Heart Palpitations | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Heart Palpitations Heart Palpitations

Unread 11-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Heart Palpitations

I've been having heart palpitations (scary and annoying) for some time now (went to the ER a couple of weeks ago). They did an EKG and blood work (didn't find anything). I'm following up with my cardiologist in a couple of weeks.

Do heart palpitations have anything to do with menopause? I had my uterus and cervix removed 12/03/2003, and I had my ovaries removed 7/14/2010.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Re: Heart Palpitations

Ugh, I can't stand heart palpitations, I feel for you! I too get heart troubles, tachycardia and arrythmia. I have a mitral valve prolapse which is a really common valve problem that sometimes has those symptoms, but hadn't had trouble for years. A couple of months prior to my hyster I started having symptoms again and went to the cardiologist. Several tests later everything checked out fine, but he did tell me that menopause can cause cardiac symptoms. I'm now on a low dose beta blocker to keep things stable and feel much better for it. I also went on ERT post hyster and am hoping that will help too. Prior to getting on the meds I would get short of breath, dizzy, weak, exhausted, etc., but most of that is resolving now. I'll keep my fingers crossed your appt with the cardiologist goes well and you'll get some relief. Good luck, take care of yourself and hang in there!
Unread 11-15-2011, 12:32 PM

I saw a website that listed 34 symptoms of menopause and palpitations was right on the top of the list. I too have MVP and sometimes get the palps once in a while. Very disturbing when they start. I seemed to have had them for a couple of weeks after surgery but thankfully they have stopped. I also know others going through menopause having the palps too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2011, 08:55 PM

Thanks for responding calnative and dee2827.

Anyone else experience heart palpitations?
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:04 PM

Yes and I hate them!!
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbolton View Post
Yes and I hate them!!
Have you found out why you have them? How long have you been dealing with them? Did they do anything about yours?
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:35 PM

Been having them related to anxiety before menopause. Menopause brought them on too then hyster after that.Nothing done for them as they come and go away. I just try to get my mind on other things or lay down and relax and breathe. I usually check my pulse cause it feels like it is super fast but never is as high as I feel it is. Dr asked me if pulse ever gets to 100 and stays there and that is a No.
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:52 PM

Low estrogen levels can cause palpitations; they did for me, and raising my HRT dose stopped them.

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:44 AM

I get them too! I hate them as well for it is scary for you think is this normal. I had 2 surgeries within one year and I had them slightly after my first surgery and had a complete hysto Sept 1st. and on this 2nd surgery I get them somewhat frequently. My GP says a lot of people get them. I'm on the Climara patch in the middle strength, I'm going to monitor to see when I get them more, maybe closer to the time I have to change my patch. I may need a higher strength of estrogen? I also had gone to emergency and they did an EKG and I did blood work and everything was good. Indigestion and burping maybe a factor too??? Does anyone have more insight on this or experience in reference to heart palpitations?
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:00 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I had a visit with my cardiologist yesterday. My EKG does show I'm having an extra heart beat (now we have to find out why). I'll be going back soon for more tests. I'm so glad I have a cardiologist that I can talk with. He's always been great.

I hope everyone is doing well.

adding on: BTW, I'm not on any hrt due to history of cancer, and I will not be getting on any hrts. I'm still not having an hot flashes, and I'm still so very thankful for that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register