First timer. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First timer.  HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! First timer. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread 04-22-2002, 11:56 PM
First timer. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just found out today that i have to have a tah possible ovaries out too, and i am scared to death. My surgery is scheduled for Tues. April 30. that is only a week away. How am i ever going to get things organized just to have the time off for this surgery.

I have no time to think of what is going to happen let alone prepare my kids for what is going on. I am a single mom and have no outside support. any comments and hints will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 12:16 AM
Suzy

WELCOME. Now mate take a deep breath and let it out real slow.........again............. Now mate you will do fine as we are all here to help you. Read the posts, use the pull down menus and pop into chat.
Have you got neighbours who could have your kids? You will need some help especially in the first week. what about a church group or something.
Recovery time is about 6 to 8 weeks, some take less some more. You must take it very easy in the beginning, not overdo. I hope that it all goes well for you. Remember that we are all here for you.
Someone will be along shortly to give more advoce i am sure. Hugs Vicki
Unread 04-23-2002, 12:22 AM
Welcome!

Hi, SuzyQ! Welcome to HysterSisters--a most wonderful place! You've come to the right place for support and helpful info. If you click on the 3 princesses at the top of the page, you'll find pull-down menus with stories and advice for Ladies in Waiting. If your kids are young, you may need to enlist the help of friends and neighbors to care for them the first couple weeks you are home. You will have to be resting with feet up, and only short easy walks allowed. Then you can slowly increase activities, but no lifting, no bending, no heavy housework (including vacuuming), and no standing on your feet for long periods of time until you are cleared by your dr at 6 weeks. The initial recovery period is 6-8 weeks, and healing continues even up to a year later. So it is major surgery, and you will need to pamper yourself while you let your body heal those first 6-8 weeks. I know it sounds overwhelming and it is scary, but many of us have gone through this journey and come out much better for it. I feel great 10 months after my TAH, and am very glad I had it. Read as much as you can here, and ask any questions you think of. We'll try to answer them, and we'll be here to support you all the way! s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 01:33 AM
Fret not about your surgery

Dear SuzyQ,

I had my uterus and ovaries out, (I had an abdominal incision), last October and was surprised at how well it went! I am a nurse and work on the Gyn floor where Hyst. patients recover. I see a broad range of reactions to this surgery, but overall most do quite well. I am a large woman so the worry about wound healing was heavy (pardon the pun) on my mind. If you have much of a tummy be sure to ask for an abdominal binder (kind of like a girdle) to wear to support your abdomen- it really feels good too. And if you have an abdominal fold be sure to have the nurses tuck some absorbent dressings in there so that the moisture that naturally collects won't endanger the incision.

Another piece of advice- get off the IV Morphine or Dilaudid as soon as possible and switch to oral pain medication- a narcotic like Percocet or Vicodin PLUS Ibuprofen. The Ibuprofen really helps more than anything else! The IV stuff just makes a person groggy and prone to nausea.

The biggest problem I had was in getting the plumbing to get going. I bloated up with gas despite walking constantly. I know that I had not been drinking enough water to counteract the dehydation that naturally occurs in addition to the constipating effects of the narcotics. So drink fluids as soon as you are able- take small amounts frequently, and walk, walk, walk. You should also be aware that lying on your back is the worst thing you can do during your recovery. Lying on your sides is good for the lungs, circulation, and most importantly, the belly. It helps push gas and stool through whereas lying on your back allows gas to pooch up and bloat your abdomen- can be so painful you would swear someone was stabbing you with a knife and no medications will help. Avoid chewing ice too as this only adds gas to the belly- if you must have ice then suck it til it is melted.

As for going home, you will want someone to stay with you for at least a couple of days. I was able to do everything for myself but it is reassuring to have someone there just in case. I hope you have someone lined up to watch your children for the first week. You will be able to get about and do things like get a meal and shower etc. but won't have the energy to keep up with them. And you won't be allowed to do ANY heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6 weeks. Driving was also a no-no for 1-2 weeks depending on how you feel.

Count on being sore but not in agony during the recovery period. I recall swearing a few times because I just wanted to be able to lie on my side without feeling the pulling but was surprised that the pain wasn't worse.

Take your favorite pillow in a colored pillowcase with you- hospital pillows suck! Forget about taking any heavy reading material- you won't feel like reading improving stuff; just take something fun to read! If you, like me, get hot easily take a fan with you; hospitals are notoriously hot and this can make for an uncomfortable stay!

Hope this helps; if you want to ask me any questions I would be happy to answer from either a professional or personal viewpoint.

- Ginny (graynolds@mn.rr.com)
Unread 04-23-2002, 01:49 AM
First timer. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi SuzyQ

Good luck to you! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

How old are your kids? I think the best thing to do to prepare them is to simply explain as best you can what you are going to have done and that it will help you to feel better in the long run. I'm sure they love you and will be really glad that you're taking care of yourself. Be sure to also explain to them that you will really need help - theirs and maybe even more if they are really young. I had an LSO and Endo removal with a vertical incision when my kids were 8 and 10. They were great helpers and I really needed it since I am the worlds biggest baby after surgery.

Take Care

EL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register