LSH preparations | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LSH preparations LSH preparations

Unread 03-07-2005, 12:52 PM
LSH preparations

I am having a LSH next Tuesday morning. For anyone else that has had this type of surgery, can you give me any advice?

Also, did you have any special preparations other than the normal eat lightly the day before & no food or water after midnight?

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Surgery

Hello sisters, I am having my surgery next Monday and I am scared to death it seems that I cant get anything done. My entire house if falling apart and I have two sons that dont understand that mom has to go into the hospital and they have to stay with grandmother. Can someone please give me information on how to expain to my children that I am gonna be OK. Could someone please give me information on Pre-op preperation.
Unread 03-07-2005, 01:39 PM
LSH preparations

I don't know if I have any advice per se, but as far as preparations go, I did have to do a bowel prep as well as no food and water after midnight. Your doctor will give you complete instructions on what he/she wants you to do to prepare. I was given those instructions at my pre-op appointment about 3 days before surgery.

Relax as much as you can before surgery and be sure to take it easy afterwards. You will feel pretty good, though you will tire quickly for a while. Just listen to your body and you'll do great!

I'd be happy to answer any other questions/concerns you might have.

good luck,

Barb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2005, 01:56 PM
LSH preparations

Hi Spa,

I had a LSH 10 months ago and I cannot believe how good I feel!!

For my prep, as Barblyn mentioned, I could not have any food or liquids after midnight. It was not too bad. I had to be at the outpatient facility at 6:15 AM for a 7:30 surgery so I just showered the morning of surgery and plunked myself in the car and my DH drove. Kinda slept on the way there. I had an hour's drive.

I did ~not~ have to have a bowel prep the day before. At my pre-op, my Dr. just said to have a BM the day before surgery. Which I did.

I agree with Barblyn. You will be tired right after surgery. After my hyst, I spent several hours in the recovery area resting. I even had a late lunch of crackers and some tapicoa pudding and juice.

To leave the same day (or night in my case at 6:00 PM), I had to get up and go to the restroom with a nurse. I did that and got my Dr's okay and I was released. Some LSH ladies stay overnight. I went home and took my pain meds, had a light dinner and went to bed.

Next day, I could walk around slowly. I rested, watched T.V and went on H.S. the first few days. I was up to a short errand by day 3.

Take it easy the first few weeks. That is the most important period for healing with a LSH. I started back to work slowly at 2 weeks and to be honest...an extra week off would have been nice.
]
I think the big thing with "us" LSH ladies is we look great on the outside and we are still healing on the inside right after surgery. A LSH is MAJOR surgery. Just say "No" whenever you need to. I also had a lifting restriction until 6 weeks.

Best wishes. Please keep us updated.

Mary
Unread 03-07-2005, 01:57 PM
LSH preparations

I just got my pre-op instructions: Lab work & EKG one week prior to surgery. Night before I get a choice of Mag Citrate (8oz) or Fleets Enema for to use around 4 or 5 pm other than that nothing to eat or drink after midnight.

JAS
Unread 03-07-2005, 01:59 PM
LSH preparations

Hi-

The day before surgery I was allowed a light breakfast prior to 8 am. After that, it was just clear liquids-except oj-the dr. wanted me to drink oj for the potassium!

At 3 and again at 8 I was told to drink that Fleet phospho soda-yuck! For me this was the worst part of the whole surgical experience.

Nothing to eat or drink after midnight.

I'm very glad I opted for the lsh-feel free to contact me if you have questions!

Edwina

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register