 05-19-2013, 11:31 PM

Thanks ladies. Your tips will make this exam a bit easier. Concerning the rectal exam it is the single digit exam that I wonder if I should question to have done. I want to be totally sure that everything is A~Ok! My appointment is on Wed, so I would seriously appreciate all of your prayers for an easy exam!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register