Today DR agreed to TLVH rather than TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Today DR agreed to TLVH rather than TAH Today DR agreed to TLVH rather than TAH

Unread 11-06-2003, 03:16 PM
Today DR agreed to TLVH rather than TAH

I am so excited. After another examination, my DR has agreed to a TLVhyst rather than a TAH. The reason she agreed is that she "pulled" on my childless, post menopausal, tiny uterus today and decided that it is a good possibility that it can be removed thru my vagina. Hooray! She did leave a caveat that if once she got in and found that it would be detrimental to me to keep me under longer doing a TLVH that she would do the TAH.
But I am optimistic. I had accepted the TAH and the time I would be down, but I am elated with the change.

My surgery date is still November 19.

Thank you all for your suport and this wonderful web site which has given me so much information. My crown is on my bedside lamp. Tried it on for my husband last night. I also informed him of this site and that I will soon be a hyster sister.

Thank you all so much. Will keep you posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2003, 06:45 PM

Good luck to you. When you say TLVH do you mean lap assisted vag hyst (LAVH) or total vaginal hysterectomy (TVH)?

Even if it can be done vaginally I was told that the internall work is the same as a TAH with no outside stitches to remind me. Some vag sisters can have over 100 internal stitches that will seal off blood vessels and reattach uterine ligaments to other parts of you (among other things), creating a whole new internal structure to support your vagina, etc. This is a MAJOR cutting-and-stitching job inside you.

Here is a list of abbreviations.
TAH--Total Abdominal Hysterectomy----Removal of uterus including the cervix
TAH BSO--Total Abdominal Hysterectomy- Bilateral Salpingoopherectomy---Removal of uterus and both tubes and ovaries.
LAVH--Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy---Vaginal Hysterectomy with visualization and resection of the uterine ligaments through a scope inserted through or near the umbillicus.The uterus is then delivered through the vagina.
TVH-- Total Vaginal Hysterectomy ---removal of uterus and cervix through the vagina
SAH--Subtotal Abdominal Hysterectomy--removal of uterus through an abd. incision leaving the cervix intact
SAH--Supracervical Abdominal Hysterectomy---same as above
LSH--Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy
Lap Hyster---same as LAVH
TVH---Vag hyster
LAVH---Laparoscopic Hysterectomy
TVH-BSO --removal of uterus and both tubes and ovaries thru the vagina -------------

ROFL -- Rolling on the floor laughing
LOL -- Laughing out loud
DH -- Dear Husband
DD -- Dear Daughter
DS -- Dear Son
BTW -- By the way
JMHO -- Just my humble opinion
HRT -- hormone replacement therapy
NHRT -- Natural hormone replacement therapy
Prog-- Progesterone
Est -- Estrogen
Unread 11-06-2003, 07:28 PM

Goose Lady-

When I had my surgery two weeks ago, I was also told basically the same thing: that they would try LAVH and if my uterus wasn't cooperative enough, they would have to do TAH.

Guess what I woke up to? TVH! No external incisions at all. I guess once they got in there with me under anesthesia and started checking that useless uterus, they decided very quickly to do the whole thing vaginally! I was so elated in recovery when they told me that, that I barely remember feeling much of anything. Okay, so that was the morphine, but you get the idea.

They said that my ovaries just kind of slid into view once they got the uterus out that she didn't even have to use the camera to view them. Good ovaries!

Two weeks later I am feeling darn good and forcing myself to remember that I did still have major surgery.

Good luck to you and keep us updated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2003, 07:22 AM

I am having a LAVH BSO. I am not so familiar with the acronyms as I should be. Thanks for the complete list.

I am just so excited that I will feel better sooner.

Thanks for your support.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register