post op Lap pain... | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post op Lap pain... post op Lap pain...

Unread 07-02-2005, 03:53 PM
post op Lap pain...

Hello ladies! I hope everyone is doing well and having a good day.

I went in for a Lap on wednesday, and after 14! years, I FINALLY got a diagnosis of endo. The dr did a lap, hysteroscopy, and d&c. I dont know exactly what all he did, my DH ran to get something to eat and missed the Dr when he came out, and I was still out of it from the surgery. I know he told me pre op that he would get rid of any endo he found. My question is this for anyone that went through something similiar....when will the pain chill? I dont know if I'm just trying to rush it or what since it wasn't a major surgery, but I've been taking percocet 2 at a time and they aren't holding the pain at all. I've been sleeping alot, since when I'm asleep I'm not as miserable, but I'm tired of that too. I tried ibuprofen, but that didn't help any. I'm down to my last 2 pain pills, and getting really nervous about what i'm going to do when I run out.

Any words of wisdom would be more than appreciated.

A big to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2005, 08:56 AM
post op Lap pain...

Words of wisdom-pain that is not relieved by the expected prescribed doses of pain meds- needs to be evaluated by the doctor. Not by the office nurse-by the doctor-in person. If your doctor won't see you in a timely fashion- go to the ER. My doctor brushed off my complaint of abdominal pain. After seeing my doctor-I went to the ER later the same day. The ER doctor diagnosed my sutured ureter within minutes of seeing me.
Unread 07-03-2005, 09:03 AM
post op Lap pain...

oceangal,

Sorry that you are in such pain. Last year, I had a LSO, laparoscopy, hysteroscopy and D&C. The procedure was done as an outpatient and I left the hospital 4 hrs after arriving. My pain was controlled with Darvocet and then ibuprofen.

Call your DR and tell him/her that you are in such pain. If your DR is not available due to the holiday weekend, call the phone number on your hospital discharge papers. If that fails, please go to the ER.

You will feel pain even when adequately medicated, but it should not be out of control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2005, 02:32 PM
post op Lap pain...

oceangal,
I've had laporoscopy, hysteroscopy & D&C procedure done twice. Each time was on an out patient basis. Everyone responds differently to pain. The first time I had this done I was in pain for a little over a week. The second time I was back to normal life in about 4 days. For me, percocet did nothing for the pain. I had to use vicodin and there was some times I had to double the dosage. Talk to your DR. They can direct you on what to do, how much to take, etc. Also, ask DR about using heating pad or alternating heat with cold. That seemed to help me quite a bit. Hoping you get the help you need and wishing a speedy recovery.
Unread 07-05-2005, 12:52 AM
post op Lap pain...

Thank you so much for the replies. I've been trying ibuprofen and tylenol alternated today for relief, hasn't touched it. I plan on calling my dr in the am and finding out what to do. I'd thought about trying heat, but was kinda scared to since it hasn't been that long since I'd had the surgery.

Thank you again!
Unread 07-05-2005, 01:06 AM
post op Lap pain...

Hi oceangal!

I called my DR for my 2 surgeries before the hyst to ask about heat and cold. For me he said I could do either. So when the heating pad alone did only a little bit of good, I started alternating. Heating pad for 10-20 minutes then cold for 10-20 minutes. That really worked wonders for me. If I remember correctly, I started doing that on day 2 after my surgery.

I had a hard time getting results from a baggy filled with ice and wrapping in a towel. For the "cold pack" I found that wetting a towel ( leaving some water *not a lot* but some ) then putting it in a baggy and freezing it helped a lot more. When I took it out of the freezer, I wrapped a kitchen towel around it before putting on me.

But like I said, you're DR would be the one to advise you on whether or not to try that. I do hope you get to feeling better soon.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register