Questions about LAVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about LAVH Questions about LAVH

Unread 06-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Questions about LAVH

Hello I am scheduled July 11 ,2006 for a Lavh, and I am terrified, the doctor is going to leave my ovaries, but remove the cervix and uterus. I have had surgery before for cancer cells in the cervix but it came back and the bleeding, and pain are terrible. I am looking for any advice from anyone who has had a Lavh, and anyone else who has had past experience of similar problems. Am I doing the right thing? Please help
Jennlynn04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Questions about LAVH

Hi Jennlynn
I am having a TVH on the 6th for the same reasons as you. I am still pre-op so I cant really help, but I wanted to wish you luck with your surgery.
Unread 06-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Questions about LAVH

I had LAVH on May 23rd. Everything went very well and I feel great now--much better than I expected to feel-- I was scared too. Try not to worry too much-- waiting is the hardest part. But if you have any specific questions or concerns, just ask-- someone here can help you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Questions about LAVH

Thank you so much for wishing me well with my surgery. I wish you well and good luck to you too. Have a great Day!!
Jennlynn04
Unread 06-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Questions about LAVH

I also had LAVH back March 14. I had pre-cancer cell on cervix and uterus. The doctor told me he wanted to try keep my ovaries and I was able too. I know that you are scared and I was to. I never had any major problems. I was back at work at 4 weeks with my doctors permission. And now I feel wonderful. So my thought and prayer are with you.
Unread 06-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Questions about LAVH

LAVH on May 8th, worst problem I had was bladder spasms. Advice--don't let them discharge you until you can void on your own. I couldn't, and was straight cathed, and sent home. The next day I was in the emergency room in excruciating pain from a very full bladder and spasms. The surgery itself went well.
Unread 06-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Questions about LAVH

I had LAVH March 23, with BSO. The first few hours after surgery were hard for me, but by evening I was getting more comfortable and if I hadn't had an IV and cath...I would have liked to get up and walk. Best advice is to walk as much as you can. And, as Ruby7962 said...be sure you can void on your own before you go home. In my case my bladder was a little slow so they sent me home with some straight caths to self cath...and I did have to do that the first day home. (I could have worn a in-dwelling cath home if I preferred...but I thought that might just prolong the recovery period so went the other route. Either way, as long as you have resources for dealing with it once you get home, you'll be fine.) Medicine for bladder spasms was also helpful for me and things improved steadily once I got that. If you are mentally prepared for these little difficulties (ask for what you think you'll need before you leave the hospital), I don't think you'll be faced with anything you can't handle. It sure helps to have someone there that first day for reassurance and company...so if hubby or someone can go with you I think you'll be glad they are there. On the second day I didn't really need anyone there, which allowed my husband to go back to work part of the day and me to sleep on and off as I wished. Good luck with your surgery...I'm sure you'll be amazed at how well you get through it.
Unread 06-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Questions about LAVH

Hey there, Jennlynn. I had my LAVH over a year ago! I can't believe it's been that long. Seems like it was just yesterday that I was where you are and as hard as it is to believe, the waiting really is the hardest part.

I just took a trip down memory lane and read some of my previous posts. I didn't realize it had been so long since I had been here! This is my hyst-story LAVH- I've been waiting to write this! and if you're wandering around the Hyst-Stories, try to avoid the ones that had complications. Scared me even more!

You may want to try keeping a journal. It's a good place to keep track of questions and a place to "put" fears. Don't be afraid to ask your doctor or surgeon your questions and ask around here too. The support you'll receive here is unlike anything I've ever seen before.

Take care of you and be well!
Unread 06-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Questions about LAVH

I had an LAVH with BSO on May 18th. The gas pains have been the worst part. Everything else feels much better. I agree with above posts, don't leave the hospital until your ready. I stayed 3 days after because dr didn't want me to leave to early. Make sure to let your dr know exactly how your feeling when they do rounds. He had to change meds but other than that everything was wonderful.
PS. Make sure that you ask for stool softeners! They are a lifesavor.
Unread 06-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Questions about LAVH

Hey! I am having a LAVH and removing 1 ovary & fallopian tube on June, 26th. I don't have any advice for you but just wanted to wish you luck and wish you peace of mind in this time.

Kim

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register