Scheduled TAH Questions and concerns for July 2nd and life thereafter | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions and concerns for July 2nd and life thereafter Questions and concerns for July 2nd and life thereafter

Unread 06-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Questions and concerns for July 2nd and life thereafter

Hi ladies. I'm a new "old" member. I joined back in 2007 after having my right ovary removed and part of my left due to two teratoma/dermoid cysts. The DR decided to leave what he could of my left ovary because at the time I was 22 and childless.

Well, another teratoma has formed on my remaining bit of ovary. Pre op is June 30. Surgery is July 2. I opted for a TAH simply because I felt that if I was going to lose my only ovary, what's the point in keeping the rest.

I have been trying to look into a lot of things but there's so much it's making my head spin. It's also really hard to get contact with my DR, especially because I feel like a bum because I lack insurance this time.

It's all so frustrating and overwhelming. So I'll start with the basics:

Because I've had surgery before, is this going to make it harder or easier to recover (you know except the removal of the uterus)?

I have a 30 minute drive home after surgery. I also have 3 flights of stairs to go up to get into my apartment. Should I ask a friend to help my husband get me in the house? Last time I walked around the hospital pretty well and felt pretty squirrely. Never over did it though so I'm not sure about 3 flights just to get in the house.

I am on BC right now. No one has said to stop taking it, so I keep on because it won't hurt... right? For all I know this is the only hormone I'm getting at the moment. The cyst is 15cm so I'm thinking that if the trama from the first surgery didn't kill it, this cyst probably has.

What are my options for HRT? The DR has said I will need it and after reading a few things, I've decided to go ahead with it because I am so young. How costly is HRT? Without insurance I'm scared that not too many options are open. I have no clue about the cost or how I am going to find my balance when I'm going to have to make monthly payments to a bank because I have to take out a small loan for surgery.

I've already started a list of questions for the DR and attending nurses during my stay. Things like what sort of exercises are good for those muscles that have been cut to retone them *after* I get the okay from the DR to move around a bit more freely.

I've been pretty talkative with my dad, MIL, and DH. But I still find myself so mad-at-the-world. I just sort of float on through the day and my new mantra is along the lines of "We're overpopulated as a species. Mother Nature finds ways to cut that back. Mother Nature just added me to her scorecard," which helps. But it doesn't quell the worries.

Reading your stories, advice, and suggestions have definitely helped. I guess I just wanted to pop in and say "Hey I'm official now!" haha

Much love to you ladies. Thanks so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Re: Questions and concerns for July 2nd and life thereafter

It sounds like you are dealing with a lot of different things. I am not sure about all those stairs right after surgery. I know I had trouble with three steps. May need some help with that. I know that the cost of medicine varies by what they prescribe and is there a generic for it? Tough to tell what would work for you.
Please don't feel like a bum because you don't have insurance. You need to ask the questions and payor source should not affect the doctor getting back to you. If you have questions, the doctor is the one who can answer and I would just be persistent until you get him. It really comes down to you feeling like you know more about this and feeling comfortable. Sending lots of hugs and best wishes.
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:31 PM

As to HRT costs---many pharmacy chains have some of the generics for $4/mo, so if you coordinate that with what the Dr tries, its affordable. Otherwise brand names get pricey. Stairs---I'd think just DH alone could assist, but if its possible, could be good to have assistance. Personally I had stairs and did fine but with a TVH. Chances are, you'll do fine post op. Maybe get a list from your pharmacist for the HRT discounted? Your Dr may have samples but unless he totally supples you, consider asking for something affordable. It can easily be
$60/mo for me without ins help. Hope all goes well for you and your recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2010, 06:37 AM

Just want to say welcome again. I also joined the site in 2007 when I had myomectomy. I'm "officially" going in tomorrow. Sorry I can't answer the post-op questions but many post-op sisters come back to help. Many sisters say waiting is the toughest part, I had a few meltdowns but I'm surprisingly calm today. Good luck with everything.
Unread 06-03-2010, 06:47 AM

Moundella -

3 flights of stairs is a lot, you need to take those slowly. If you have a railing and with your husband's help you should be okay but if you feel better with the extra help go for it.

Talk to your Dr. about the BC, there is a certain point before your surgery usually 7 to 10 days where they want all medications stopped so you have to ask.

HRT can be a challenge, as mentioned talk to your Dr. about your situation and see if you can find some low-cost options.

Make sure you check out the Hysterectomy Checkpoints and the Pre-Op menu about for information and articles that might be helpful.

G.
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:39 AM

I had my TAH 5/3 with a bikini cut. My drive home was about 20 minutes and not as bad as I thought it might be. Make sure whoever is driving goes around corners as slowly as possible, that's what kinda of hurt. I bought a furry neck pillow at Bed, Bath & Beyond to hold on my tummy for walking around the hospital and I also held it there for the trip home. Also try reclining the car seat after you get in and that will help take some of the pressure off your tummy.

I had to go up almost two flights of stairs when I got home. I tried to pull myself up the railing with my arms and just went up one step at a time using my stronger leg. Take time to rest a few seconds on the landings. Once you get there you will feel so much better being home!

Take it easy and get plenty of rest and you will be up and around in no time!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register