Back To Work - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-01-2011, 06:15 AM
Re: Back To Work

Welp, I am back to work today. 8-5:30! NERVOUS AS A CAT!! I am afraid I am gonna fizzle out! I will be taking my binder with me to help remind me not to do to much. I will let you all know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2011, 04:17 PM

Great thread, as this is something that I debate quite a bit in my mind. I am in private practice -- good news--I develop my own schedule -- bad news-- no paid sick leave!

Today (exactly 3-weeks post, LAVH + bladder perforation repair) I changed my phone message to my regular at work one, and began making phone calls and future appointments; filling out forms for people, etc..

OMG-- by 1:00, these simple things had worn me out, and my legs felt like they weighed 100 lbs each, when I was walking (er...shuffling) around. I guess the amount of abdominal muscles I use when sitting, leaning forward, and often getting up to just get that 'one small thing..." add up in the long run. Amazing.

Glad I did it so I know how it feels (instead of just wondering), but this experience -- and the many messages in this thread -- help me realize that I am still early in recovery, and to take it slow. My husband and I had talked about one hour in the AM and one hour in the PM of work, and I think I should follow that plan. 3 to 4 hours was too much -- even for sedentary work.
Unread 03-01-2011, 06:39 PM

I made it!! All day too!! I was dragging by the end of the day. And I did find my self kinda waddling after lunch and walking a bit slower. I am on my feet all day but I feel ok. I won't admit this to my husband but I am very happy I am only working every other day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2011, 07:52 PM

I went back to work after 6 1/2 weeks following my dVH. I had to hit the ground running...I work in a high school. I was so glad that I had the time and could wait the 6 weeks. The dr said I could go back at 4 weeks if I wanted but she would support any decision I wanted. I made it through the first week well and then went on vacation...best way to return to work. Anyway, I would tell anyone who is on the fence about returning, then you should wait. Being ready to return makes going back a lot easier.
Unread 03-02-2011, 06:32 AM

Thanks so much for all the different perspectives. Money is not an issue for me because I am using accumulated sick time. My worry is that I'll go back too soon, and become totally overwhelmed. 7th and 8th graders required A LOT of patience, supervision, and HUMOR!! I'm not sure I'll have the required amounts. Discussing this is helping me see that there are other considerations that people are facing as they make the decision to return to work
Unread 03-02-2011, 10:28 AM

Does anyone have any suggestions on how soon would be to soon to start back in early childcare ? Ages 15 months and 3yrs. The hours are 11 hours a day 5 days a week. I realize the dr. usually releases you at 6 weeks an i still have 3 weeks to go, but I am nervous about it an at 47 have considered not. I have mixed emotions. Just thought it might help hearing some of your opinions on it.
Unread 03-02-2011, 05:37 PM

At 6 weeks I was still "babying myself" but at 9 weeks, I am so much more active and can carry the laundry basket. I'm still cautious about really heavy things and don't carry anything I think is heavy too far..I am starting to work on my abdominal muscles so that should slowly improve. If you have the time then I would proceed slowly if you are able too. I feel better and better every week. At 6 1/2 weeks, I was ready for work but I work with older kids with no lifting.
Unread 03-02-2011, 06:53 PM

Ok, After reading this thread Im getting a little freaked out. I work as a nurse and have to go back to work next week. I will be 4 weeks post da vinci. I will be working 6, 12 night shifts in a row, yikes.
Unread 03-02-2011, 07:34 PM

That is a lot of shifts right off but people respond differently to recovery and age has a lot to do with it too, I think. I'm 60 so I chose to proceed with some caution. However, I felt really good at 6 weeks. Four weeks would not have worked for me but that was me. You have to listen to what your body is telling you. I was feeling not ready at 4 weeks and waited. Others have done great at 4. It is so difficult to know. Trust your instinct.
Unread 03-06-2011, 12:40 PM

Well.... I'm 2 1/2 months post-op (TAH); I've been back to work since Feb. 7. I teach middle school - 8th grade. Things have been pretty uneventful until Friday - I'm feeling pretty good. Next Tuesday, we have Open House, so I'm working on getting my room ready. I'm up and down on tables and chairs, hanging students work up. I had students help me, but I'm so particular about how I like things to look. I even went up to school yesterday (Saturday), to get some more work done. I'm now a little more swollen; I hurt at the incision site and I'm worn out. Goes to show you that even at this stage, if you overdo it even a little, you might pay for it later.
Take care of yourselves, Ladies! I've said it before and I'll say it again. Listen to your bodies. Spring Break is one week away. Woo-Hoo!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register