questions, questions! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

questions, questions! questions, questions!

Unread 04-22-2007, 10:49 AM
questions, questions!

hi ladies!
i am having a tah/bso in 9 weeks. i have been bleeding almost continually since november n have a nice big fibroid as well! just a couple of questions i am hoping some of you could answer -the lower part of my tummy is very tender and the upper part (above belly button) is quite distended. i am guessing this is normal. is the tenderness is due to the ongoing bleeding and is the distention is due to the fibroid? i feel i should know this, but wanted to check really.
also, while i'm here. my friend (who had a c-section when she had her baby) thinks a c-section and hysterectomy are much the same and is not sure why you have to rest so much for a hysterectomy, when she was carting her baby around and didn't really get any rest! has any one got any experience of a c-section who could answer this?
thanks in advance. theresa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2007, 04:07 PM
questions, questions!

I suggest you talk with your doctor about your pain and distended tummy. I really don't know.

As far as a c-section in comparison to a hysterectomy...well, I've had both and pain wise it was pretty comparable, for me anyways, but it just took longer to not feel the pulling and the tugging everytime you get up. Not to mention, in a section, only a baby is removed...hysterectomy involves the removal of the organ, possible ovaries and cervix...much more involved.

I can't say I was any more tired than I was back then, actually, I probably got more rest with the hyst than with the new baby which is only natural. Not to mention, I was 20 years younger when I had my section, so I'm sure age plays a part.

I just listened to my body and didn't do anything I wasn't supposed to do according to doctor's orders and everything went fine. Sometimes I just needed to get off my feet for a bit, not that I was tired, but I just was feeling pressure.
Unread 04-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Questions Questions

I had a LAVH on 02/08, also had my bladder put in a sling and when the Dr. got in there he found my rectum had fallen into my vagina (don't know medical term) My surgery was a 1hr and a half longer because of this. When I went to the urologist for my post-op I told him it felt like I had had a baby. He said this surgery was 10 times worse than having a baby! (and that was vaginally)

Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2007, 12:53 AM
questions, questions!

thanks for your replies. i felt a c-section would be very similar, due to the incision really, but as diane said, only the baby is being removed, not organs. interesting to get your doctors comments too cheryl (and sorry you had to go through all that). next time i see my doctor i will check about the pain and distension. i have read a few comments on here since i posted and some ladies say that this does happen with fibroids. i look about 5 months pregnant!! thanks again.
Unread 04-23-2007, 10:19 PM
distended belly

Theresam, I too had fibroids & my tummy was huge pre op. The GYN said after the surgery that my uterus was huge. 3 weeks post op I had lost 13 lbs!

Cheryl
Unread 04-24-2007, 06:32 AM
questions, questions!

I have had 3 c-sections and now a TAH/BSO - as far as the surgeries are concerned - they felt the same post-op. (bikini line) However as said, they removed alot of parts and pieces, so recovery is a little slower,and more involved. Things have been shifted and moved and have to settle into a new home.

Just remember - take care of yourself and get plenty of rest.

PS: My tummy was huge before surgery and I thought that since they were removing so much I would be flat as a pancake afterwards - HaHa! NOT! Things were still swollen, but are getting better.

Good luck!

Mary Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register