Walking | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Walking

I had my surgery almost five weeks ago. (It was a month ago yesterday) and I can't seem to progress when I walk. I start to get a little achy even after 2 or 3 blocks. I was wondering if anyone else felt this way. I won't ask if this is normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2013, 11:05 PM
Re: Walking

I had a TAH and it was a while before I could walk more than a block. Even at 6 weeks, down the block and back was all I could do. I'm 11 weeks now and am slowly progressing to walking more but I still have to walk slow and if I walk a lot I get sore so I don't do walking as exercise yet, just going to work or to the store is enough for me right now. I think it will get better as we heal more. Hang in there! Hugs!
Unread 08-12-2013, 05:12 AM

Try to be patient with yourself. Just do a little at a time. Don't try to go all out at once. If you can only walk two blocks, that may be what all our body wants you to do right now.

Each day add just a little more. So for example, if today you can only walk 10 minutes, then tomorrow add 30 seconds or a min. to it. Then the next day add a little mire if your body allows it. Don't push yourself to exhaustion.

Listen to your body. Everyone is different and progresses at a different rate. Your body will get to where it needs to be exactly when it needs to get there

Lots of ((HUGS)) to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2013, 08:30 AM

I am right there with you, well actually behind you a bit in distance. I used to exercise quite a bit before surgery too. I walked, jogged rode bikes and lifted weights.. I know some people can bounce right back, but i still get fatigued and need to use what little energy i have for housework and errands. Its nice to finally do that. If i walk to much that twingy pain starts and i dont like that. I want to heal a little more.
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:00 AM

Thank you everyone. This helps!
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:29 AM

Rderby,

I work at a company that provides fitness experts to its employees. Their rule of thumb is to increase physical activity by 10 percent per week to avoid overdoing it and injuries. So if you are doing 1,000 steps a day now, do 1,100 steps a day next week and keep increasing gradually. You can apply it to weight lifted or reps or distance or time exercising.

I tend to get too big for my britches when it comes to exercise and then overdo it, so this rule of thumb has really worked well for me in the past and I am using it now in recovery. I'm 5 days Post-Op, so I'm increasing 10 percent a day, which starting from virtually nil isn't very much. When I hit my step limit per day, then I'll convert to 10 percent increase per week from here on forward.

I also find that having an achievable goal motivates me and makes me feel good when I accomplish it, even if it's maybe a little slow for my taste. I hope this helps!

lrsister
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsister View Post
Rderby,

I work at a company that provides fitness experts to its employees. Their rule of thumb is to increase physical activity by 10 percent per week to avoid overdoing it and injuries. So if you are doing 1,000 steps a day now, do 1,100 steps a day next week and keep increasing gradually. You can apply it to weight lifted or reps or distance or time exercising.

I tend to get too big for my britches when it comes to exercise and then overdo it, so this rule of thumb has really worked well for me in the past and I am using it now in recovery. I'm 5 days Post-Op, so I'm increasing 10 percent a day, which starting from virtually nil isn't very much. When I hit my step limit per day, then I'll convert to 10 percent increase per week from here on forward.

I also find that having an achievable goal motivates me and makes me feel good when I accomplish it, even if it's maybe a little slow for my taste. I hope this helps!

lrsister
I don't count my steps, just blocks. When I started walking in the hospital, I walked down to one end of the hall and back and increased a little more each time. I assume walking one time around the block was a good start (when I began recovery at home) I have been doing it that way for awhile. I guess when my back began to ache, I should head home instead of going on. Also I do it one or two more times a day but now I decreased to two times. Maybe Just a block at a time is enough until my back is better.
Unread 08-12-2013, 12:51 PM

I am @ day 7 and use a product called UP,it counts steps,before surgery I use to do about 10k a day or worked out...I am at about 2500 steps a day and that is broken up ...I have been trying for about 300 more a day....it is tough and my body told me off for yesterday this morning...it is better to try and hear our bodies say sit down take a load off when we are use to being super women
Unread 08-12-2013, 01:50 PM

Deinfately slowly increase what you do but don't push to hard. I started with a couple blocks which increased to a mile. I then kept to that distance and just focused on walking a bit faster and I started timing myself to see the improvement. Now I am back up to my normal walking speed.

Having a goal really helps. Just don't push to hard to fast. And remember that everyone heals at different rates.
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsister View Post
Rderby,

lrsister
I counted how many steps a whole block is and it is about 350. So that would be 1400 maybe for 4 blocks. I guess that means I have been doing too much. I remembered when I started walking in the hospital--it was just up and down the hall and a little later around the corner. I guess I should just do a block at a time or maybe two blocks

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register