Incision site redness and pain 1 week post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Incision site redness and pain 1 week post hysterectomy Incision site redness and pain 1 week post hysterectomy

Unread 08-23-2016, 07:13 PM
Incision site redness and pain 1 week post hysterectomy

Hi Ladies.

I had a TAH/BSO with a vertical incision from belly button to groin 1 week ago. I have staples that are due to be removed on Thursday. Today I'm having more pain from the area and there are some really red areas around some of the staples but the largest is probably only 1 cm. I have a temp of 100.2. I'm waiting for the on call doc to call back but just wondering if anyone has dealt with anything similar. I think my anxiety is probably making my pain worse than it really is.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2016, 07:21 PM

Definitely take a deep breath. It is good that you called the doctor sweet lady. Please let us know how you are doing!*hugs*
Unread 08-23-2016, 07:57 PM
Re: Incision site redness and pain

Hello PurpleBloom,

I too had a TAH plus, and the area around my incisions were red and felt very sore. I called my doctor and was asked several questions: if there was pus, oozing, yellow discharge, if the area was hot to the touch and if I had a fever. I was lucky, as my staples were getting removed the next day and I had no signs of infection.

I am glad you are calling the doctor just for your peace of mind. I had no idea what to expect as my discharge instructions were useless. I calmed down once I started reading articles and threads on this site - otherwise, I would have continued to be a nervous wreck.

Please let us know what you find out.

Hugs and feel better.
Unread 08-23-2016, 10:36 PM
Re: Incision site redness and pain

Thanks Ladies.

My primary doc's office called back and said they thought I might need to go in for some IV antibiotics but that I should call the surgeon's office directly. (I had called the surgeon's office earlier but got a voicemail that said my call was too late in the day to be answered today) So I called there and one of my doc's partners called back and seemed angry with me for calling primary care. :-/ She said to go to urgent care now or call the office to be seen first thing in the a.m. I opted for the latter but am now regretting it, as I HURT.

I'll update tomorrow.
Unread 08-23-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Bloom View Post
Thanks Ladies.

My primary doc's office called back and said they thought I might need to go in for some IV antibiotics but that I should call the surgeon's office directly. (I had called the surgeon's office earlier but got a voicemail that said my call was too late in the day to be answered today) So I called there and one of my doc's partners called back and seemed angry with me for calling primary care. :-/ She said to go to urgent care now or call the office to be seen first thing in the a.m. I opted for the latter but am now regretting it, as I HURT.

I'll update tomorrow.
Sorry you're having this trouble! And I never know which office to call for what. I hope you can sleep tonight, and get some good antibiotics tomorrow.
Unread 08-24-2016, 04:25 PM
Re: Incision site redness and pain 1 week post hysterectomy

Please let us know the outcome of all this.

I truly hope you feel better.
Unread 08-24-2016, 07:25 PM

Thanks for checking in!

I slept pretty well overnight. Left a message on the nurse line at the surgeon's office. They didn't call me back! :-0. Although I did say that I had an appointment tomorrow to get the staples removed, so maybe they misunderstood.

In any case I felt quite a bit better today and my temp went down so I didn't call again. Incision is still quite red. I'll see what she has to say tomorrow and update then.

Thanks for the support, Ladies. Love to you.
Unread 08-24-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Bloom View Post
Thanks for checking in!

I slept pretty well overnight. Left a message on the nurse line at the surgeon's office. They didn't call me back! :-0. Although I did say that I had an appointment tomorrow to get the staples removed, so maybe they misunderstood.

In any case I felt quite a bit better today and my temp went down so I didn't call again. Incision is still quite red. I'll see what she has to say tomorrow and update then.

Thanks for the support, Ladies. Love to you.
Sleep well! Hoping you get those staples out- I can't even imagine that. Even if you need the incisors steri stripped, that would be better. Hope you're feeling better soon!
Unread 08-25-2016, 06:35 AM
Re: Incision site redness and pain 1 week post hysterectomy

I had lots of staples removed and while it stung a bit, it wasn't as bad as my memory imagined. I was told to take an otc pain reliever and rest that day.

Good luck Purple Bloom.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register