3 weeks to go and getting scared | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 weeks to go and getting scared 3 weeks to go and getting scared

Unread 06-18-2004, 10:39 PM
3 weeks to go and getting scared

Hello all. I am 30 years old and I have never really had major surgery. I went for a yearly apt and discovered that I have growing inside of me rather rapidly a fibroid tumor. Right now my uterus is measuring 21" length x 14" with x11" deep. That's pretty big. I am scared. Really scared. I will be having surgery on July 15th. I am having abdominal surgery. The thing that scares me the most is that my Dr. has said repeatedly that he feels that it is a fibroid, but he said that the ultrasound lab did not come out and say that this is what it. He's just sure that it is. Has anyone else had this experience? Also, has anyone had to have one this large in size removed? How was the surgery? Should I be this worried? How was your recovery? Please help if you have any answers for me!
Thanks,
Nicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2004, 10:51 PM

Hi,

That does sound pretty large to me, but think how much better you will feel after. It is so much better out than in.

My surgery was a lot less painful than I expected, please don't be scared. I know how scared I was before, but really, it is not that bad. ( I wouldn't do it for fun though...). I had mine on Monday and am feeling pretty good now, very little pain, only bad when I wake up, even then no worse than a regular period pain, which I had all the time before anyway. Don't need to pee every half hour. Hooray! Coughing hurts, and getting out of bed, but really it's mostly fine.

Good luck!

xxx
Unread 06-18-2004, 10:53 PM

hey shortstop
my uterus was, in the words of my doc "grossly enlarged" I don't know what that means in terms of size (and I don't think I want to! lol) I can say this though, my incision seems awfully LONG to me. I had a TAH BSO almost 8 weeks ago and my recovery has gone pretty smoothly. The pain was never unbearable and I was able to keep it under control with meds. The first few weeks I was sore and felt pretty fragile but I honestly felt a little better every day.
As for the growth/fibroid....they're usually nothing serious. He's a professional, if he feels that's what it is, he's probably right.
Try not to worry too much, and the best of luck to you!
Keep us posted as to your progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2004, 11:03 PM

Hi,

Forgot to say, when they do the op, they usually send everything off for testing anyway, as a matter of routine. My ultrasound would not say for sure that it was fibroids either. Try not to worry too much about that side of it. It is still better out than in!

xxx

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register