PMDD and hysterctomy | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PMDD and hysterctomy PMDD and hysterctomy

Unread 06-27-2005, 01:25 PM
PMDD and hysterctomy

I have been diagnosed with PMDD and started with the Effexor. I felt severly drugged and after 2 weeks have stopped taking it. The last time I was at my dr he mentioned hysterectomy and how that would help my PMDD. I have also had very painful periods all of my life. Well, he said that I would keep my ovaries because of my age (35), but I don't understand how it will help with the PMDD. I called this morning and am going back tomorrow since I have started my period again 2 weeks early and on bc pills. Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2005, 04:56 PM
PMDD and hysterctomy

As I understand it PMDD is a PMS induced mood swing- mostly depressive- is that correct? Effexor is a combination of an SSRI (like Prozac) and norephrineprine (like Wellbrutrin), both of which are antidepressants.

Too frequent periods could also cause anemia, which you could have checked by getting a red blood cell count done- if it is below 10 or so, then you could get very out of breath and not have much energy during a period.

I asked my doctor about what happens to the hormone estrogen when there is a hysterectomy with ovaries saved. He said that estrogen will go down, but will not be completely eliminated.

I'm not entirely sure of the connection between reduced estrogen and fewer PMS symptoms, but perhaps that is what your doctor is referring to.

It is also just physically exhausting to keep up with frequent periods and lots of bleeding all the time- perhaps that is taking a toll on you physically, and contributing to the PMDD problems. Not being able to live "normally" takes a toll on wanting to go out or do anything- I had excessive bleeding for about 2 years before I did anything about it. It has only been 6 weeks since my hysterectomy (ovaries not removed), and I feel much better. I was a bit irritable for one day last month, and then I realized a few days later that that must have been PMS, but not having the painful period that usually followed (not one drop of blood since) was a great relief.

Hope that helps.

-Torrie
Unread 06-27-2005, 06:56 PM
PMDD and hysterctomy

I was never officially diagosed with PMDD but my estrogen was so dominant I was bleeding nonstop and my moods were totally uncontrollable and mostly bad, I really didn't want to be around me. Since the morning after my hyst I began to feel. like a new person. I think I had one day about 2 weeks post op when I sat and cried for no reason and have been fine since and am now 7 months post.

I forgot to mention the 5 1/2 months between EA and hyst were really difficult.

Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2005, 06:13 AM
PMDD and hysterctomy

Thanks so much. I am going today to the dr. I guess I am just scared about the whole thing and I want surgery to be the last thing. Right now I would say do it now. I am on my second period this month and on bc, so I feel awful. My moods are terrible. I am dating this wonderful man and have broken up with him about 5 times and it is at the same time every month. I really don't know why he is still with me because of the hurt that I have caused. It is really like an alien takes over my body and I have no control and I am one that likes to be in control.
Unread 06-28-2005, 09:19 AM
PMDD and hysterctomy

geminiangel6,

It just isn't any good to have 2 weeks out of every 4 weeks being miserable- your friend sounds so great, but it would be terrible to lose him because he wouldn't want to be married to someone who is terribly hard to live with for 2 weeks out of the month and just charming the other two months! Who wants to live with someone who bleeds a lot of the time?

I was like that at work for about the last year, and it was no fun at all- people didn't understand why I would just fall apart and not be able to withstand any stress for 2 weeks out of the month. And then with terrible bleeding (I had lost about 40% of my red blood cells), I just wasn't able to enjoy things at all.

So hopefully you can go to a gynocologist and they can determine what actually is wrong before you decide on a procedure.

But this is not to say that you should give up on the help of a physciatrist. Perhaps the combination of an SSRI and norephrinephine (as Effexor is) was too much for you- some people are extremely sensitive to medication, so you could talk to your psychiatrist about trying just a small amount of an SSRI (like Celexa or Zoloft), or possibly on of the mood stabalizers used for bipolar patients like Lithium, Depakote, or Lamical. There are some very good medications now for controlling mood swings and these might at least help you cope a bit in the short run to get the strength to try to solve the gynocological problems.

Hopefully the gynocologist will be able to figure out what is wrong that is causing you such painful periods. There are much less painful hysterectomy procedures available now than there used to be like the laparoscopic procedures that you might qualify for; any surgery is serious business, but you don't have to be terribly scared of it.

But what you can't do is stick you head in the sand and use your PDDD diagnosis as an excuse not to take some action in solving the problem!

You do want to keep the guy, don't you??

-Torrie
Unread 06-28-2005, 09:41 AM
PMDD and hysterctomy

Thanks for the encourgement. YES!!! I do want to keep him. He called me this morning and told me that he was behind me 100%. That meant so much to me. You know I have read that some times this PMDD comes up after something traumatic in your life. Well, I was divorced a year ago and it seems that my problems have gotten worse since then.

I think my problem with the antidepressants is that I was on them about 10 yrs ago and became suicidal. I know that all meds are not like that and like you said I just need to find the right one.

It is awful feeling this way. I do things during that time that when I am "Sane" look back and think why in the world did I do that. I am very looking forward to talking to the dr and getting started on the road to recovery.
Unread 06-28-2005, 03:42 PM
PMDD and hysterctomy

Keep in touch.

-Torrie
Unread 06-28-2005, 04:06 PM
PMDD and hysterctomy

Dear geminiangel:

Here is a link to two long threads with many other members who are searching for solutions to PMDD:

This one is in Pre-Op: http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...highlight=PMDD

and then, it continues into Post-Op: http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...highlight=PMDD

I hope you are able to find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 06-29-2005, 02:23 PM
PMDD and hysterctomy

Hey girl. Well, the dr wants me to try some natural things before thinking about surgery. He said the surgery would not be a guarantee with the hormones problems since he would leave my ovaries, so I am to cut back on my caffeine, take Vitamin B-6, folic acid and St. Johns Wort. I am really trying to stay positive and hope this will help. Have you tried any of these?
Thanks for the other postings. I have not had a chance to read all of them yet.
Unread 06-29-2005, 06:33 PM
PMDD and hysterctomy

geminiangel6,

Was it a gynocologist that recommended those things to you? A very painful period that started 2 weeks early would indicate that something is wrong in the uterus area, not due to depression but due to something else, possibly a fibroid tumor.

Yes, you could certainly start on the things the doctor mentioned- St. John's Wort is supposed to have antidepressive effects, but I'm not what the clinical trials have shown on it. I've never tried it myself.

As for vitamins and minerals, they would only help if you are deficient in them, and won't help you at all if you aren't deficient, but you can have deficiencies checked with lab tests.

Some things that you could ask for is a red blood cell lab test to see if you are anemic (which is usually an iron or folic acid deficiency). You could also ask for an ultrasound so that they could take a look and see if it may be a fibroid tumor that is causing the painful periods (a fibroid tumor is a benign tumor in the uterus-usually like a golf ball).

I agree that you shouldn't rush into surgery, but you do need to try to find out what is wrong- and it sounds like it is something related to gynocology to me; depression isn't generally related to painful periods, so it sounds to me like there's something else wrong.

Good luck. Keep in touch.

-Torri

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register