Skin Sensitivity | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Skin Sensitivity Skin Sensitivity

Unread 06-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Skin Sensitivity

Hi Folks
I hope that everyone is having a good day and recovering well.
I have noticed since my op in March that my skin seems increasingly sensitive to fabrics and also the heat.
It doesn't hurt but it is close .
I seem more aware of sheets that I'm sleeping of and clothes that I wear (this is all over my bod, not just down below). It is increasingly bothering me as I have eczema anyway it is adding to my issues.
I haven't come across anyone mentioning it on the forum before so Im wondering whether it is to do with the op or a separate issue.....
Looking forward to hearing from you

Kitty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2010, 01:27 PM
Re: Skin Sensitivity

I have that problem too! Mine is mainly in the stomach area. A wrinkle in the sheets or in my nightgown can drive me crazy! I had to quit wearing a nightgown that had pockets because the extra fabric would hurt. I was also sleeping with a pillow under my belly, which made a soft "bed" for it- but the corners of the pillow case would drive me crazy! I have no idea what causes this hypersensitivity, but I didn't have it before the surgery. I wish it would go away- I think I would be a lot more comfortible!
Unread 06-18-2010, 01:42 PM

Thank you Jan. I thought it was just me!!! It is seriously uncomfort table. i have invested in 100% cotton sheets but it is seriously uncomfortable. Even pillow cases which were cool and soft on my face feel harsh. Strange....
x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2010, 06:20 PM

Pillows have been a problem since my surgery. Some nights they feel hard and I wake up with the side of my face and head hurting! I rarely sleep more than four hours because I wake up with a comfort issue. What is strange is that a section in the middle of my stomach doesn't have any feeling at all- and what does have feeling is hypersentitive. Waistbands are so uncomfortible too- but sometimes I just move them 1/2 inch and I get relief. I seriously thought this was too wierd to mention- but I'm glad I have found a hypersentitive buddy!
Unread 06-19-2010, 04:26 AM

yayy. I hope this wears off, if not I think i will speak to my GP.
Unread 06-19-2010, 11:13 AM

Are you taking any hormones? I thought that this could be a side effect, because my skin seems to have become softer since I have started taking Premarin. I have also had hip pain when laying on my side- are you having that as well? My hip bone against the bed hurts.
Unread 06-19-2010, 11:31 AM

No I am not taking any hormones. I retained my ovaries but I suspect that I am entering the early stages of the menopause anyway as I am having other symptons having thought about it. I think I am going to call my GP on Monday.
It really is uncomfortable and Im not not able to wear certain clothes now. I'm experiencing it all over - my back, my arms, my face, and legs. It is almost a painful sensation.
x
Unread 06-19-2010, 12:11 PM

Hmmmm... I thought hormones might be to blame. I know how uncomfortible it is- but am not having it all over like you are having. And I would describe it as painful- it wakes me up at night and I can't get back to sleep because I am so uncomfortible. Do you still have swelly belly? I do, and that plus the skin issues make wearing most of my clothes very uncomfortible. Please let me know what your doctor has to say- I would be very interested in knowing. Sending you comforting thoughts!

Jan
Unread 06-19-2010, 12:33 PM

yes Im still getting swelly belly when I over do it. I've just finished my second week back to work and am so glad to be back and using my brain again. Im still not able to wear jeans or tight trousers etc. Im wearing dresses to work and wearing either pj bottoms or yoga trousers and my big granny pants. it is getting better though! Plus it meant I had an excuse to go clothes shopping for a completely new wardrobe to wear to work lol.
Thank you for your kind wishes.
Unread 06-23-2010, 08:45 AM

An update.
I reported my symptons to my doctor and Im going to have a blood test just to double check that I am not having the menopause. She said it could be number of reasons im having symptons - lasting effects from the anaesthetic & op, being menop'l, or not producing enough oestrogen.
I hope to find out more soon.
xxx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register