Look into Laparoscopic!! - Page 2 | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Look into Laparoscopic!! Look into Laparoscopic!!

Unread 06-24-2005, 01:18 PM
Look into Laparoscopic!!

Here is an article online some of you might be interested in concerning Laparascopic Supracervical Hysterectomy- the article does go into a lot of detail about the procedure:

http://www.obgyn.net/cpp/cpp.asp?pag...niell_morcella

This article's author has comments at the end about removal of the cervix that I found interesting:
"We feel that with modern office screening and treatment of the cervix, that the argument for routine prophylactic removal of the cervix to eliminate the risk of cervical cancer has become archaic. Do we recommend prophylactic removal of the vagina in women undergoing hysterectomy because of the low theoretical risk of vaginal cancer? Clearly, not. Therefore, why do some physicians still insist on prophylactic removal of the cervix in women who are not at significant risk for cervical cancer and who are committed to careful lifetime follow-up.... We agree with Harry Hasson, who has said "the cervix is not a useless organ and should not be removed during hysterectomy without a proper indication.""

Yesterday I had my follow-up exam; 6 weeks post-surgery. I asked my surgeon why it was only now that laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy was becoming more common.

"It was the supracervical that was contraversial," he said.

He went on to say that reseachers have now discovered that cervical cancer develops only in people who have a sexually transmitted virus called HPV, and that cervical cancer is a slow-growing cancer that tends to develop 10-15 years after people get the virus, but only a small portion of those who get the virus actually go on to get cervical cancer. He said that this has changed the thinking in gynocology away from always removing the cervix to tending to want to keep the cervix if pap smears have always been normal and screening for the virus shows no virus present. This has made the LSH procedure more viable for more women.

And then he told me that it appeared to him that I was all better, and didn't need to see him anymore, and that I can just go back to my normal life :-). All better- six weeks post-op.

-Torrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register