Post Surgery MUST HAVES!!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Surgery MUST HAVES!!!!! Post Surgery MUST HAVES!!!!!

Unread 03-03-2004, 10:46 PM
Post Surgery MUST HAVES!!!!!

Ok, I am 8 days post op and there are a couple of things that you all need to know. First of all, 19 years ago I had a c-section and the experience was aweful. Was expecting that same feeling after this surgery.....WRONG!!!!

There are a couple of must haves that have literally made a difference of night and day...

1. Abdominal Binder.....holds everything firmly in place and you will not feel as though everything is falling out. The comfort level is quite nice.

2. Hospital bed at home. Get your dr to write a prescription and insurance will possibly pick this up. My DH had this in place in the middle of the family room upon my arrival home from the castle. Getting in and out of bed is wonderful, and keeps me in the hub of everything.

3. Gatorade or liquids with electrolights.....Dr told me that sometimes water just does not do the trick to ward off the swelling of legs, feet, hands, etc.

4. Apple Cider Vinegar....I know, plug your noses on this one. But, if you do swell, three tablespoons of this liquid works miracles...I have to chase each table spoon down with a swig of coca cola. Just don't over do the coke...lots of sugars.

5. Books and videos....Daytime television is a bit lacking..and I refuse to get hooked on soaps!!! Been there done that!!! LOL

6. Lotion....Skin gets dry from the whole process. My DH rubs my feet with lotion every night...He is such a sweeite!

7. Make-up....yes, have it handy and put it on. It not only makes you look better ( swelling face needs all the help it can get), but it truly lifts your spirits.

8. Thank you cards. Have these handy in the hospital. The day after surgery I was able to write a few and keeping up with them is important!

9. Stool Softeners.....if your dr does not prescribe on for you, get some over the counter variety and begin taking them. I, personally, take the maximum allowed. Check with your dr on this first though.

What ever it takes to make things easier on you, go for it and good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2004, 01:31 AM

Good list. I'd have to add, hard candy (in my case sugar free).

I've seen other ladies talk about renting a hosp bed, but I was miserable in mine at the hosp. I hate that plastic feeling. I could never imagine wanting one at home.

Blessings,
Mary
Unread 03-04-2004, 05:00 AM

Hi Val,
So glad to hear this surgery was better than your c-section. Mine is scheduled for 3/25, abdominal removal of uterus and cervix. I had two prior surgeries, the first a myomectomy removing 5 huge fibroids. The pain was so intense I thought I'd lose my mind. I was depressed for weeks after and thought I'd never recover. When I had my c-section it was nothing compared to the first surgery. I thought that might be due to the fact that I was more focused on my son and so grateful to finally have a child.
I'm petrified about this surgery. I cannot afford to be out of work for too long, and I'm struggling to get things set up for my son. Thankfully my Mom will be here the first week...
Thanks for all your suggestions. I went out yesterday and bought some stool softeners and gas-x, along with comfy jammies. I'm praying everything will go smoothly...
Thanks again.
Cathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2004, 07:45 AM

what will the apple cider vinegar do?
Unread 03-04-2004, 08:55 AM

Apple Cider Vinegar works as a natural diuretic. It also helps with constipation. Tastes bad. works miracles!
Unread 03-04-2004, 09:46 AM

I agree with the daytime TV comment, but I have satellite, so I usually could find something. I definitely would not have wanted a hospital bed. I loved getting to sleep in my own bed, or on the couch. And I also don't understand why Bewildered had so much swelling. My tummy is a little swelled but that is all. I don't think that is usual for a hysterectomy, and must be from some other problem. I just didn't want new people to think they would all be swelling up all over, because I certainly don't think that's the norm.
Unread 03-04-2004, 10:23 AM

Swelling occurs naturally just from the process of the surgery, laying still more than normal, etc. From reading the many posts here swelling is not that uncommon. Glad that some of you did not experience that, but for those of us that do, the suggestions are for them. Naturally, the swelling does not last long, but the discomfort can be alleviated.
Unread 03-04-2004, 11:50 AM

I'm 6weeks post op, the one thing I would add to this list is a "tummy pillow". A small pillow you can hold against your stomach if you have to cough or worse yet sneeze. I took mine to the hospital with me.

Jean
Unread 03-04-2004, 12:12 PM

One caution about Apple Cidar -- apples can be hard to digest for some people...they are acidy and can cause lots of gas, which you will probably have anyway after surgery. I'd stay away from acidy drinks, and go with simple things like hot water w/lemon.
Unread 03-04-2004, 05:57 PM

i am ordering a lift chair that fully reclines. i am getting the extra wide one from a medical supply store. I think that will be as good as a hospital bed and maybe a bit more cozy. what did it cost to rent the hospital bed? you sound great by the way!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register