"Listen to your own body" Words Of A Wise Dr. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

"Listen to your own body" Words Of A Wise Dr. "Listen to your own body" Words Of A Wise Dr.

Unread 11-26-2010, 02:29 PM
"Listen to your own body" Words Of A Wise Dr.

My surgery was on 11-12. I am having pain in the left side, from the area where the ovary was removed across my stomach, along my pelvic bone, and cervix-vaginal area. It gets so bad at times that I can't stand up. I have had ultrasounds, blood tests, x-rays from my GYN, even a CT at the ER two days ago. The Dr.'s found nothing wrong. So they wanted more tests.
Then I had a wonderful ER Doc come in and talk to me. He alleviated some of my fears by just REALLY listening. He told me to listen to my body. I could just be healing slower or have some scar tissue/adhesion's that were too small to show on the tests yet. He didn't tell me to not have more tests but by just giving my pain and fears credence made me feel better than I had in months. The professionals kind-of made me feel as if I were 'faking it' or 'losing my mind'. A caring Dr can make all of the difference in the world! So i guess I'll just keep 'plugging' along
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Re: "Listen to your own body" Words Of A Wise Dr.

God puts the right people in our lives at the right times....I am so happy you got a visit from this Angel of a Dr. We all need validation and someone to listen to us when our head and others are so busy talkin smack to us
Unread 11-26-2010, 03:10 PM

Western medicine's strong suit is its diagnostic tools -- all the tests that can be done. It's the strength, and it's also the weak spot. To be fair to them, I think that healthcare professionals get pressure on them (not least from insurance companies) to "prove" their diagnoses. If they can't show a test result, it's harder for them to promote a course of treatment. It seems to me that everybody needs to step back and realize that sometimes we all get too stuck in "identify the problem and fix it" mode. The Oath of Maimonides says, "May I never see in the patient anything but a fellow creature in pain." Blessed be those healthcare providers who can keep sight of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2010, 03:15 PM

I agree, a genuine, caring and patient doctor can sure make a world of difference.
Unread 11-26-2010, 03:51 PM

I soo agree with you that we "need to listen to our bodies" because doctors don't always know what is wrong with us. So don't give up if a doctor doesn't listen or understand what you pain you are feeling. Our bodies are wonderful...they can tell us something is wrong.

Just having a listen and sympathize can make a whirl of difference. I am glad you had that experience as well.
Unread 11-26-2010, 05:32 PM

It really makes a difference when you get a doctor who listens to you and then helps you to understand better what may be happening. As my counselor said, "You finally found a person, not just a doctor" in response to meeting a doctor who listened to me and validated my fears, anxiety, etc. It felt so good and I am so glad you had this great doctor.
Hope that you feel better soon. Sending lots of hugs
Unread 11-28-2010, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I have to tell you that the Dr. also said that he believes that physicians need to quit making patients feel as if they need to 'apologize' for "Putting the Dr.'s out." His exact quote. I don't know how many times I've said..."I'm sorry, I know that I probably didn't need tho bring my child in..." or "I'm sorry to take up your time, I'm sure it's nothing". It was so great to have a Dr. validate the fears and say its o.k. to be concerned, thats what we're here for. He also aid that any Doc that tells you different or makes you feel 'stupid', should find a different profession!
@myotis...I agree that they are dictated by insurance co's. But your quote says it all....
The Oath of Maimonides says, "May I never see in the patient anything but a fellow creature in pain."
I hope you all have a beautiful....snowy, here!....Sunday!
Unread 11-28-2010, 05:24 PM

I totally agree with him. Too bad that not all of them follow it. Who knows, maybe we can start a new trend.
We don't have the snow but are getting the cold. Looks beautiful until you go out and realize it is in the 20's. One word-Yuck!!
Unread 11-28-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963-isme View Post
My surgery was on 11-12. I am having pain in the left side, from the area where the ovary was removed across my stomach, along my pelvic bone, and cervix-vaginal area. It gets so bad at times that I can't stand up. I have had ultrasounds, blood tests, x-rays from my GYN, even a CT at the ER two days ago. The Dr.'s found nothing wrong. So they wanted more tests.
Then I had a wonderful ER Doc come in and talk to me. He alleviated some of my fears by just REALLY listening. He told me to listen to my body. I could just be healing slower or have some scar tissue/adhesion's that were too small to show on the tests yet. He didn't tell me to not have more tests but by just giving my pain and fears credence made me feel better than I had in months. The professionals kind-of made me feel as if I were 'faking it' or 'losing my mind'. A caring Dr can make all of the difference in the world! So i guess I'll just keep 'plugging' along
What a wonderful Dr.! I wish there were more like that.... sometimes you just need one of them to listen to you & NOT make you feel like a baby!
Glad you're feeling better about things!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register