Scheduled LSH is lifting patients 2 wks post op possible? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

is lifting patients 2 wks post op possible? is lifting patients 2 wks post op possible?

Unread 08-25-2011, 08:43 PM
is lifting patients 2 wks post op possible?

Hello, I am new here. I was wondering if anyone has had to lift patients (CNA) post op and how long do you have to wait. A lot of what I have read I see folks going back "to work" fairly quickly but that could be a less physical job. I would be lifting 100#+ patients in and out of bed. I am only having my uterus removed. I know this is more of a post op question but it wouldn't let me post there. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Re: is lifting patients 2 wks post op possible?

I had a laprascopicly assisted vaginal hysterectomy, and I was told not to lift anything over 15/20lbs for 6 weeks..... And I am pretty sure that's pretty standard.
Unread 08-25-2011, 09:05 PM

No way.
You need at least 6 if not 8 weeks or more off.
I went back to work as a part-time teacher.
I only worked 4 hours a day, then came home to put my feet up to rest right after lunch.

This was at 3 1/2 weeks. No lifting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2011, 09:52 PM

Thanks girls! I was afraid of that. Ugh! Maybe I'll take easy patients, the ones I only have to help in bed. I'm wondering if the lifting restrictions are different depending on the method used. Most of the LSH sites online stated 2 weeks for this method but maybe that was regarding non-physical jobs. Thanks again!
Unread 08-25-2011, 10:06 PM

I had a Da Vinci hysterectomy and I was told not to lift anything over 5 pounds for 6 weeks after my surgery. I run a home daycare and have had to have my mom work with me to do all of the lifting.
Unread 08-25-2011, 10:08 PM

I keep reading about internal stitches with the LSH but I was under the impression that method didn't need stitches if it was just the removal of the uterus. Am I confused? Thanks girls.
Unread 08-25-2011, 11:54 PM

Hi

You are having your uterus removed....HUGE surgery!!!....I was lifting my daughter (2) at a week only because I am a single mother and had no other choice...I will tell you this - you wont be physically able to go back to work at 2 wks, nor will you be mentally prepared....trust me.....take the time off work.....rest.... heal.......go back too soon and you will regret it forever
Unread 08-25-2011, 11:58 PM

Absolutely NOT. I was told nothing over 5 lbs for 2 weeks, then nothing over 20 lbs until after 8 weeks.
I am just shy of 8 weeks now, and I am feeling great and back to normal...however I wont be lifting still for a long while. As good as I feel, when I strain my tummy, or stretch/turn it too far it pulls and hurts. Thats my warning that I am still healing internally and need to be careful with my body.
Unread 08-26-2011, 12:02 AM

You may not need stitches on the outside (I didnt either) but you will certainly be FULL of hundreds of stitches on the inside no matter what type hyster you have. Removing the uterus involves disconnecting ligaments and major blood vessels/arteries and rerouting them to support your bladder etc.
Unread 08-26-2011, 12:02 AM

Did you both have LSH as well? Thanks ladies.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register