What would you do? | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What would you do? What would you do?

Unread 06-21-2005, 01:03 PM
What would you do?

I'm 35 yrs old. I have been diagnosed with two large fibroids, penduculated (out side my uterisis), 8cm & 11cm. I had laprosopic surgery in an attempt to have them removed in February but they were too large to remove. Doctor also found endo while he was looking around in there.

I have some pain (managable), regular (light) periods, pain during intercourse - (depending on positioning).

Doctor will perform an adominal Myomectomy. I'm getting married in Maui in Feb. 06. I know I want to have the surgery but I can't decide if I should have it now or what until after my wedding (we are taking 3 weeks in Hawaii). I'm concerned about having Swelly Belly on my wedding moon and just basically not being 100%. However, my slightly swollen abdomen bothers me now and I'm concerned that over the next 6-7 months things might worsen to where it would affect my weddingmoon more then being 6 months recovered from admoninal surgery.

I've been mulling over this decision for 3 months now and am having an unbelievable time making a decision.

So I ask all of you... what would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2005, 02:45 PM
What would you do?

Hi TracieM,

That is a tough one - have you asked your doctor how s/he thinks you will feel 6 months out? (too bad surgery does not come with a guarentee ) I think a lot depends on your attitude and fitness going into surgery. You may want to do a search or make another post asking for people 6 months out and see what they say.

Of course you must go with what feels right in your heart, but I think I would want to get the surgery out of the way. If you are sure you are going to have it then waiting could cause other problems.

I also had a penduculated fibroid, only one - 14 cm - and by the time they did surgery it had stretched and smashed my ureter, was squishing my bowel, and had twisted my uterus 180 degrees and pulled my right ovary over to the left side, so I was only able to keep one ovary. Surgery lasted 4 hours and they had to call in a urologist too. I don't want to scare you as everyone is different, and not likely this would happen to you - but just something to consider. I am at 4 weeks now and doing great.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Debbie
Unread 06-21-2005, 04:02 PM
What would you do?

Thanks for your reply to my post Debbie.

May I ask what your symptoms were before the surgery?

I guess that is where I get sideways on the whole issue. I don't have any major symptoms - and I just have a hard time rationalizing having major surgery when I feel fine. I try and look at it as prevenative surgery to avoid/limit damage to my internal organs. Your post helps me to feel better that I do need to take action.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2005, 05:28 PM
What would you do?

Hi,

Symptoms? What symptoms? I actually almost cancelled the surgery because I did not think I had any symptoms. In hindsight that was not completly true, but I never had any abdominal pain (that was amazing to my doctor). I had convinced myself that my slight paunch was just "old age" - I am 48! I lost 10 pounds (down to 130 - I am 5'6") and did a bunch of great ab exercises for the transverse abs that "hold everything in" and the bulge got better - so I just figured it was just the way things go. The fibroid was discovered during a routine exam for heavy bleeding due to hormone fluctuations.

Now that the fibroid is out, I can fit in my jeans even with a bit of swelly belly - and I do feel much lighter "down there". Isn't it amazing what we can convince ourselves?

Again, every situation is different, and I don't want to scare you, but if yours are that big they could be pressing against other organs, etc. Check with your doctor, and maybe get a second opinion. My surgery lasted 4 hours and my ureter (tube between kidney and bladder) was pushed 6 inches out of place. My GYN had to call in a urologist becuase they couldn't find the ureter and then when they did find it they were afraid they were going to have to repair it. As it turned out contrast dye tests showed it still worked OK. In my case, I am REALLY glad I did not wait on the surgery.

Feel free to email me or post. And if you want to see something gross - look at the pic of my beautiful fibroid!

Good luck and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Debbie
Unread 06-21-2005, 07:09 PM
What would you do?

I would have the surgery now so you could enjoy your honeymoon in February. I mean, that is a long way off and plenty of time to recover and above all, feel good! Why put off something that will help you feel better waaaayyy before your wedding?

I guess because I've had numerous abdominal surgeries I can say that; but the swelly belly is very temporary and more often than not, I usually lose weight because I'm rather nauseaus afterwards.

Best wishes and I hope you can make the right decision for you!
Unread 06-23-2005, 09:49 PM
What would you do?

Hello Djknows,

May I ask you, how many opinions did you have before the surgery? I had two so far, the fibroid I have is supposed to be 4 cm, but I relate to you in that my belly is big, it is bigger on the right side, than the left. When I have very bad pain, that side gets hard like a rock and very tender. I did not know I had a fibroid until March this year, since then I have seen two doctors, the second doctor suggested hysteroctomy to remove the fibroid. Now I am in between tests, tomorrow I will find the date for x-rays and then go from there.
Unread 06-23-2005, 10:07 PM
What would you do?

Hi 4cmfibroid, (Hope you don't go by that name at work!!)

Contrary to what everyone says, I did not get a second opinion. I have been going to this doctor for many years and trust him a lot. Plus ultrasound confirmed what he said and once I knew it was there I could easily feel the fibroid myself.

If you are referring to hyster vs. myo, I did not really see any compelling reason to keep a uterus that was causing me so much trouble. I know there are some that would disagree with this, but that was my feeling. My excessive bleeding may have been due to hormones or to golf ball sized internal fibroids or both. Since I am 48 I just didn't see any reason to keep it and still have to deal with bleeding so heavy it was controling my life.

Please let me know if this does not answer your question.

Debbie
Unread 07-04-2005, 05:12 PM
What would you do?

Hi Traciem!
Have you had your surgery yet? How many opinions have you had?

According to my doctor, it is definitely possible to remove large fibroids laparascopically if the surgeon has been trained to use a morcellator (which chops up the fibroids into small pieces) ...and unfortunately, not many have had such training.

I had 3 opinions prior to my surgery this past December...two recommended hysterectomy and the second one said an abdominal myomectomy would be my only other option, given the number(13) and sizes of the fibroids. The third doctor gave me more options, including removing the fibroids laparascopically.

Although my largest one wasn't 11 cm, it was large enough (the size of a tennis ball) and also pedunculated.

I chose to have my surgery done by the third doctor and have been very pleased with the results and the relatively fast recovery (just a couple of weeks).
My "swelly-belly" went away within a month. And I can barely see my 3 incision scars.

I also had a hysteroscopic resection for the submucosal fibroids. I'm told I have 2 tiny fibroids (smaller than 1 mm each) remaining within the wall of my uterus which the doctor could not get to unless he'd done abdominal surgery.
So far, they're not causing me problems and hopefully they won't because I'm 46 and probably just a few years away from menapause anyway.

I'm sure you've probaly been reading about the differences between the two surgeries. Here's a link to a website that was most helpful to me:
http://www.fibroidsecondopinion.com/...myomectomy.htm

I hope some of this helps!

And yes, I would definitely have surgery before your wedding! You have a lot of time to recover.

I wish you the best of luck during your surgery and a speedy recovery!

Take care!

K
Unread 07-04-2005, 08:17 PM
What would you do?

Hi Tracie:

Here is a link to the Fibroids section of our Resources Directory: http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=26 and you can also get good info at www.thefibroidplace.com

Would you be a candidate for one of the less-invasive embolization procedures (UFE)? I hope you are able to find the right answers soon, and are far down the road of recovery in time for your big celebration (and congrats on that!! ).

I am sending huge cyberhugs

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register